Looking for a new hunting rifle

ssramage

FNG
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new hunting rifle for this season but haven't bought one in a while so I'm not up to date on the market right now.

I typically hunt with a 7mm-08 Model 7 and love the rifle but my son has "adopted" it and left Dad looking for a new rifle. Last season I hunted a bunch with a Whidden custom 6.5CM but it was really just too long and heavy for maneuvering easily in our box blinds.

So here's what I'd like, and could use some recommendations. I want a quality rifle (not a Ruger American Predator for example)

.308 caliber
Fairly lightweight and short enough to run with/without a suppressor in a box blind (thinking 20-22" barrel?)
Nice synthetic stock
Good trigger
Accurate

Thoughts?

TN2shot07

WKR
Why not hunt down another model seven? Toward the end Remington made a couple of editions with a 16.5 in threaded barrel in 308 and 300 blackout. I have one in 308, would be awesome for a suppressor. They even belled the end of the barrel to create a shoulder in case you wanted to run one

OP
S

ssramage

FNG
Why not hunt down another model seven? Toward the end Remington made a couple of editions with a 16.5 in threaded barrel in 308 and 300 blackout. I have one in 308, would be awesome for a suppressor. They even belled the end of the barrel to create a shoulder in case you wanted to run one

I've seen those a few times and would consider one, but they don't come available often.

The Fix by Q. Greatest bolt action ever.

I guess I should also clarify, I prefer more traditional style rifles.

TN2shot07

WKR
I've seen those a few times and would consider one, but they don't come available often.

It’s be worth it if you can hunt one down, then it’s also super easy for your son to operate the exact same rifle he’s using if he needs a little more umph!

If not, one of the Kimber Montana's/Adirondacks or maybe a Christensen fft would be similar

Weldor

WKR
The new Savage ultra light predator 308 . 18 cf bbl. 6.9LBS. Accustock. New for this year.

wrexstex

FNG
Nosler Model 21
Nosler’s team of rifle designers has whipped up a winner with the Model 21. Designed first and foremost as a hunting rifle, this synthetic-stocked little gem can deliver the goods in the deer woods, the antelope prairie or the sheep mountains. Using a dual-lug spiral bolt, TriggerTech trigger and Shilen match barrel, the Model 21 is a wonderfully accurate rifle.

I just went through something similar this year buying a rifle for my daughter. I ended up with a Tikka T3X after looking at a few different ones.

I think it meets all your requirements:

.308 caliber-Yes
Fairly lightweight and short enough to run with/without a suppressor in a box blind (thinking 20-22" barrel?)-22"
Nice synthetic stock: Yes
Good trigger: Yes, adjustable
Accurate: Yes, 3-shot 1 M.O.A @ 100m guarantee. The 6.5C I got for my daughter easily met this mark.

You can get one for $750 at Cabelas. Sportsmans has an exclusive model for $850 that is stainless and fluted.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had a hunt from a blind and used an “18” barrel plus suppressor.

If I were buying a rifle for it, I would go 16”. I presume shots out of a box blind won’t need to be long range.

It’s hard to find just the right gun, but cutting down the barrel and threading is usually cheap enough that you can customize a gun you otherwise like.

OP
S

ssramage

FNG
I had a hunt from a blind and used an “18” barrel plus suppressor.

If I were buying a rifle for it, I would go 16”. I presume shots out of a box blind won’t need to be long range.

It’s hard to find just the right gun, but cutting down the barrel and threading is usually cheap enough that you can customize a gun you otherwise like.
350yds or so is about the max I'd shoot

wesfromky

WKR
I have been on sorta the same quest in looking for a short barrel .308 to run with the Otter Creek Hydrogen L that I have in jail. I have decided on 16" and there are not a lot of options that come factory threaded. Pretty sure I am going to go with a ruger gunsite scout as it ticks all the boxes. I was really looking at a sig cross as well, but the chassis vs stock thread sorta convinced me to stay with a stock due to cold weather. Other options are going to need the barrel cut and threaded. and with the lighter contours, you will likely need a thread adaptor.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Get one of the new Howa Superlite in .308. Mine weighs 5#7.5oz with Talleys and Leupold 2.5x8.

maya

FNG
I'm happy with my 16" gunsite scout. Swapped the laminate stock for synthetic & bed the forefend with epoxy. Removed silly birdcage flash hider & installed a knurled thread protector. Installed noveske flush cup quick detach sling mounts on the sides & run a blue force gear quick adjust nylon sling with a ranger band for taking up slack. Tried a scout scope but removed the forward rail & rear mounted a Leopold 3-9x40 w/ a firedot mil reticle & exposed mil turrets. Ruger poly mags, 5 & 10 rounders. The gun is the antithesis of a safe queen, in fact it's never been in a safe even once. It's on its 3rd rattle can paint job & has lived its entire life in my truck. Thick brush, long rucks, deep base camps,, rain, snow, heat etc. It's light, handy & tough. Many other options but I like mine.