Looking for some advice/direction for a rifle with a 20” carbon barrel

Marshfly

WKR
The new Weatherby 338 RPM is ballistically extremely similar to a 338 Win Mag at the same bullet weight. Available in the Backcountry line in an 18" barrel with a short action. Super light rifle.

Last edited:
OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I just built this Rem Model 7 in 300 WSM. 20 inch barrel. Great shooter and a peach to carry.

Beautiful rifle! How does the 300wsm do in a short barrel? How is the recoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the same place as you a couple years ago. Ultimately I had Plains Precision Firearms build a Defiance model 7 length action for me with a 22" Proof in 300WSM. I debated back and forth, and really wanted 20, but went with 22. You can buy 20" 30 cal Proof barrels off the shelf, just not in a pre-fit. You can even use one of the standard style barrels on a Savage and barrel it without a barrel nut. PPF just chambered my gun in the more traditional way, and it came out great, best gun I've ever owned. Its 7.8 pounds with suppressor and a mag.

Last edited:

doakes

FNG
Beautiful rifle! How does the 300wsm do in a short barrel? How is the recoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is surprisingly not to bad. It does have some recoil but not as bad as shooting duck loads out of a 12 gauge.

Seeknelk

WKR
Buying a Tikka t3x 300 wsm and cut the barrel is wayyyy too easy, accurate , reliable, affordable and awesome.
Can Add a $10 trigger spring if you want the trigger lighter but probably not needed.
I also add the vertical grip module. That s it. Tikka actions seem perfect for WSM cartridge class.

Sevens

WKR
I’d vote build on an Origin action. You can get a different bolt head too if you wanted swap the barrel to something else, like a 223 trainer for the off-season.