Loyalty to a brand ??

JAD915

Lil-Rokslider
I really like First Lite gear, but I wouldn't say I'm loyal to them. Being 6'7", I buy what fits me well, regardless of the brand. Kryptek makes some gear in tall sizes, as does Sitka. I'll say that I really like Sitkas rain gear, and it comes in talls. First Lite does not have any rain gear in tall sizes. In my experience, First Lite makes the best merino base layers. I have some pants from Eddie Bauer - Guide Pro - that are great, and I have an inexpensive hooded down jacket from EB that gets the job done. Point being, I'll wear whatever is comfortable and serves a purpose.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like matching everything is super dorky. Like a team uniform for the brand. Seems like the calling card of a first time hunter.

Really??? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess you are not former military or law enforcement.
Your statement reminds me of a thread from a few months ago where a few guys were “annoyed” that some hunters wear matching Camo pants and tops. Hell-I can be petty at times, but man-hunters wearing Camo is dorky?? FFS.

Really??? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess you are not former military or law enforcement.
Your statement reminds me of a thread from a few months ago where a few guys were “annoyed” that some hunters wear matching Camo pants and tops. Hell-I can be petty at times, but man-hunters wearing Camo is dorky?? FFS.

I really don’t care what people wear, it’s just a dumb opinion. I realize wearing a military uniform is required and they have no choice so there is no comparison there at all, love the military. Plenty more on the forum to go get offended over, better hurry.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
Usually brand loyal...that way I know the fit and generally how that brand will perform under various conditions.

You guys worry about what you wear, I'll worry about what I wear. :)

Last edited:

TxxAgg

WKR
I never knew so many men cared about matching their camo. No skin off my back, but I don't worry about it one way or another.

I buy and use what works. No clothing company does every facet perfectly. I almost prefer to look like a garage sale of mix-matched camo, just so nobody assumes I'm brand loyal. Animals can care less.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I'm brand loyal to FL for my camo stuff, but mix and match lots of solids too.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I'm more likely to break any bond with a company due to poor customer service or a poor product than I am to stay loyal to specific company over the idea of "matching."

I will say I hate wearing mismatched camo, but generally I just mix a solid with my camo of the day and it doesn't bother me then. A lot of tan/olive colored pants and camo jackets etc.

Im loyal to me and my family so whatever I can get the best deal on. The camo companies try and look you in with their pattern so just buy solids and you can mix and match and no one can really tell. I’ve bought Kuiu 90% off, Sitka 50% off, Prana Zion 50%, Simms 50%, Kifaru 20%, etc. I also buy a lot of used stuff and save big big big.

👆🏽This! I’d rather buy something lightly used or find a brand running a seasonal sale and save a few hundred a year to apply towards a out of state hunt, a piece of property, retirement, etc....

I’m OCD so the mismatching of camo can drive me nuts. To offset this, I’ll wear solid neutral colors (brown, forest green, stone grey) usually as tops.

Wrench

WKR
I'm loyal to myself. I could care less about what people think about the gear I wear. Most stuff is built by some guy who outsourced the labor and materials to a third world country so he could make 1000x the profit. I have no loyalty to those guys.

Jimss

WKR
I buy the brand and product that is going to do the best job for what it is designed for. I like Sitka and Kuiu but have great luck with some of Cabela's brand stuff, Marmot Precip raingear, etc that are a fraction of the price. I almost always try to find bargains before paying for high dollar stuff.....including boots.

In regard to clothing, I'd say 85% of hunters buy the same matching camo pattern on top and bottoms....which I find is a big mistake. I try to rid myself of the human profile so wear different camo patterns on top and bottoms.

I mix it up, doesn’t matter if it’s hunting brand or not. Whichever has the best fit and functionality gets used.

The Sitka gear with Crispi boots...I think this now is the universal sign for elk on public to move 5-10mi.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
In regard to clothing, I'd say 85% of hunters buy the same matching camo pattern on top and bottoms....which I find is a big mistake. I try to rid myself of the human profile so wear different camo patterns on top and bottoms.

Isn't that what camo is supposed to do...break the human outline? Isn't it supposed to make you blend into your surroundings? If you're having to wear two different patterns to do it, one isn't working.....or maybe neither is....

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I don’t think one is all around better than the next. I think most important you buy good quality. Never thought I would look and quality clothing as an investment, but I do now.

I like to try new stuff sometimes but I'm running out of places to hide more clothes. If I don't like something I just sell it here as quality stuff is easy to sell. Wouldn't mind trying Kryptek but I really don't want to blow half a mil on clothes this year.

I like FL merino base layers
Kuiu pants
Sitka windstopper pieces like Jetstream and the old Cabelas windstopper gear
Insulation/Puffys - all over the place.
Midlayers - probably Kuiu Peloton if I had to pick one
Jacket - Sitka
Synthetic baselayers - Kuiu and Sitka

Jimss

WKR
I'm color-blind and what stands out to me is the human outline with the same exact camo pattern. A hunter that wears a different top than bottoms breaks up the tall, thin human outline that alarms big game. I usually pick 2 camo patterns that blend in with the surroundings but have different patterns or slightly different colors.

I am transitioning to just using what works. I used to be all to one brand and somewhat still am but I have just noticed that some brands do better in areas than others. I really wish every hunting company made a green, coyote, and gray in everything. Even better would be two toned stuff like the stone glacier stuff or the OR ferossi. I think I’ll be hunting in mostly solids come the next few years except for whitetail

I am somewhat a FL fanboy, my introduction into high end hunting gear. But, everyone preaches about their base layers, and I own some BlackOvis merino base layers and it is just as good but cheaper. I have a couple pieces of FL that I use every time I hunt (Kiln Hoody is one example). I waterfowl hunt pretty hard, FL outer layers keep you warm but companies that specialize for waterfowl are worth owning imo.

I love FL Fusion Camo and Mossy Oak Bottomlands, it probably doesn't matter, but it certainly drives my purchases. I just ordered some Kuiu Attack pants, will be my first item from that company, so we will see, I may really love them (side note: barely have any sizes in stock as has to order longer inseam which will need to be hemmed... pay that much money just to get them hemmed but I'm not patient).

I also prefer Drake to Sitka for waterfowl. It's cheaper and super warm, half the price and better Camo IMO. Of course I layer FL and BlackOvis under my Drake.

Not loyal I suppose.