Lost arrow impales hunter

Be aware out in the woods. Routt county hunter went off trail and was impaled by someone else's lost arrow broadhead. he was airlifted out. Make every effort to find arrows from missed shots! Illuminated knocks, brightly colored fletching will help... i don't know how to attach link. someone else can do it please.

Here’s a link. https://kdvr.com/news/local/hunter-gets-impaled-by-lost-arrow-in-routt-county/

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrows get snagged out of the the quiver all the time in the backcountry. I'm surprised this does not happen alot more often

Htm84

WKR
This happened a few years ago on the Kenai. Just some lady hiking through some tall grass and stabbed through her knee if I remember right. The guy who lost the arrow came forward. After the story was in the paper. Shits happens but man that’s gotta be a shitty feeling knowing it was your arrow.

We were hiking back to camp last month and I almost stepped on an arrow. No blood, no damage, looks like it just fell out of a quiver. Lucky it wasn't in the dark. Nice setup too. I am sure the guy missed it. I have lost a few over the years in thick crap and always worry about that. Never been able to find them.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I lost two arrows this year. Strapped the bow on the pack for the hike out and the way the strap was running must’ve popped them out then some brush grabbed them. Not much you can do about loosing one or not finding an arrow after you shoot. Have to be pretty unlucky to walk into one

Rich M

WKR
I lost an arrow last year - other hunters put it in the back of my truck. Happens.

How do you impale yourself on an arrow tho. I don't impale myself on sharp sticks, why are these diff?

Powerman

FNG
I remember a story my dad told me about the deer he shot arrow passed thru and landed in the tall grass knock down and another guy in the group was blood trailing and ran the broad head up into his leg just missing the the main artery. Sounded like it was quite the rush to get him out of the remote area and to the nearest hospital. The guy recovered but still a scary incident.

I remember hearing South Cox on a podcast talk about how he accidentally kicked his own arrow into his heel while trailing a deer.

Be aware out in the woods. Routt county hunter went off trail and was impaled by someone else's lost arrow broadhead. he was airlifted out. Make every effort to find arrows from missed shots! Illuminated knocks, brightly colored fletching will help... i don't know how to attach link. someone else can do it please.

Here’s a link. https://kdvr.com/news/local/hunter-gets-impaled-by-lost-arrow-in-routt-county/
That’s insane, what’s even scarier is reading the comments and seeing quite a few similar stories. Who would think you’d need to be careful to not get Impaled by an arrow while hiking along

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Careful.
Next thing you know the CPW will require a course to recover lost arrows.
Maybe they'll start requiring GPS locators in all arrows.

But ya, if you're going to "impale" yourself on what could possibly be the only arrow out there in the woods.......then they must just be really lucky around all the snags and limbs and pointy sticks out there.

ODB

WKR
I was surf fishing once and as I cast, the line broke and my whole rig went flying into the Atlantic. Two days later I was boogie boarding in the same area and stepped on something sharp. Reached down and pulled the hook from my foot and there was my rig I had lost two days earlier.

These things happen.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have a pile of arrows I have found while shed hunting. Another half dozen I've left out there.