Low profile arca mount?

I’m sold on shooting from a tripod and slowly converting my rifles to clamp in.

Currently have the SRS arca mini on my alterra stock, mounted just forward of the bottom metal.

I don’t like how it jabs me in the side while carrying on a sling. I’m looking at some of their other options, and open to any suggestions, on an option that will sit lower profile or just not have so many angles. The SRS mini is no doubt a great product but open to exploring others.

It needs to have RRS dovetail dimensions to easy clamp into my head…I already went through and converted everything over to RRS so I can swap between optics and gun quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions

ChrisAU

WKR
You’re kind of stuck with the ARCA-ness of an ARCA rail if that’s the system you want to use. You could though use a Spartan adapter on your rifle and an ARCA Spartan adapter on your tripod.

atmat

WKR
Does the area 419 have precise fit/compatibility with the RRS heads? I found that “arca” means various dimensions to different folks..I have the BCR clamp and want a smooth transition between scope/binos/etc. the SRS is seamless between the RRS brand plates
I watched a video from Area 419 where they talked about RRS setting the standard dimensions for Arca Swiss. They then went on to say their Arcalock rails fit any standard arca swiss system. Presumably, that would mean they’d fit the RRS.

The SRS is 7075 aluminum, which is stronger than the 6061 aluminum used by Area419. How much that really matters I have no clue.

Another reason I like the Anvil 30 head since it works with arca and picatinny I find the picatinny rail at the tripod mounting position on the rifle a lot more compact than the arca rail. But the anvil head still works on your arca stuff rifles,binos, spotters

OP
willfrye027
Another reason I like the Anvil 30 head since it works with arca and picatinny I find the picatinny rail at the tripod mounting position on the rifle a lot more compact than the arca rail. But the anvil head still works on your arca stuff rifles,binos, spotters
Played around with some options this morning. Pic rail at the balance point is much lower profile and less annoying. I have atlas pic rails and it’s a very close fit with the SCR head but not perfect. The plates are a tad loose and the rail is a tad snug in the clamp.

Do you have a pic rail you find works seamlessly?

Thanks!

Played around with some options this morning. Pic rail at the balance point is much lower profile and less annoying. I have atlas pic rails and it’s a very close fit with the SCR head but not perfect. The plates are a tad loose and the rail is a tad snug in the clamp.

Do you have a pic rail you find works seamlessly?

Thanks!

Any pic rail I've tried on rifles has worked fine on my RRS bipod clamps and anvil head? Mostly cheap plastic ones that come with ARs or KRG bravo and one cheap sling stud to pic conversion deal that i'm unsure of manufacturer.

For arca i've used the 3" henderson hunter model because it's lower profile than the SRS. SRS made them taller so the plunger on traditional ball heads can stick in there IIRC for a little more insurance on a rifle not sliding out of the clamp.

OP
willfrye027
Any pic rail I've tried on rifles has worked fine on my RRS bipod clamps and anvil head? Mostly cheap plastic ones that come with ARs or KRG bravo and one cheap sling stud to pic conversion deal that i'm unsure of manufacturer.

For arca i've used the 3" henderson hunter model because it's lower profile than the SRS. SRS made them taller so the plunger on traditional ball heads can stick in there IIRC for a little more insurance on a rifle not sliding out of the clamp.
So far it’s working fine with an atlas pic rail in front of the bottom metal. The clamp is a little too tight on the pic rail, and a smidge too loose on my binos/spotter arca plate without having to adjust the tension, but it’ll work. The pic rail is much nicer than the arca in terms of aesthetics and not poking me in the ribs on my sling..

atmat

WKR
Do we think the Henderson or Area419 is going to be better/lower profile? Same price.

I really like that the SRS Balance wraps around the action screw (giving you another half inch or so further to mount back). But I don’t love how much it juts out.

I filed a "bed" to make a plate fit flush on one of my stocks. Depending on the contour of the stock and how big your plate is, you can make it sit pretty flush.

Screenshot_20230405_124635_OneDrive.jpg

Bumping this back up. I recently purchased a tripod for dual purpose glassing and shooting. I’m shooting a tikka with the wooden stock. With all of the available mounting options and heads. What’s the go to. I’m out on the anvil 30 due to price. I’ve looked at about every clamp option and ball head trying to nail this down pretty quickly. As always I’m trying to keep weight down as well. My shots will be out to 600. Any advice or information is always greatly appreciated. Best wishes.

OP
willfrye027
FWIW: settled on using a short pic rail mounted just forward of the bottom metal. It’s working great. Much cleaner feel than an arca rail. I just screw directly into the stock and it’s holding well

OP
willfrye027
Bumping this back up. I recently purchased a tripod for dual purpose glassing and shooting. I’m shooting a tikka with the wooden stock. With all of the available mounting options and heads. What’s the go to. I’m out on the anvil 30 due to price. I’ve looked at about every clamp option and ball head trying to nail this down pretty quickly. As always I’m trying to keep weight down as well. My shots will be out to 600. Any advice or information is always greatly appreciated. Best wishes.
Shots out to 600 you really need a quality set of legs and head. It’s hard enough with a RRS tripod and ball head, probably not realistic with lesser quality