Low budget backpacking quilt or bag

CMF

WKR
We(me,wife,3 kids) currently have 2 Hammock gear 20 deg quilts that we love and use during elk season. We also have 3 kelty 50 deg. bags that we use for milder weather backpack camping and we just use extra blankets if colder camping at the truck.
I'm looking for 3 - 20 degree bags or quilts to get us all out backpacking in colder weather. The Hammock gear quilts are up to $300 bucks and not really wanting to drop that much right now.

Any suggestions for a decent quilt or bag with packability and decent weight/cost, like sub 2lbs, and sub $200?
It seems like as soon as you get under $300, the weights shoot up to 2.5-4lbs.

The quilt design seems the best way to shave weight, but there are not many companies making them. Any lesser know makers that I might be missing?

Taudisio

WKR
Kelty cosmic down 20. 2lb 10oz

$165 a piece and rei just sent out a flyer for 20 percent off. Just over your weight limit. But a good deal. I run the 0 degree and I woke up to my buddies diesel starting up at 5am and he said it was 19 degrees out. I was in my boxers and had no idea it got that cold.

PhillyJoe

FNG
Light
Warm
Cheap

You can pick two.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is exactly what Im finding while looking for a good bag... either 2 of the 3.... However, I also need extra room because a mummy feels claustrophobic.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Kelty cosmic down 20. 2lb 10oz

$165 a piece and rei just sent out a flyer for 20 percent off. Just over your weight limit. But a good deal. I run the 0 degree and I woke up to my buddies diesel starting up at 5am and he said it was 19 degrees out. I was in my boxers and had no idea it got that cold.
I actually had this and 2 other synthetics narrowed down on REI last night, it was showing $185 tho. I think I'll try it and a synthetic. I'll have to look for the discount

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
If the Kelty cosmic was a quilt instead of a bag it would probably be 2lbs.

Has anyone modified a bag into a quilt?

Have you checked into enlightened equipment synthetic? You just missed a big sale. I got a 30* quilt thats less than 2lbs for $190. They have warehouse overstock stuff cheap sometimes.

I've used my kelty lightyear 20* thats got a 3/4 zip as a quilt of sorts. Unzipped and put my feet in and used the bag to cover over top. Worked well but not really the greatest because the hood in the face made things weird at times

Reactions: CCH
OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Have you checked into enlightened equipment synthetic? You just missed a big sale. I got a 30* quilt thats less than 2lbs for $190. They have warehouse overstock stuff cheap sometimes.

I've used my kelty lightyear 20* thats got a 3/4 zip as a quilt of sorts. Unzipped and put my feet in and used the bag to cover over top. Worked well but not really the greatest because the hood in the face made things weird at times
Just checked em out and seem pretty good. Any idea how often they have sales?

Just checked em out and seem pretty good. Any idea how often they have sales?
I'm not sure how often. I've been checking every so often since last summer. They had one sometime around labor day I think but not as good as this past sale.
I know at one point they had one of those popup give me your email and I'll give you 15% off.
They're a cottage company and the customer service is great. I'd call them and let them know you're going to be buying quilts for your whole family at once so dropping some dough, wouldn't hurt to ask if they'd cut you a deal.

Haven't had mine out overnight yet but sitting on the porch in windy 40* weather just in shorts and t-shirt I could tell it's going to warm.

Edit: I will also add that this is an American company and made in Minnesota. So made in the USA 🇺🇸, if that matters to you

Last edited:

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Marmot has the helium 15 for $225, you can get an extra 15% if you sign up for emails and another 6% through active junky

GR1NCH11

FNG
Paria Outdoors makes a 15 degree down bag.

I don't have any experience using it. I found it on a backpacking channel while researching to get my first packable sleeping bag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
VIAM and Arrowhead Quilts for synthetic quilts, if you haven't already looked. Hyke and Byke bags may have something close

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider

I haven't personally done this, but I was curious and googled it. Looks like there are a lot of people who have done this and written a few tutorials with pictures. I like this approach as you might be able to trim the hood off the bag and remove the zipper to get closer to your 2lb goal. If you did this three times, I'm sure the third would take a fraction of the time as the first and look pretty good. I imagine all you would need is a sewing machine!

If you go this route, the DIY Gear Modifications is a good sub forum on here to ask questions. Lots of talented folks in there.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Paria Outdoors makes a 15 degree down bag.

I don't have any experience using it. I found it on a backpacking channel while researching to get my first packable sleeping bag.
Does anyone have experience with this quilt? Seems about as good as it gets for the weight/price ratio...

WoodBow

WKR
I would sell you my black EE Enigma for $200. It is in great shape. It is either a 20 or 30 degree. I will have to check if you are interested. Can also send pics. $340 new. I just went back to a bag.

Teton sports 20* bag , around 2 # for $60 @ sportsmans warehouse years ago on sale. I use it instead of my marmot 30* bag I bought at rei garage sale of used gear. This is a good bag that I use on Sept backpacking trips to 11 k feet in CO. I do sleep with warm clothes on too

Taudisio

WKR
I have had zero success/satisfaction with synthetic bags. And rei just sent out the email that the 20% off starts on 3/17

Reactions: CMF