Lost/missing family dog advise......

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
That's a good looking dog. The pessimist in me thinks someone took him unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong and he's home.

tony

WKR
My ex wife and I had a few cats that were 50/50 in and out. Let them out and they never came back.
Animals can get out and get lost.
They just don't disappear.
Either struck by a vehicle or picked up by someone.
I'd check your animal shelters in your county and the neighboring ones.
We have a chip in our doberman.

The neighbors were prone to letting their dogs out to run. Visitors from town were prone to pick them up and take them to the dog pound (18 miles away).

I like my dogs hence I rarely let them loose without supervision.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Mine got lost last year and my wife found him through “nextdoor” he ended up having a brain tumor which is probably the reason he got lost in the first place… he departed shortly after his return

lost our dog a couple years back and someone was kind enough to take her to a shelter where we found her. She was lost in the morning and we found her online the same day by checking all the shelters websites around us. Think technology is your best bet with facebook and next door app as others have mentioned. Heartbreaking to lose a best friend and hoping for a safe return.

MJB

WKR
Keep the faith I had one that was gone hunting yotes for 3 weeks.....one day he walked in ate some food and slept all day.
Every April he would go out killing yote pups in their dens, he'd have a few scraps scratches and puncture wounds but was no worse for ware.

Nextdoor app, normally pure trash drama but in cases of lost dogs it's absolute gold. We've found ours several times through that app. Seems to be a trend with people in the neighborhood around here grabbing loose dogs and hanging on to them looking for the owners rather than just letting them run around. One lady gave my dog a bath and bought her a full bag of fancy food within hours of finding her, my son posted an urgent lost dog ad on the Nextdoor app and she brought the dog back to our house. IME if people don't grab the dogs they'll be back in about an hour or so. We have an electric fence system to keep them in but sometimes the wire gets cut or whatever so they

One time my Lab got out and didn't come back for a couple days. My son about 12 at the time tracked her tracks through the drainage ditch down into the neighborhood behind us where they popped out, and he started asking people if they'd seen her. Some kids pointed him to a house so he went and knocked on the door. Dude opened the door and my dog happily greeted my son. Turns out that guy had seen the flyers and didn't care, he was on some power trip and scolded my son for letting her get loose and said some other things about being lucky if he gave her back or something. When I got home from work they told me about it and I came pretty close to losing my temper and heading over there.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
My Aunt had a Husky that kept making a 4-5 mile trip
through woods/pastures to a small town fire station.
Why he went there nobody knows.
But she'd bring him home and he'd stay a while but always
disappeared again, and she would always find him at the
fire station.
She finally quit bringing him back.
Plenty of friends and snacks.

I have found and reported several lost dogs through the “Nextdoor” app. The app allows you to target information to your local area and specific surrounding neighborhood. All the neighborhood busybodies and nosey parkers hang out on that site looking for things to get involved in. However, this works to your advantage whenever looking for a lost dog.
This