Looking for suggestions for a new desktop computer.

philos

Super Southern Moderator
Staff member
My Lenovo desktop bit the dust. I’m looking for a new desktop and I need one that can do video editing and I’d like to keep the cost under $800. I’m open to refurbished computers.

What would you all recommend?

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
You are running video encoding on 8g of ram and 512 gig SSD?
Negative, but hasn’t Mac always been a prime choice for creators due to video and image editing capabilities?

Just putting the option out there. I don’t do those sorts of tasks, but it’s worth looking at a Mini.

Check out newegg.com they sell almost any type of computer you could want and they have frequent sales. They carry a ton of different brands so look for one with the specs you want.

ODB

WKR
Negative, but hasn’t Mac always been a prime choice for creators due to video and image editing capabilities?

Just putting the option out there. I don’t do those sorts of tasks, but it’s worth looking at a Mini.

Macs are very much chosen by creators due to the hardware/software integration and their ability to handle multiple tasks etc. still, heavy encoding and processing requires muscle. My iMac has 24g of Ram/unified memory and a 2 TB SSD and it is very nice for working in the Adobe Creative suite. It’s about where I would start for any serious / heavy work.

kpk

WKR
I had a Mac and then got a Lenovo gaming PC (for photo and video editing). I hate my PC and will absolutely be going back to Mac when the time comes.

Performance is fine on the Lenovo but the constant pop up harassment from McAfee, OneDrive, Microsoft, Lenovo, Nvidia makes me want to smash that thing. It just never ends.

IDVortex

WKR
Performance is fine on the Lenovo but the constant pop up harassment from McAfee, OneDrive, Microsoft, Lenovo, Nvidia makes me want to smash that thing. It just never enends.
That's depressing to hear. Been looking at a Lenovo for my business use and for a architect program. But that would drive me insane.

wesfromky

WKR
So many PC come preinstalled with a bunch crapware and bloatware. If you have the ability to do a clean reinstall of win11 you can get rid of most of it. I don't know if the make a desktop, but I have a MS surface for work that only came with the MS adware.

Personal has been Mac again after a few years of windows. So many things are just so much better on OSX, and no bloatware or adware.

CorbLand

WKR
So many PC come preinstalled with a bunch crapware and bloatware. If you have the ability to do a clean reinstall of win11 you can get rid of most of it. I don't know if the make a desktop, but I have a MS surface for work that only came with the MS adware.

Personal has been Mac again after a few years of windows. So many things are just so much better on OSX, and no bloatware or adware.
All of our work computers are PC and this is what happens for us. IT orders them and immediately wipes them and installs what we need.

They also password protect them, so they have to come install all the updates. This allows them to makes sure updates arent going to cause any major issues before everyone's computers has the latest version.