Budget action

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to do my first rifle build and trying to keep the price as low as possible. Of the $1,000 or below action what is your favorite and why? Im not looking to build some super light weight gun, but also am not looking for a boat anchor either. These actions hit the price point Im looking to spend. Am I missing any others? Is there something thats just a smidge over $900-1,000 I should consider? If so why? Please justify. I can afford more but should I? Will I gain much by spending more?

-Bat Igniter LA
-Defiance Classic LA
-Mack Brothers EVO II LA

low2497

FNG
Take this with a grain of salt, as I have no experience with custom actions. The Aero Precision Solus has caught my attention and finally has me starting to consider piecing together a custom rifle. You may want to look into it. Would love to hear if any members here have spent some time with one.

Currently on sale for $650 at Primary Arms.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Origin and Coup de Grace are go to budget actions. There are some by Defiance I think as well. They hold their value.

If you go more budget, you should just consider a high quality factory like Seekins to Tikka and some Bergara.

There are others like Solus and Mack bros, but they are like nice+ factory actions, having more warts, being sold as custom, based on reviews I have seen. Probably nothing to sneeze at, but not considered the same by the market right now.

All depends on what you want to do.

Do you want a nice budget rifle?
Or, do you want a budget custom rifle?
Also, do you want prefits, Rem 700 platform, stock options, control round feed, 90 or less bolt throw, two or three lug, resale value, etc?

Hope this gets you into the right decision process to decide. What do you prioritize highest to lowest?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Will add some more, to give more context. Manufacturing ability has blurred the line between “factory” and “custom”.

Is the Solus a factory or custom action?
Is Aero a custom AR builder or a high quality factory AR builder?

It sounds like you want the budget action of a high quality premium action company.

That is a different category than the highest quality budget action IMO, like Mack and Solus. Nothing against them, and the only reason I don’t have a rifle built on an Evo II is because it wasn’t in stock.

The difference is probably small, but IMO the market will differentiate between a budget defiance and a budget custom Solus by Aero on resale.

Typically the budget actions by makers like Defiance and Zermat and ARC cut features, finishes, or steel type, but maintain the quality and reputation.

And, consider if you didn’t buy the premium brand, will you regret it later.

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Will add some more, to give more context. Manufacturing ability has blurred the line between “factory” and “custom”.

Is the Solus a factory or custom action?
Is Aero a custom AR builder or a high quality factory AR builder?

It sounds like you want the budget action of a high quality premium action company.

That is a different category than the highest quality budget action IMO, like Mack and Solus. Nothing against them, and the only reason I don’t have a rifle built on an Evo II is because it wasn’t in stock.

The difference is probably small, but IMO the market will differentiate between a budget defiance and a budget custom Solus by Aero on resale.

Typically the budget actions by makers like Defiance and Zermat and ARC cut features, finishes, or steel type, but maintain the quality and reputation.

And, consider if you didn’t buy the premium brand, will you regret it later.
Thanks for the replies. I’m slightly confused. Do you consider the Mack bros evo ii or defiance classic (both I’d consider budget based off price. But not the brand name) premium brand or not? I think you are saying they are not but you would build off an evo ii. Sorry not being difficult just making sure I comprehend 😀

B23

WKR
Looking to do my first rifle build and trying to keep the price as low as possible. Of the $1,000 or below action what is your favorite and why? Im not looking to build some super light weight gun, but also am not looking for a boat anchor either. These actions hit the price point Im looking to spend. Am I missing any others? Is there something thats just a smidge over $900-1,000 I should consider? If so why? Please justify. I can afford more but should I? Will I gain much by spending more?

-Bat Igniter LA
-Defiance Classic LA
-Mack Brothers EVO II LA
BAT Igniter gets my vote. There are numerous very good actions on the market to choose from. The BAT HR is one of my favorites but I also have a Kelbly and a Stiller. I don't think my Stiller is quite at the BAT level but it's still been a good piece and I've had no issues with it.

For awhile Stiller actions were very popular, likely because they cost a little less, and were being used a lot but I can't remember the last time I saw or read about somebody using a Stiller action for their build.

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
BAT Igniter gets my vote. There are numerous very good actions on the market to choose from. The BAT HR is one of my favorites but I also have a Kelbly and a Stiller. I don't think my Stiller is quite at the BAT level but it's still been a good piece and I've had no issues with it.

