Loss of Value with AZ OTC Archery Tag...would you report a successful harvest?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
AZ following the pay more, receive less pathway.

I miss the value loss of the OTC archery tag.
Prior years could hunt muley bucks in December & January. Some units coues bucks available too.
Most units now only January or part of January for mulies. For residents and non-residents the changes represent lost opportunities & time in the field. Surely now more immature bucks will fall to the arrow.
Less time to hunt, some hunters will feel more pressure to fill tag...especially if a $300 tag + $160 combo* license=$460 non-resident.
* Fishing license too required on non-resident. What a joke, not a trout stream around where I hunt AZ*.

Had to pass 2 muley 170+ bucks in 24B in December 2021.
1 of those was larger than my 2020 muley buck (see avatar). Buck was trailing a doe, the doe came within 30 yards of my position.
At least I'll be hunting there in January 2022, starting Jan-6.

Hunting 10 days, couldn't find a 24B coues buck worthy of an arrow. Passed on couple 2-points, just couldn't find a bigger coues buck. A pass decision made easier by 2 full freezers at home and borrowing 1/2 freezer at a friend's home.
After Xmas, encountered 2 hunters, each tagged a coues buck; spike and small 2x1.
One a resident, the other hunter from Texas; "for over $450, can't come home to the wife with nothin..."

My ethics are to follow the rules, regulations.
However, I have to wonder WHY any OTC archery hunter would voluntarily report a harvest success...only to potentially have less opportunity or reduced time-in-field for the future due to that successful report.
With mandatory reporting on the horizon; How much of that data will be factual, reliable & truthful?
Pretty sure a AZFG bean counter will add in a % to compensate as they do now for harvest numbers.

2021.AZ Volunteer Report.jpg

Last edited:
Not everyone cares about trophy status.

Less hunting time will reduce harvest overall, even if you think more young deer are killed.

You should report because that’s how F&G gets their data. Of course they factor in a percentage of non-reporters, but by and large People are honest and want to do what’s right.

Going all draw/limited is how many westerns states have gone. In the long run it will help overall deer herds, albeit at an expense of opportunity.

With growing western human populations and a stagnant if not declining deer numbers (mulies in particular) it is impossible to maintain unlimited OTC and expect better deer.

Last edited:

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Sad that people think lots of guys will lie on harvest reports. Maybe shows some of their own integrity. Hopefully AZGFD will implement stiff penalties ( doubtful ), if you are caught falsifying a report.

JMailbox8

FNG
Most decisions are based on scientific evaluation by the biologists. The tag prices are based on revenue required to help sustain the department. Accurate data is required for them to do their job in a way that makes the sport sustainable. Do your part, so they can do theirs, and we all benefit.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I know with my tribal hunt I just completed, we have to submit our surveys within 7 days of the end of the hunt season. If you fail to do so either you pay a reinstatement fee or you can not hunt the following year.

yes bc the biologists need data to make sound decisions on management of the species. and also integrity

OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
I know with my tribal hunt I just completed, we have to submit our surveys within 7 days of the end of the hunt season. If you fail to do so either you pay a reinstatement fee or you can not hunt the following year.
does the tribal report ask more significant survey questions?
Such as:
How many deer observed/spotted?
Opinion of animal's health/condition appearance?
Environment Conditions: Elevation hunted, water sources, feed resources, timber-sage or burn area, livestock presence.
Satisfaction or Dissatisfied with Access To Lands within main hunt unit

WA State has same rules on survey hunt reporting but have until Jan-31 to submit for completed hunt season prior, and same questions as AZFG too.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, it does ask about those things. Number and type of deer, elk, coyotes, horses, and cattle. As well as the locations that they were sighted in.

You kill it. you report it simple as that. Being a hunter in todays world is hard enough with all the antis, Harvest reports and data connected with them is a primary tool for herd management and outside factors effecting the herd numbers, we may not always agree with the game depts. and the biologists but its is all we have that will impact herd health and future hunting opportunities.

Reactions: OMB

WCB

WKR
Are the reports voluntary or mandatory if you harvest? I get harvest/hunting surveys all the time...I don't fill them all out...when I do I am honest.

bowuntr

WKR
Had to pass 2 muley 170+ bucks in 24B in December 2021.
1 of those was larger than my 2020 muley buck (see avatar). Buck was trailing a doe, the doe came within 30 yards of my position.

Honest people will prevail with mandatory reporting... the numbers will balance out. It'll be easy to track down cheaters.

Why did you have to pass on two great otc December bucks? Must not be too worried about losing opportunity if you're posting unit numbers on the internet... or you're dishonest and testing the system. Ed F

OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
bowuntr : because the unit was closed to muleys in December, whitetail (coues) only.
In 2019, could have taken a shot at the big muley buck.

where I hunt this unit, have not encountered any other archery hunters in the field. Most won't get 1/4 mile from their atv/utv's...

But recreational hikers, yes. I'm concerned more about damage to my vehicle at TH by recreational hikers than hunters. Oh, some of the looks they give me! So, no bumper stickers, antler decals on truck windows etc.
I avoid the hikers, stay un-noticed if possible, stepping off trail in advance, watching them pass by from distance.

Last edited:

ZMax62

FNG
I hunted the otc bow archery 12 years ago I believe it was after January 1 .Just looked the azgaf and if looks like they move the hunting season up by a couple of weeks . For otc deer . I sure enjoyed that hunt and the scenery did not fill my tag but it was still a great experience . I,m 60 know and was going to try and backpack in again next year .

fmyth

WKR
"I have to wonder WHY any OTC archery hunter would voluntarily report a harvest success...only to potentially have less opportunity or reduced time-in-field for the future due to that successful report."

Really?

It's hard for me to understand why you would oppose filling out a harvest report yet you video your hunts and post them on youtube:

You hunt in my home state, you like it, you video it and post it for everyone to see how great it is. Now its so popular that it has to be limited so you complain about the reduced opportunity and the increased price?

"I'm concerned more about damage to my vehicle at TH by recreational hikers than hunters. Oh, some of the looks they give me! So, no bumper stickers, antler decals on truck windows etc."

I'd be more worried about your WA state license plates. We've been watching the news and we don't like what you've done to your home state.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 10.46.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 10.46.13 AM.png
    792.5 KB · Views: 20
Harvest reporting is mandatory in a lot of other states, I have no problem with it in AZ. It actually seems odd that it hasnt been mandatory for years.

Hard to determine how to manage animals when you dont know how many you have or how many are whacked each year.