Looking for some courage/advice on leaving a job for a 40k pay cut per year?

FAAFO

WKR
I took a 75k cut in pay in Feb to spend more time outdoors. You would probably laugh but I had roughly 14 weeks of PTO a year and wasn’t happy with that. 😵‍💫

It’s been a few months and no regrets. I’m currently grabbing coffee and am going to work as I spent mon-Fri outdoors. I’ll let the WW have the woods.

tony

WKR
I just turned down a gig with a $25.00 pay raise.
Would have bumped me from $33.00 to 55.00 and then 60.00 on weekends. I'm a nurse for reference.
But it would have put me back in the emergency department, and I despise welfare trash.
I interviewed and was surprised they called me with an offer. I was respectful in the interview but I'm sure I came across as I really didn't care one way or another.
I took a few days to think about it and realized, I am never going to have it as easy as prison nursing and I can manage my money. So what I'm making is ok. And at my age, my sanity and time off is worth more than cash. I work a week and off a week and never have to kiss ass for a satisfaction score.

ODB

WKR
when we long last moved back to Idaho my wife took a 90k pay cut because she simply quit her job. She is a bad-ass in her field and in 3 years now surpasses her old salary working three days a week. The numbers are irrelevant to the individual circumstances.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
when we long last moved back to Idaho my wife took a 90k pay cut because she simply quit her job. She is a bad-ass in her field and in 3 years now surpasses her old salary working three days a week. The numbers are irrelevant to the individual circumstances.
What field is that?

Keep in mind that each dollar you’ve already saved, if well invested, will be far more valuable than any dollars you save in the future. I’m 47 and haven’t saved a penny since I got married at 29 but I was frugal in my 20s and saved enough and invested well enough to not regret putting anything away since then. The time value of money is pretty crazy. Just as an example I’ve held on to a $4k investment in Apple stock from my 20’s that’s now worth $135k. If you’re still young your financial future may be already set.

Life is too short for shitty jobs
Life is too short for ANY job. Given none of us knows how much longer we got, being able to do what you want, when you want as early in life as possible, is the goal.

But a "shitty" job is better than no job, if you need money.

TaperPin

WKR
I have a friend who works less now - rather than making over time he always seems to be playing video games and looking at only fans. Another friend didn’t take a promotion because it was more work, so instead he struggles with side jobs and works just as much and makes less money in the process. I have a relative who took a pay cut and his wife went ballistic when her fun money dried up.

Only you know if your energy level can hold up to the long days, but many happy healthy folks work a lot. Spending more time with the family sounds good, but spending less time, but making that time as good as possible can also be good.

Making any life changing decisions shortly after having a new baby is never a good idea - I imagine your wife would appreciate more help, but that can happen in many ways that don’t require you to be home at 5:00.

TaperPin

WKR
What kind of happiness does money buy you ? It seems the older I get having the nicest truck or boat doesn’t appeal to me any more vs time to enjoy life and the stuff I purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know what your income bracket is, but kids aren’t cheap, and many fun hobbies and trips you’ll want to do with them aren’t cheap. Activities aren’t cheap. Your hobbies and toys may not bring you more happiness, but toys and hobbies you can share and experience with your kid are worth whatever you can afford.

I have a friend who works less now - rather than making over time he always seems to be playing video games and looking at only fans. Another friend didn’t take a promotion because it was more work, so instead he struggles with side jobs and works just as much and makes less money in the process. I have a relative who took a pay cut and his wife went ballistic when her fun money dried up.

Only you know if your energy level can hold up to the long days, but many happy healthy folks work a lot. Spending more time with the family sounds good, but spending less time, but making that time as good as possible can also be good.

Making any life changing decisions shortly after having a new baby is never a good idea - I imagine your wife would appreciate more help, but that can happen in many ways that don’t require you to be home at 5:00.
Your friend sounds like he has life figured out. Video games and Onlyfans sounds amazing. Atleast now I have a goal to strive to.