For awhile Stiller actions were very popular, likely because they cost a little less, and were being used a lot but I can't remember the last time I saw or read about somebody using a Stiller action for their build.
I heard stiller started to go down hill and lost following. Then they were sold and the new owners kept the name. Sounds like quality is back to normal but they are rained by the name. Or so I was told. Not sure how true any of it is

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the market, Defiance and BAT are premium action companies. That's what they do. Both those names are well known for premium actions. They hold value well and lots out there.

Mack Bros built and sold suppressors until 2018 when they started making custom actions. The price point of their actions is lower. Nothing I have seen shows that Mack Bros is bad, a lot good. But, are they making actions with the same precision as Defiance and BAT and charging $300 less? Are the "good enough" for what you want?

As I said, I almost bought an EVO II when it was relatively new, but I was looking for the cheapest action that would take Rem 700 threaded barrel. Lots of initial reviews and others that follow say its a good action. I didn't care about all the features in Defiance or name reputation.

I ended up buying a trued up PTG Rem 700 action because of availability instead of the EVO. I've since sold that rifle too, cause it was great and I sold it because of the bolt throw and spring ejector. You could have a very good action for less than the EVO II with that.

The Coup de Grace from ARC is in the same budget, but on backorder right now. You might find a Nucleus or Archimedes in stock somewhere. The ARC actions very large departures from the typical action, the owner Ted is a crazy scientist kind of designer willing to break the mold.

I prefer the Nucleus action because I want the swapable bolt face, 80 degree bolt throw, mechanical ejector, control round feed, Rem 700 platform and Savage barrel threads. The Archimedes and Coup de Grace have a "pivoting" bolt handle for primary extraction.

Some choose based on the "feel" of running the bolt. Many HATE Nucleus because it has a "sloppy" bolt compared to Defiance and BAT if you run it in the gunstore. But, running it in the field, my bolt will still run if it gets a little messy in dirt or rain. Defiance is so slick and tolerance so nice that they can bind with a little slop according to reports.

In my opinion, the ARC actions are superior field actions because of sloppy bolt, the control round feed, and mechanical ejector. There are fewer points of failure. But, I also know that they are unique and depart from what people expect.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong in that price range. You might find something that you prefer more, but you'll have an awesome gun.

If you know any personal preferences or what you want about the action, list those out.

WKR

WKR
Check out kelbly nanook or atlas, or the atlas lite if you don't want an integral rail. Order from brownells and use a promo code....I got a nanook awhile back for under $1200

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gotcha. Thank you very much
Your question what you would gain by spending more? Really, you don't get much more with a custom than buying a Tikka for the action, if you are considering reliability and quality. Before, the Rem 700 customs were the choice to build off of because of the aftermarket parts for it. But, at this point there is a ton of stuff out there for Tikka. So, there is a mystique and reputation built into "custom" actions.

Everything else you could buy from the EVO II price is going to bring diminishing returns for every $100 bucks. Don't feel like you'll lose out. On the other hand, if you want something don't skimp out and regret it.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I would say the zermatt origin would be a solid other option. I have a few hundred rounds down a buddies aero solus and I can say I wasn't impressed with it when I first looked at it but after shooting it a bit and the action breaking in I was really impressed. Especially for the price it goes on sale for im half tempted to buy one just to have for a build in the future that I dont even have plans for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sorry to the OP, but I am jumping in here because it seems like there are some experienced builders on this thread, and I have a question that maybe you could benefit from as well. I could be wrong, but is the BAT a 60 degree bolt throw? I currently have a browning and a tikka with a 60 and a 70 degree hold throw, respectively. Have you had any issues with scope clearance with a 90 degree bolt throw, and wish you had a 60 degree bolt throw? Also, are there any other 60 degree bolt throw actions that you all recommend?

OP

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to the OP, but I am jumping in here because it seems like there are some experienced builders on this thread, and I have a question that maybe you could benefit from as well. I could be wrong, but is the BAT a 60 degree bolt throw? I currently have a browning and a tikka with a 60 and a 70 degree hold throw, respectively. Have you had any issues with scope clearance with a 90 degree bolt throw, and wish you had a 60 degree bolt throw? Also, are there any other 60 degree bolt throw actions that you all recommend?
Very helpful questions!

Dos XX

WKR
I like the look of this one. It is $1300.