Loose spot in barrel

MLM

FNG
I bought a CVA optima V2 that I shot yesterday for the 1st time. Was loading hornady ELDX's over 100 GR by volume triple 7. I noticed a loose spot in my barrel about halfway down. Basically while loading everything pushed nice and even but then there was a clunk feeling like the friction let up about halfway and then nice and even again. I did not try to measure the length of the loose spot but it is short. I consistently noticed this. What should I do? Will this affect accuracy? I did shoot 4 shots into a 1.5" group at 50 yd. After a while I backed up to 75 yd and shot a few shots and they were all over the place but my shoulder was wearing out and I think I was pulling the shots. Will this affect accuracy? What should I do?

Kyguy

FNG
Yes, it will affect accuracy. No CVA will not do anything about it. Been there done that with a brand new wolf V2. It wouldn't shoot anything less than 4 in at 100. The muzzle was very tight, then it would loosen up about halfway down the barrel then got tight again and then many of the bulls literally dropped to the breech plug. When you send it in, as long as a power belt will pass their gunsmith will call it good. I literally broke a ramrod trying to load any of the common sabot/bullet combinations. Even sent a bunch of them in with the gun when it went in for warranty, they didn't try any of them, plus they kept the bullets and didn't send them back. When I made a huge fuss on their Facebook page, one of their marketing guys sent me six packs of power belts to try. They wouldn't replace a barrel on a $200 rifle, but they sent me $150 worth of bullets to burn. Still shoots like shit, the ONLY load that I actually got under 2" was two white hot pellets and a 200 grain TC shockwave. It's been in the corner of the safe for a year, I refuse to sell that turd to anybody. I need to get a metal blade for the chop saw and just cut it up and pitch it in the garbage.

Kyguy

FNG
If you dig around on the internet, there are lots of issues with CVA barrels. I don't care what their press release says, that's the reason they stopped production on the Paramount too. The stopping production on a rifle because blackhorn 209 is hard to get is a ridiculous statement to make. They do a very good job of suppressing any negative information. They had initially not approved/ deleted my posts in their Facebook group until I started posting another Muzzleloader groups that they can't control. Then they decided to address them.

DMuzz8

FNG
I have read some other horror stories too. Sorry you had/have to deal with a barrel that only shoot 1 kind of bullet

DMuzz8

FNG
Good move; Knight and Tc seem to have at least used decent, consistent barrels over the years