Hood/ball style vs cowboy style hat debate over for me

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When I first started hunting on a serious note, wore ski cap made of wool. Super warm but soon figured out that no brim meant no face/optics protection.

Then when I started hunting with my cowboy friend, Bill Kelly, and saw all the benefits of a cowboy style hat (with an ear band) especially the ones made out of wool. Face protection all the way around, no snow down the neck, and kept the snow off my binoculars. When hiking, could pull off the ear band and if needed, drop the hat behind my head on the neck cord. Didn’t see myself ever changing.

Then last three or four years, I ditched the cowboy hat and have switched to hood/ball style cap with an ear band. Pretty sure I’m not going back to the cowboy hat. Although it worked well, in really cold weather, you gain a lot of heat with the hood that was being lost before, & it’s pretty easy to drop it to regulate heat too, and/or strip the ear band.

What are you guys thoughts on this or any other system?

The Kromer keeps the sun out of your eyes, top of your head warm, ears somewhat warm and still allows a hood to be pulled over. It's my go to head cover in cold weather.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sound logic, Robby. I can't argue that approach. The hood blocks wind great, too. My approach is similar. I use a lightweight ball cap with a wool beanie over top, a neck gator that can block wind and sun, and a hood to cover all that up.
Yes, should have mentioned neck gaiter in all scenarios.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The Kromer keeps the sun out of your eyes, top of your head warm, ears somewhat warm and still allows a hood to be pulled over. It's my go to head cover in cold weather.
Hey brother, I have one too (great little hat) but mine has a short brim and I like the longer brim a ball cap provides so that’s why I didn’t mention it. Are all Stormy Krogers short brimmed?

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Hey brother, I have one too (great little hat) but mine has a short brim and I like the longer brim a ball cap provides so that’s why I didn’t mention it. Are all Stormy Krogers short brimmed?
My cheap knockoff has a normal brim. Such a funny word that is. To be honest, it's ugly as soon and blaze orange but great for late fall and winter hunts, way to hot before that. Don't ask me where I got it, stole it fair and scare as a teenager from my old man, been running it ever since. Goofy as sin but I don't care.

I have dabbled in everything from goretex sombreros to watch caps.

- for hot weather and hardcore sun I like Sunday afternoons hats with capes.
- for more normal conditions, I like a ball cap and I add a sun / neck Gaitor.
- for colder conditions I like the hood over the ball cap
- for cold, I add a watch cap over or instead of the ball cap.

I still have a cowboy hat, a filson wide brimmed packer and a hand full of boonie hats but I rarely wear them.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Have you checked out the sitka Hudson gtx? It’s an insulated normal sized ball cap with ear flaps. I have always just ran a ball cap with a hooded base layer, that’s my fav combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Or if you’re into the look, check out JM capriolas on the internet, their store front is in elko NV, but they have “beaver brand” custom hand made scotch caps (aka crown caps) that they do small runs of. They’re Made in Canada and as far as I know, the only company that makes them of 100% pure wool. And it has built in fold down flap that covers the neck and ears, I love mine for cold weather but some people do not like the look.
f8af026a7e595364d5c5c502b9e90240.png

fwafwow

WKR
When I first started hunting on a serious note, wore ski cap made of wool. Super warm but soon figured out that no brim meant no face/optics protection.

Then when I started hunting with my cowboy friend, Bill Kelly, and saw all the benefits of a cowboy style hat (with an ear band) especially the ones made out of wool. Face protection all the way around, no snow down the neck, and kept the snow off my binoculars. When hiking, could pull off the ear band and if needed, drop the hat behind my head on the neck cord. Didn’t see myself ever changing.

Then last three or four years, I ditched the cowboy hat and have switched to hood/ball style cap with an ear band. Pretty sure I’m not going back to the cowboy hat. Although it worked well, in really cold weather, you gain a lot of heat with the hood that was being lost before, & it’s pretty easy to drop it to regulate heat too, and/or strip the ear band.

What are you guys thoughts on this or any other system?
We need pictures of these hats. Please

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked out the sitka Hudson gtx? It’s an insulated normal sized ball cap with ear flaps. I have always just ran a ball cap with a hooded base layer, that’s my fav combo.

IMG_6646.jpeg
I’ve seen it now. They show it in their waterfowl line but looks pretty sweet and hood friendly. Thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Or if you’re into the look, check out JM capriolas on the internet, their store front is in elko NV, but they have “beaver brand” custom hand made scotch caps (aka crown caps) that they do small runs of. They’re Made in Canada and as far as I know, the only company that makes them of 100% pure wool. And it has built in fold down flap that covers the neck and ears, I love mine for cold weather but some people do not like the look.
f8af026a7e595364d5c5c502b9e90240.png

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNothing special
Ill bet that’s warm

My Grandpa wore that style. Ryan would be able to get even with me for all the 6.5CM jokes if he caught me in one. He already thinks I’m old.

👊👊