Looking for Texas Barbary sheep recommendations.

barrister

WKR
Highly recommend the outfit at Rancho del Cielo west of Pecos. Just finished an extremely successful hunt with them. They have a great tent camp setup. Beautiful and rugged country with great hunting.

slatty

WKR
I just finished a hunt at HE Sproul ranch with Roy Hurley. Similar deal for us, my dad booked it and his two sons came along. We had a wonderful time, it's family run, guides are very professional and prepared. Roy guided my dad and his son and daughter guided us. Really nice accommodation similar to a hotel room in an outbuilding at their ranch. Tons of sheep, tons of rams, and they're good at finding them.

I just finished a hunt at HE Sproul ranch with Roy Hurley. Similar deal for us, my dad booked it and his two sons came along. We had a wonderful time, it's family run, guides are very professional and prepared. Roy guided my dad and his son and daughter guided us. Really nice accommodation similar to a hotel room in an outbuilding at their ranch. Tons of sheep, tons of rams, and they're good at finding them.
Looks interesting. How many days were you there. What about activities for non hunters.

slatty

WKR
Looks interesting. How many days were you there. What about activities for non hunters.
We were there 4 days. Not sure about non-hunters. There is a pool and deck at the main lodge and the scenery is nice.
Big bend national park is about 2h drive I think and I would have liked to see that place.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
We were there 4 days. Not sure about non-hunters. There is a pool and deck at the main lodge and the scenery is nice.
Big bend national park is about 2h drive I think and I would have liked to see that place.
Hey Slatty did you guys drive? I think I would drive from Alberta.
One of these hunts is on my bucket list, probably the only sheep hunt ill ever be able to afford.
I will probably try and trade one of my moose hunts for a 2x1 aoudad hunt.

Mojave

WKR
How are the high fenced hunts? and the hunts over feeders. Not sure I can do that, but I see it's all over TX.
I guess it depends on what kind of an adventure you want.

I have had them eat out of my hand in a Texas drive through safari park. I have hunted them in New Mexico in the wilds, and shot one in West Texas in the wilds on a 500,000 acre ranch.

I would have no problem killing one on a game ranch hunt, as an incidental thing to hunting whitetails.

The biggest problem with them on game ranches is that they take forever to grow up, so they are rarely ever available for cheap.

I wouldn't pay a lot of money to shoot one on a game ranch. There are more interesting and much tastier things to hunt.

In the wild they are are a hell of a big game animal.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I guess it depends on what kind of an adventure you want.

I have had them eat out of my hand in a Texas drive through safari park. I have hunted them in New Mexico in the wilds, and shot one in West Texas in the wilds on a 500,000 acre ranch.

I would have no problem killing one on a game ranch hunt, as an incidental thing to hunting whitetails.

The biggest problem with them on game ranches is that they take forever to grow up, so they are rarely ever available for cheap.

I wouldn't pay a lot of money to shoot one on a game ranch. There are more interesting and much tastier things to hunt.

In the wild they are are a hell of a big game animal.
Bring a hard hitting, long range sheep rifle ( 6.5prc - 30 cal )
out here near marfa and van horn a 350+ yard shot is mas o Minos/ normal522316EB-4DF2-4F57-BBF2-51874F49B6C5.jpeg68B382C9-6023-498A-98B4-DA67AC09C636.jpeg

yfarm

WKR
Son shot one in NM with 7-08 at 320 yds uphill, animal was dead with one shot. High fence feeder hunts in Tx are not even on the same planet compared with free range in W Tx or NM. Agree with Mojave, try Oryx,Nilgai or Axis deer if you want outstanding meat.

sdcowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Had an outstanding hunt with Calhen. Me and a buddy both shot gold metal rams. The food was awesome and so was the hunting. Probably seen 300 plus sheep. Make sure you bring a long range hard hitting rifle. 300 win mag isn’t to small. They can soak up a lot of lead.

Tex68w

WKR
We have them wild on our place outside of Kerrville. They aren't B&C Trophy size but they are fun to stalk in the canyon and they need to go as they trash the place. I was stepping out of the blind this weekend while whitetail hunting to take a crap and I happened upon this guy within 130 yds. I only had my 300BLK SBR in hand incase I came up on some pigs or javelina so I had to creep within 100yds and take the shot. The bullet bounced off of his spine and traveled down and out through his shoulder. I didn't expect it to work well but it got the job done. He only measured 24" but he had a decent body and chaps. It'll make for a decent Euro mount in the cabin. I am looking forward to taking some of the bigger ones out there in the years to come but I'd definitely like to get out west and shoot a 30+ soon.

hmXNs5j.jpg

isXJJJM.jpg

0qErRO5.jpg

Nordman

FNG
Hey Slatty did you guys drive? I think I would drive from Alberta.
One of these hunts is on my bucket list, probably the only sheep hunt ill ever be able to afford.
I will probably try and trade one of my moose hunts for a 2x1 aoudad hunt.
it s a long drive from Alberta . We flew to El Paso , rented a car and drove approx 3 hours to fort Davies . My highest recommendations for Roy from H E Sproul Ranch . Best guided hunting trip I’ve ever been . Real hunt .

Nordman

FNG
My dad is getting older, about 73 now, I’m en years from now I don’t want to regret not getting out on another good hunt with him.

I’m looking for recommendations for a free range texas Barbary sheep hunt, dad can hike well but he’s getting up there in age. I’d love to be able to go on one of these hunts with him. 3-5 days or so, free range, hopefully somewhere with good quality animals too.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I’m more or less ready to pull the trigger and book it. A year out is ok as it give my dad some time to set up his regular fitness routine and work on his shooting.

Preferably 2 hunters (dad and me) one guide if that’s how it goes.

Thanks!!!
Just came back from a hunt around fort Davis , Texas with Roy from H E Sproul Ranch . My highest recommendations .