It matters none what someone does with their free time vs working so long as they are enjoying it. Not everyone enjoys the job they have, the shift/hours or the people they work with and working more than necessary isn't going to make them happier. Choosing family over money is never the wrong decision so long as you have enough to live well. Not everyone wants to work their life away and those that do recognize that mistake later in life.....when it's too late.

OP I dont envy your situation, but I empathize and relate to it well.
I see both sides, weigh similar things out alot lately myself.
Time with family is important, but so is finacial security for that same family.
Personally for me, the struggle is finding the balance between quantity and quality of time spent with family.
If you want to be able to influence your kids in the right direction you must be present.
Taking one or two big vacations a year and hardly seeing them otherwise doesn't cut it in my book.
However, simply being around more doesn't really have that much value if your spending that time working in other ways or just staring at a screen while your kids do the same or entertain them selves in some other way that doesn't involve you.
The advice of finding a finacial advisor is solid...but do your due diligence there because as with any profession, the half asses out there for a buck far outweigh the number of people doing because they are good at it and genuinely enjoy and find meaning in the work.
Finding that work/life/money balance is one of the most difficult things to do because it's different for everyone so there's no great blue print to follow.
Money doesn't buy happiness...but it is necessary to the degree of affording what you and your family need to feel secure and content.
I wish you luck in making the best decisions for you and yours.
Your not alone, most of us are in the same boat. Make your choices as informed as possible and realize you'll get some of them wrong and simply have to try again. As long as you don't let yourself get depressed and complacent you'll make it work.

Life is too short for ANY job. Given none of us knows how much longer we got, being able to do what you want, when you want as early in life as possible, is the goal.

But a "shitty" job is better than no job, if you need money.
My Mom ( God rest her soul and perhaps the most worldly wise person I’ve ever known ) said, “ It’s true that money isn’t everything. But try living without any. “

Swamp Fox

WKR
I understand. Been in a 6 figure (now) job for nearly 25 years.
I fantasize about stocking shelves at a local grocery store.
Do it! They need you, believe me.

It's tough on the shoulders and managers will be cheap on the hours so they can make their bonuses, even if your department looks like a grenade went off there for lack of help.

You might try explaining that you work harder than most they're liable to encounter these days, and that you'll show up when you're supposed to and won't be hiding in a bathroom stall playing on your cell phone half your shift. (At least I hope you won't ... LOL)

If you're very lucky you'll get a manager with almost all the brain cells he should have, who will let you write your own ticket.

And the employee discount should not be ignored on groceries these days, so you'd have that goin' for you, which is nice.

croben

WKR
I went through something similar two years ago and made the choice to change some things at work so I could be home more with my family and actually be present when I was with them. I made a list of the most important things in my life and it made my decision much simpler going based on that. I don’t regret it one bit either. You have the rest of your life to make money, but you will never get this time back with your family.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I don’t know what your income bracket is, but kids aren’t cheap, and many fun hobbies and trips you’ll want to do with them aren’t cheap. Activities aren’t cheap. Your hobbies and toys may not bring you more happiness, but toys and hobbies you can share and experience with your kid are worth whatever you can afford.

I 100% agree with kids aren’t cheap. I am not dropping to a poverty wage by any means and my investments will be enough to retire with time in the market.

I have always chased every last bit of OT and took a lot of extra schooling to make the big dollars. So I am struggling my to switch my mindset now. It seems foreign to not be obsessed over money now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
As an old geezer I’ll also say your future financial well being not only affects the ability to provide luxuries to the three of you, but it’s also a buffer for problems that pop up down the road with kids, grand kids, sick brothers/sisters, old parents, relatives, etc.

Life can be rough - who ever says otherwise is only looking at the good times.

Make hay while the sun is shining.

I took a 30k pay cut a couple years ago and took a job I loved (playing with guns). It was the best thing I could have done at the time and helped me gain insight to what my path needed to be moving forward which included putting my family first. I did end up leaving that job but there was a purpose this time and no ridiculously long hours.