Low budget backpacking quilt or bag

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I haven't personally done this, but I was curious and googled it. Looks like there are a lot of people who have done this and written a few tutorials with pictures. I like this approach as you might be able to trim the hood off the bag and remove the zipper to get closer to your 2lb goal. If you did this three times, I'm sure the third would take a fraction of the time as the first and look pretty good. I imagine all you would need is a sewing machine!

If you go this route, the DIY Gear Modifications is a good sub forum on here to ask questions. Lots of talented folks in there.
I might try this if I happen to find one at goodwill or yard sale. After finding the Paria, I don't see a bag that's any cheaper that would be worth the time to modify.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Teton sports 20* bag , around 2 # for $60 @ sportsmans warehouse years ago on sale. I use it instead of my marmot 30* bag I bought at rei garage sale of used gear. This is a good bag that I use on Sept backpacking trips to 11 k feet in CO. I do sleep with warm clothes on too
It shows 3.45lbs on their website. I do remember looking at these last year and considering them just due to their cost. they did pack down good from what I remember.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I would sell you my black EE Enigma for $200. It is in great shape. It is either a 20 or 30 degree. I will have to check if you are interested. Can also send pics. $340 new. I just went back to a bag.

PM sent

JD Jones

WKR

This has served me well and checks all your boxes I believe

ljalberta

WKR
15% off available from Hammock Gear right now, so it brings the price down a little if you can’t find anything else.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR

That one seems pretty good for price too

JD Jones

WKR
That one seems pretty good for price too
If you’re a LEO/FR/MIL/VET look into their coupon code / discount program as well

Regardless of some % of it’s a really good price on a good piece of kit. The 0 bag is also fantastic

Sierra Designs makes a backcountry bed that is pretty rad. I have two of them and have started to use them more than I use my quilts. 20 degree, 2lbish, and depending on where you buy them, between $215-225.

taskswap

WKR
I would sell you my black EE Enigma for $200. It is in great shape. It is either a 20 or 30 degree. I will have to check if you are interested. Can also send pics. $340 new. I just went back to a bag.

Care you share why or would it ruin your attempt to sell that one? :) I was looking at an Enigma myself, a 0F version (so I can't buy yours). Everybody raves about them but not as many who switch back talk about why...

I have used the Paria Outdoors quilt. It is fine, I cut all the pad straps off and cinched the foot box drawstring and tied it off. Not comfort rated for 15 degrees but it is plenty comfortable to freezing. A good pad is required. My main problem is it’s not very big. I’m 6’3” and 220lbs. My shoulders and neck are pretty drafty. Once you cinch the toe box up you will lose some overall length.

WoodBow

WKR
Care you share why or would it ruin your attempt to sell that one? :) I was looking at an Enigma myself, a 0F version (so I can't buy yours). Everybody raves about them but not as many who switch back talk about why...
I sold the enigma to the OP here. Nothing wrong with it. I am just more of a bag guy I guess. I used a quilt for about 5 years and finally bought a Western Mountaineering bag last year. I don't see myself ever going back to a quilt.

Dcronce

FNG
We(me,wife,3 kids) currently have 2 Hammock gear 20 deg quilts that we love and use during elk season. We also have 3 kelty 50 deg. bags that we use for milder weather backpack camping and we just use extra blankets if colder camping at the truck.
I'm looking for 3 - 20 degree bags or quilts to get us all out backpacking in colder weather. The Hammock gear quilts are up to $300 bucks and not really wanting to drop that much right now.

Any suggestions for a decent quilt or bag with packability and decent weight/cost, like sub 2lbs, and sub $200?
It seems like as soon as you get under $300, the weights shoot up to 2.5-4lbs.

The quilt design seems the best way to shave weight, but there are not many companies making them. Any lesser know makers that I might be missing?
Check out outdoor vitals. I have their 0 degree down bag. But they also make quilts. Be sure to look at their clearance and pre-owned section for the best deals.

taskswap

WKR
I'm a fan of OV as well. I got the 0-degree "Summit" back in 2019 for $250 - looks like inflation has done its thing on that number. It's my favorite bag. I've been very happy with its performance and weight, especially considering how cheap it was. I know their 20-degree options are even cheaper and lighter. I'm trying out a Zpacks quilt this year but the Outdoor Vitals is definitely going to stay my go-to when I want a full bag.

For what it's worth, everyone sleeps differently and has different opinions on "comfort" vs "survival" ratings. I personally would say 0 is the "survival" rating on this bag. I'm comfortable down to 15-20F or so, but below that I don't sleep very well despite the rating. But you can do a lot to stretch a bag 5-10 degrees or more. My favorite new trick isn't the usual liner or over-quilt some folks add. It's booties. I got some ultralight down booties that I put on, and I chuck a foot warmer into each one before I go to bed. They look ridiculous, but for $25 and just over an ounce these things are amazing. If my feet are warm I can sleep through a blizzard.

I just ordered a Featherstone moon dance 25 quilt. Looks promising from the reviews I’ve seen. Price is $179 US and 1lb 11oz for large wide

Reactions: CMF

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Paria Outdoors quilt. It is fine, I cut all the pad straps off and cinched the foot box drawstring and tied it off. Not comfort rated for 15 degrees but it is plenty comfortable to freezing. A good pad is required. My main problem is it’s not very big. I’m 6’3” and 220lbs. My shoulders and neck are pretty drafty. Once you cinch the toe box up you will lose some overall length.
Thanks for the info on the Paria quilt. Do you have the long? I'm 6'6" so this may be too short for me.

Drenalin

WKR
I placed an order for an Ugly Quilt through Hemlock Mountain Outdoors a handful of weeks ago. I'm obviously not going to recommend it yet (I don't even have it yet), but his 30-degree is advertised as just over 2 pounds and $115 with synthetic insulation. I would think he'd do custom work, like adding length or adding fill to get to a lower temp rating, if you called and talked to him.

I ordered a 50-degree without the footbox snaps to use as a summer camping blanket and low risk way to try out what he's making. I'll update once I actually get it and use it, but in the meantime it's an option to look into.

CA_Gopher

FNG

I've used this quilt as well for ~10 nights ranging from 70 degrees to 15 degrees and it is fantastic. Extremely light and very comfortable. Packs down really small. Great for the price. Any of the Sierra Designs bags and quilts perform well. Cloud 20 is a great zipperless bag option.

I tried one of these and it's been good so far. I got mine from amazon.

I got a 0 degree down (i believe its the snowmass model) after freezing my butt off on a late season deer hunt last year. They have several models that might fit what you're looking for.