lpvo for dedicated pig rifle

brushape

WKR
I’m in the process of building a 6.5 Grendel as a dedicated hog gun for some deprivation work in doing on a large property out here. I generally can get in under 100 yards in the oaks but there is usually opportunities for longer shots out to 300 yards as they scatter. What is a solid non dialing lpvo in the 1-6 or 1-8 range I should be looking at for this setup? I’ll have my 6.5 saum as backup for anything longer so not concerned with longer range performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxLite

WKR
Are you wanting sfp or ffp? Primary arms has some nice 1-6 ffp that can be found as blems for pretty cheap

Boltgun

FNG
I run a VXR 2-7x33 on my hog rifle, in an ADM QD mount so I can swap with my thermal when it gets dark. Despite all the disdain for Leupold here, it has held zero for years despite incredibly abusive hunts. (Banging off 4 wheelers, climbing up trees and over logs, and generally beating the rifle to snot.) I really like the magnification range and weight, as we do primarily stalking for pigs, and I have not found the 2x to be too high, even on running shots at pigs inside 10 yards.

Boltgun

FNG
I should clarify on that VXR:

This is not a precision rifle.

For my uses, 2 MOA accuracy on that rifle is perfectly acceptable, although it is capable of better. So I could hypothetically be getting say, a 1 MOA shift around due to the optic or mount. For that rifle and that purpose, I consider that “holding zero.”

Primary arms on the low end, gen 3 razor or atacr on the big end. What’s your budget? The vortex strike eagle gets a lot of recommendations but the one I shot had horrible glass.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I had a crimson trace 1-8 34mm on my 6.5 Grendel. I’m not a huge fan of FFP crosshairs being so thin on low powers but it was good in low light and the drops were accurate to killable ranges. I’ve since gone to a bushnell smrs 1-8.5 and prefer that due to being able to use a lit reticle for better aiming on lower magnification settings.