Looking for outer shell suggestions

doollas

FNG
I have always gone cheap on gear, even when I lived in the midwest and was sitting up in treestands in below freezing weather, or hiking 5 miles trying to kill pheasants, I went cheap and somewhat uncomfortable. I live out west now and backpack hunt, usually in dry areas. Last year (in a normally dry area) I got rained on hiking in, and it was a fairly miserable trip after that lol. I have a real job and decided I shouldn't be so cheap anymore. I'm also hunting in a wetter area this elk season.

I splurged on FL merino baselayers, upper midlayer (the origin hoody), and corrugate foundry pant. I also went with a Marmot Eco Precip Pant/Jacket for rainwear. What to do for an "outer shell" or layer is where I get confused. Some of my questions are:

1. If it's wet, is there any point in a "hybrid" or softshell jacket, seeing as how I'll probably throw on my rain gear anyways? I mean yeah, having something that is "tough" and provides a bit of warmth and water resistance is great...but my $50 coleman jacket from 2010 hasn't done terrible in that regard.
2. Does an outer shell exist that is breathable, tough, water resistant in a light rain? Since I was doing FL, I tried the Sawtooth Jacket and granted I could have gone up a size, but it fit WEIRD. I just don't get these garments sold as outer layers that don't seem that tough, don't seem that water resistant, and are $200 or more.
3. Not bragging but I'm a pretty jacked dude, 235 lbs/10% bf. Finding things that fit without tailoring is not an easy task. I'm open to any suggestions on hunting clothes that might serve my build.

Can any of ya'll educate me on this? THank you!

slick

WKR
I'd recommend just keep going up in a size until it fights. Maybe nothing will?
Kuiu Chugach if concerned about weight
Kuiu Kutana (my preference)
Kuiu Yukon if you're looking for tough

I believe they make the best rain gear on the market, currently.

Jetstream or Stratus would fit the bill for question 2.
But you have to answer question one first. Lol
Both have Gore windstopper and are semi water proof in a light rain. They're warm for their size and tough.
They fit small. So order a size up. You'll need a 2x minimum

*zap*

WKR
Cannot go wrong with a good quality waterproof hard shell that is sized big for you. There are lots of uses for that item......from over just a light base layer to over base/mid and then down to keep the wind out and body heat in.

Water resistant would work also...except in steady rain.

Kuiu guide jacket. I have an original first gen, one of the best all around soft shell jackets I've ever owned. Shrugs off light rain. Quiet, and tough as nails. A bit warm for early season if it's hot out, but it's my go-to jacket from mid-September through the late seasons, just layer accordingly. Haven't tried the kutana, but I hear people love them.

OP
D

doollas

FNG
Cannot go wrong with a good quality waterproof hard shell that is sized big for you. There are lots of uses for that item......from over just a light base layer to over base/mid and then down to keep the wind out and body heat in.

Water resistant would work also...except in steady rain.

I don't think I described my question well, but you basically gave me what I was looking for. At the end of the day, if it's raining hard, you need a real waterproof layer. I'm sure there are instances where folks need the $400+ insulated and waterproof outer layer (or $200-$300 for a mostly uninsulated camo outer layer), but I can't justify the $ when a marmot eco is $100 and light as a feather. And your last caveat there, also true. So I went with a treated FL softshell.

I went all FL so far: merino bottom layer, origin hoody (LOVE it, it's DWR treated), and catalyst softshell, also treated. For bottoms I have same bottom layer and catalyst foundry pant. If it rains hard, I'll have the marmot outer layers.

I love all the gear but the zipper on one of the catalyst pant legs gets caught in the fabric, you can tell there is a slight difference in how the seams got sewed from right leg to left leg. I'll have to return them. I also ordered a T-shirt...damn thing has moth holes under one of the armpits (not on a seam), so I'll be returning that as well. Hopefully these issues aren't foreshadowing bigger issues with their gear.

Kuiu guide jacket. I have an original first gen, one of the best all around soft shell jackets I've ever owned. Shrugs off light rain. Quiet, and tough as nails. A bit warm for early season if it's hot out, but it's my go-to jacket from mid-September through the late seasons, just layer accordingly. Haven't tried the kutana, but I hear people love them.

That is a really nice jacket.

Thanks everyone!