Lost/missing family dog advise......

JoeDirt

WKR
Anyone ever lose a family dog and recover it?

My pup hates being away from me, so much hes a pain in the ass to keep fenced in. He usually gets out once a month. Being 8 years old now he has never left more than a block away from home. He sticks close by never has gone too far.

I assuming someone picked him up judging by the times he was out (neighbors) and the time I got home. Hes a mutt, no chip and lost his collar escaping.

Ive done the normal things, Facebook posts, flyers all over town, even paid $40 to what seems like an ad agency for lost pet. Ive also been checking in with all the local vets, shelters and made a craigslist ad.

I never thought that I would be this attached to any dog ever but this one is different, he knows things lots of things I've never trained him to do! I can go on about how cool he is but I guess I need some encouragement and some outside of the box ideas.

doggo.jpg

Yoder

WKR
The only other thing I've seen people do is offer a reward. $500 might get someone's attention. I might even do $1000. I would be crushed if I lost one of my dogs. They are almost like kids. I hope you find him.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Had coon dogs get away ,but always got found or somebody called within a day. Sick feeling.

Fellows up the road started a kennel and training business. A year ago JanuaryI think a girl dropped off a skittish rescue Shepard she got. It got loose and wouldn’t come to anybody.

It hung around within a mile or 2 in the fields a couple days then took off. They got it about a month later probably 15-20 miles away. Don’t know how it made the weather we had. And those boys don’t kennel dogs anymore- horses now.

UncleBone

WKR
I would maybe try with the reward too. you could call the local news and ask if they could run a 30 second spot w his picture and your number. Hopefully whoever has him is kind enough to reunite you. I would kill someone if I found out they had my dog and wouldnt give it back.

7mm-08

WKR
The reward and diligence advice (combined) will go a long way. If you live is a smaller town, he'll turn up as long as someone didn't snatch him, which I understand is more frequent than any of us would like to believe. Good luck, man. My heart goes out to you.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Had a heeler run off at Thanksgiving at the in-laws, lots of tears when he hadn't come back when we had to leave Sunday.
Showed up a week later (back at the in-laws), with multiple bullet holes & bullets. He got mean after that, but at least we had him...
Hope you get yours back. The really good ones are hard to lose, & wondering what happened makes it suck double.

TxxAgg

WKR
They are resilient. When I was a kid, someone gave us a blue heeler because he wouldn't stay home. We had him a year or so and he took off. Got a call a few weeks later from someone 170 miles away that found the dog and called the number on the collar. My dad said keep it.

Hopefully yours turns up soon. Good luck.

Good luck that's a terrible feeling had my 2 run off after something at 4am this past winter one of them was found sleeping on a neighbor a mile aways step the other one was spotted 6 miles away she finally came back to the house 8 hours later like nothing happened

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
My Aunt had a Husky that kept making a 4-5 mile trip
through woods/pastures to a small town fire station.
Why he went there nobody knows.
But she'd bring him home and he'd stay a while but always
disappeared again, and she would always find him at the
fire station.
She finally quit bringing him back.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
If you know an area he frequents leave an item of your clothing there he may smell you and hang out by it. I’ve seen some areas where tracking dogs are used to find other lost dogs. Usually some type of fee for this but I’d think it would be worth it. Post in various Facebook groups in surrounding towns not just your own. Fingers crossed for you.

The Facebook lost/found pet pages get a lot of traction. I’ve helped a couple of pups find their families after I noticed a fb post on a pet page. I would venture to say he was probably picked up as well.

bentarrow

FNG
Put a shitt or jacket down last place dog was at. We do this when hounds go missin. Usually there next day or 2. Sleepin on whatever. Good luck. Dogs have more love in their heart then most people.