Looking for some advice/direction for a rifle with a 20” carbon barrel

Elite

WKR
I am looking for some insight and ideas for a new rifle to set up over the winter and off season. I currently have a 30-06 with a 22” barrel and weighs 8.2lbs ready to hunt and has worked great for 16 years and killed many many critters. I also bought a 7mm-08 ultralight rifle with a 20” barrel and it is amazing to handle in tight bush and fits on my shoulder strap well and only weighs 6.9lbs. I am now wanting a light weight 300wsm with a 20” carbon barrel. Looks like all the rifles come in a 24”-26” barrels. Wondering what my best options are to achieve a 20”? Seems like you can’t cut a carbon barrel down? Thought about buying a tikka and adding a carbon barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pound for pound a carbon-vs-steel barrel debate is a hard decision. Carbon looks/sounds like it should be lighter....but that's not always the case. I've got two rifles of two different setups in a SA setup. One a Proof carbon barrel, one a steel barrel with fluting. The complete rifles are within a few OZ of each other in weight.
No you cannot "cut down" a carbon barrel...you just buy the carbon barrel built to the length you want.
As example:
Proof Carbons are offered in their bolt action line starting at 16.5" up to 26". You would need these fitted to your action. I think you would need the chamber cut as well.
There are action "pre-fit" Proof barrels that you can select but you may be limited in those sized selections.

A length of 24-26" in 300 wsm might be the best range for keeping velocities where needed for the round.
Since you mentioned Tikka, Proof offers a 24" 1-10 twist pre-fit.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
You’re going to get a lot of people on here recommending the Tikka route, But you can also get a carbon prefit for a Remington 700, Bergara, howa, savage, etc. I would figure out what stock you want first as that will limit your action fittings, then either get the action or a cheaper gun that you can upgrade over time.
Also look into the savage or the new Bergara models with a carbon barrel, not sure what barrel lengths those come with

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to do a 20” 300wsm too this year. I’m in a little different situation as I have a Terminus Zeus Quick change. I’m going to order a 20” lite sendero proof barrel that is a pre-fit. I run a Thunderbeast Ultra 9 Gen 2 suppressor so that’s why I want the 20”.

I’ll be that guy who says if you want simple, buy a Tikka and cut it. Or buy a prefit the way you want it. Most folks do say to have a gunsmith remove the Tikka factory barrel. I mean that’s what I’d do.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for the input everyone. I currently have a savage storm ultralight in a 7mm-08 and actually love the gun but would it be possible to convert it to a 300 wsm? Or a 7 Saum?

Thanks for the input everyone. I currently have a savage storm ultralight in a 7mm-08 and actually love the gun but would it be possible to convert it to a 300 wsm? Or a 7 Saum?

Which model do you have, 110? If it’s already chambered in 30.06 it should be long enough.

For 300WSM you’ll need a new magnum bolt head and you’ll either need to set your barrel back and rechamber or buy a new barrel. You’ll need new mags too.

For 7SAUM you’ll need to do similar; new magnum bolt head, new barrel and new mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Which model do you have, 110? If it’s already chambered in 30.06 it should be long enough.

For 300WSM you’ll need a new magnum bolt head and you’ll either need to set your barrel back and rechamber or buy a new barrel. You’ll need new mags too.

For 7SAUM you’ll need to do similar; new magnum bolt head, new barrel and new mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s the 110 storm ultralight chambered in 7mm-08

Getting a tikka and buying a prefit is a great option- if you can find a prefit in the length and caliber you are seeking. If not, getting a barrel fitted to a tikka is not difficult for a competent gunsmith.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Getting a tikka and buying a prefit is a great option- if you can find a prefit in the length and caliber you are seeking. If not, getting a barrel fitted to a tikka is not difficult for a competent gunsmith.

Seems like that is the problem I am having. All pre fit barrels are in the 22-24”

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
CA ridgeline FFT is the easy button. It is already built the way you want it.

Is there magazines available for these rifles? Not a fan of the bottom floor plate

Ram94

WKR
Is there magazines available for these rifles? Not a fan of the bottom floor plate

There is aftermarket dbm kits you can install. I had installed a Kwik Klip conversion on a Ridgeline. Corlanes in Dawson Creek sold them and it worked really well.

axeforce6

WKR
I built a 20” 300wsm on a zermatt origin action. Found a 20” proof 30 cal barrel and had it chambered by bugholes here in Tn. I put the rifle in a AG alpine hunter stock. Hawkins hunter DBM with a 6.5prc magazine. The rifle handles great. I loaded some 185 Berger hybrid targets for it to 2900 fps. Shoots consistent 1/2 MOA groups. I run it suppressed. It’s been my main hunting rifle this season. The easy way to go like others stated is the Christensen Ridgeline FFT. I wouldn’t hesitate buying one.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 20” 300wsm on a zermatt origin action. Found a 20” proof 30 cal barrel and had it chambered by bugholes here in Tn. I put the rifle in a AG alpine hunter stock. Hawkins hunter DBM with a 6.5prc magazine. The rifle handles great. I loaded some 185 Berger hybrid targets for it to 2900 fps. Shoots consistent 1/2 MOA groups. I run it suppressed. It’s been my main hunting rifle this season. The easy way to go like others stated is the Christensen Ridgeline FFT. I wouldn’t hesitate buying one.
What advantage do you feel you got by building one? Weight savings? Proof barrel vs Christensen?

axeforce6

WKR
What advantage do you feel you got by building one? Weight savings? Proof barrel vs Christensen?
I got exactly what I wanted, but frankly if I did it over, I'd buy the Ridgeline FFT and save some money. The Zermatt Origin is a very smooth action and I love how easy the closing and opening of the bolt is. That never makes or breaks a deal for me though. I haven't shot many proof barrels, but I've shot several Christensens. All of them shoot very very well. My proof hasn't let me down either, and the availability of them is a very good perk. It was the only manufacturer readily available in a 20" carbon barrel. My rifle finished weighs more than the FFT. I could put it in a different stock and save a few ounces maybe.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I got exactly what I wanted, but frankly if I did it over, I'd buy the Ridgeline FFT and save some money. The Zermatt Origin is a very smooth action and I love how easy the closing and opening of the bolt is. That never makes or breaks a deal for me though. I haven't shot many proof barrels, but I've shot several Christensens. All of them shoot very very well. My proof hasn't let me down either, and the availability of them is a very good perk. It was the only manufacturer readily available in a 20" carbon barrel. My rifle finished weighs more than the FFT. I could put it in a different stock and save a few ounces maybe.
Thanks for the response. There is nothing quite like a custom action. I love my defiance, but from what I've seen of Christensen its not like they are a ruger and they are pretty good. I understand getting exactly what you want though.

doakes

FNG
I just built this Rem Model 7 in 300 WSM. 20 inch barrel. Great shooter and a peach to carry.

Attachments

• 300wsm.jpg
    300wsm.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 43