Looking for the Perfect ball cap for the backcountry

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
That world be great to have a field usable RS hat
Any have an idea where to find a plane version of something like the Sitka cap? Be nice to find a hat like this that Rokslide could get the logo printed on. In a nice neutral gray or foliage or something.

_Nick_

WKR
I don't like synthetic hats for the back country because they don't soak up the sweat very well, leaving it to run into my eyes. The only cotton I take into the back country is my Rokslide ball cap.

x2. Cotton also allows for a bit slower rate of evaporative cooling in the heat and seems to store the cool from that a bit better than the synthetic hats I've tried.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
x2. Cotton also allows for a bit slower rate of evaporative cooling in the heat and seems to store the cool from that a bit better than the synthetic hats I've tried.
Interesting, total opposite for me. Them darn cotton hats make my head sweat so I take them off! : ) The sweat band on the Sitka cap is stained brown, but no sweat in the eyes. Then again I'm not a heavy "sweater" so that probably makes a difference. At least the cotton hat fans have a TON of options. : )

MattB

WKR
Another vote for Sitka. I have one I got just after they started up that I wear every weekend and it is still going strong.

idahobow

FNG
i must have a funny shaped head because i HATE my sitka OC hat.... its 3 years old... any chance they changed the design since then?

2ski

WKR
I like my Stone Glacier hat. I bought it for hiking and hunting(it's not camo) but I like it so much I don't want to get it dirty and it's become my go to hat. I may pick up the SG hat that matches their packs for color. Not camo for you but a more "earth tone".That one I would get dirty but it's a shallower hat and I like a deeper hat that I can pull down low over my eyes.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a "patrol cap" from the Army Surplus store. I liked that it had a short brim and the digital camo. Used it on a backpack hunt last season and absolutely loved it! The material is the best I have ever found. It breaths well when it is hot. Doesn't get deformed. I was in some serious rainstorms and was surprised at how waterproof it is!
Cost= $7.00

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
ddd162d0a13f1b43792fcaba95635a6e.jpg

Here you go

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
Well I ordered the Sitka since I was looking that direction and had all the good reviews about it here. The best part is it only took 3 days to get here. Thanks for all the help on this one. It's obvious that a hat is a vital piece of gear to all of us.

Rolo

FNG
There are plenty of good hats out there I just cant find one that'll fit my big ol' head. I have tried the rokslide ball cap, the sitka ball cap and even bought a Kuiu boonie hat and after a month of waiting for it on backorder, it doesnt fit either.

So if anyone with large head syndrome (7 1/2-7 3/4) has found the perfect hunting ballcap that the op is looking for, that will also fit us bucketheads, let us know.

No offense, but I really am not feeling much sympathy for you...I'm sporting a size 8 noggin. Trying to find any hat that fits is an exercise in near futility. I have not found a ball cap that will fit, and that I like. No way any of the K or S companies hats are going to work (hell, there's not even enough stretch in the beanies to get to my ears). Right now, I'm using a Tilley, which isn't the coolest, but does the job.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
MLB authentic 59/50 camo hat. Detroit tigers for me. I cannot Stand unstructured hats or hats that are adjustable in the back. They used to be wool and were awesome. They are now synthetic and are still pretty good. Worn it from 10-110 degrees, the brim soaks up the sweat well.

Yep. If anyone's going to have the highest quality hats, it's going to be MLB. Pretty sure you can still find wool if you look, but mine right now is a spring training/batting practice style one that breathes a little more.

I prefer mine in teal and navy blue.

MLB authentic 59/50 camo hat. Detroit tigers for me. I cannot Stand unstructured hats or hats that are adjustable in the back. They used to be wool and were awesome. They are now synthetic and are still pretty good. Worn it from 10-110 degrees, the brim soaks up the sweat well.

Agreed. I much prefer fitted hats. I would rather use sunglasses to protect my eyes than a ball cap, so I occasionally turn the hat around. I don't want the hat to fly off when I'm on the 4 wheeler, out in the boat, or doing other things, so I turn it around then. I usually flip it around when I'm hunting too.

I would definitely buy a nice camo hat from Sitka, Kuiu, or any other manufacturer if they were a high quality fitted cap.