Lowa renagade vs. Solomon quest

I am looking to get into my first set of decent hiking boots, I have previously just wore cheap hiking shoes on my backpacking trips. The only experience I have had with "somewhat qualiy" boots is a couple pair of danner pronghorns, I went through two pair in about two years (5 or 6 years ago) I liked them but they didn't seem to last long.
I don't really know what to look for but the two I mentioned in the title of this thread caught my eye. Which is the better of the two? Any other suggestions in that price range? It might help to mention I am only looking at shopping at REI as I am poor and have a bunch of gift cards for there.
Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance!

BigSurArcher

Banned
I went through one pair of Lowa Renegades in the past 2 seasons each. I'm talking sole coming off in the front and big holes in the sides. The only reason I got a second pair was because they were so comfortable, I thought it might be worth the less-than-impressive longevity. After the second go round I was ready for something more durable though. If you are an REI only shopper and have a narrow hoof, you might look into the La Sportiva Omega GTX. They take a while to break in, but IMO that's a testament to their durability compared to the previously mentioned boot.

theedz

WKR
I just bought a pair of Solomons quest and I am a newby to the backpacking world. I have hiked alot of miles while hunting but that was like you with Danner Pronghorns. I guess I can say I really like the Solomons because they are extremly light. Another thing I like about them is I have a very narrow foot and it seems that they wrap around my foot better than most and boot I have tried. It has a generous toe box for swelling, and has good support on the heal to keep it in place. I like everything about these boots...but one thing I have found is that if you stand for awhile in one place (fishing) my feet can get tired and fatigued because of the solid rigid sole. I am not complaining because this will be a benefit when packing out a big load. Overall I really like the Quest's but I am a novice and don't have a lot of other experience to compare.

DWarcher

WKR
I just bought a pair of Solomons quest and I am a newby to the backpacking world. I have hiked alot of miles while hunting but that was like you with Danner Pronghorns. I guess I can say I really like the Solomons because they are extremly light. Another thing I like about them is I have a very narrow foot and it seems that they wrap around my foot better than most and boot I have tried. It has a generous toe box for swelling, and has good support on the heal to keep it in place. I like everything about these boots...but one thing I have found is that if you stand for awhile in one place (fishing) my feet can get tired and fatigued because of the solid rigid sole. I am not complaining because this will be a benefit when packing out a big load. Overall I really like the Quest's but I am a novice and don't have a lot of other experience to compare.

Hey, what size is your foot? I have a pair of Salewa Mountain Trainer Mids that are too narrow for me that I will just send to you if you're interested.
-Dave

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The renegades fit smaller than other Lowas I've tried. The ranger is a lot more boot IMO.

Take a long look at the asolo sasslong from STP.

Also, I hike and hunt in inov8 trail runners till it gets cold. Something to consider.

Bought renegades for my teenage son as a backpacking boot. We have the same foot size so I wore them once just to check them out. They felt pretty flimsy to me compared to the Lowa Trekkers that I wear, and I know a lot of guys on this forum wear a stiffer mountain boot than the Trekker.

On the plus side the renegades come in narrow sizes, but so do the Trekkers and a few others.

If you have a narrow foot then the renegades might work but I would consider the Trekkers or even a stiffer mountain boot if possible. Might be worth saving a little longer if needed. IMHO boots are the #1 piece of gear.

kickemall

WKR
Hey, what size is your foot? I have a pair of Salewa Mountain Trainer Mids that are too narrow for me that I will just send to you if you're interested.
-Dave

If the Salewa's fit I'd take this man up on his generous offer, those are nice boots with a bad ass lacing system.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
For Lowa if you click on the below link, then choose "Catalog" you will see the boots listed out into different categories. Depending on your intended use look through the different categories to find models that should work for you. There are good descriptions within each category of what the intended use is of the boots in each category. For example the Renegades are in the "hiking" category and they describe them like this "All-terrain, multi-functional footwear with solid support in super lightweight constructions. Ideal for day hiking and short-haul, weekend backpacking because they're phenomenally comfortable, supportive and cushioned." If you don't think the Renegade is enough boot for your use have a look at the "trekking" category and maybe the Ranger.

http://www.lowaboots.com/

Last edited:

Jplus4

FNG
Broken Compass,
I was in your same position a month ago. I had gift certificates that were burning a hole in my pocket and I needed a new pair of boots for this year. I ended up buying the Solomon's. And I was looking at the exact same boots you are. I went with the Quests because they fit me like a glove. So far no problems. I made the decision after trying on Lowas and Asolos. The Quests were the most comfortable and they look to be pretty durable. Aron recommended the Lowa Zyphers, but they were not there for me to try on. I'm not the kind of guy to buy boots or shoes without trying them on. Let us know what you end up with.
JoshM

trk3263

WKR
I have a pair of the Quests I bought at an REI Sale that were used and I have wore the crap out of them in Hells Canyon 3 times and during Elk Season and they have held up well. I do think I may retire them before September and that is what brought me here.
I too have a narrow size 11 foot and I am looking to try some of the new boots but I am not sure I am going to go with the Quests. I like how light they are but I want to upgrade a little.
I will be watching this tread for more input.
In all I don't have any complaints about the Quests they are a good light boot.

Sunspot

WKR
Renegades are very comfortable but if you plan to use them harder than a simple hike, then you will be disappointed because they won't last. Get the correct boot for the job.