Looking for a New 7mm to Shoot

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
I've done some research, good thing about Tikka T3x's are that Tikka them selves want to limit the amount of SKUs that they have. Their bolt faces are all compatible with different calibers, you just have to "shim" them into the desired spec.

Something goes for the action, It is all the same action (long action, short action). There is just a bolt stop that needs to be trimmed. Trim that to the desired spec/action and you can change from short to long action, get a new bolt stop to get back to a SA from a LA.

Thats what it is called! Thanks!
Not sure where you’re getting your tikka bolt info. The 270 is definitely a standard bolt face. The 284 win seems like the best choice for you using your current configuration.

To do a magnum cartridge you’d have to get a magnum bolt, or find a smith who could open up your standard bolt face.

Edit to add pic, standard bolt face on left, magnum on right.

Attachments

• 6A7794B0-A21F-420B-87B5-79E2C13ED39A.jpeg
    6A7794B0-A21F-420B-87B5-79E2C13ED39A.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
B

BLCT

FNG
Not sure where you’re getting your tikka bolt info. The 270 is definitely a standard bolt face. The 284 win seems like the best choice for you using your current configuration.

To do a magnum cartridge you’d have to get a magnum bolt, or find a smith who could open up your standard bolt face.

Edit to add pic, standard bolt face on left, magnum on right.
Heres a video I've seen West Desert Shooter do it on youtube! He actually just trimmed the bolt stop and trimmed the bolt face, because it is a SAKO style action. You can actually just trim face a bit, and shim the extractor.

Seems to be a SAKO thing (spring loaded), which is a major plus.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Yes a standard bolt face can be opened up to a magnum bolt face by some smiths, but can’t go the other way of magnum to standard. You made it sound like they are interchangeable with a shim which isn’t the case

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
Yes a standard bolt face can be opened up to a magnum bolt face by some smiths, but can’t go the other way of magnum to standard. You made it sound like they are interchangeable with a shim which isn’t the case
My mistake, I was trying to say that the TIKKA T3x "action" itself is just 1 SKU and is locked to place by their bolt stop. Trim the bolt stop (any maybe open the bolt face) and you can convert to long action.

For example, .243 Win to 7 SAUM. Open up the bolt face, shim the extractor with paper of some short, and trim/get a new bolt stop. Then voila!

Still pretty new to this stuff so I'm just learning so far!

Mag_7s

WKR
I really don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to convert to magnum boltface. The .284 win would be an excellent choice, or you could take it a step further to the. 284 shehane. If the magnum bolt face is your true desire, I would source a magnum action and not try to modify. Just my .02.

284 and 7-6.5 PRC are all but functionally the same. Maybe a grain or 2 difference in case capacity.

IMO the PRC might make sense in the following scenarios:
-You cant source lapua 284 brass but you can source lapua PRC brass
-You have a magnum bolt face already
-You need to stuff them in a SA magazine (which is about the same as doing it with a 7 SAUM, not ideal but it works)

Otherwise, 284 makes more sense. Should be easier to find a smith with the desired reamer as 284 is the darling cartridge of F-class. Either way, these cases are a completely different animal than 28 Nosler, 7 PRC, 7 RM, 7-300 PRC, and make a lot more sense to someone wanting a stable rifle to bang steel with.

Harvey_NW

WKR
If you invest in a Sherman make sure you get it chambered with a B-reamer so you actually get a few firings out of your brass. I'll never get over Rich being too chickenshit to let people know the issues and stop sales before he got all his dimension issues worked out.

Gila

WKR
Sounds kinda nice and spicy. Lets see if I can source some .284 Win brass in Canada! Gotta do some more research on it. Right now seems to be hat 7mm-6.5 PRC and the Sherman wildcats are my top choices.
6.5 x 284 Norma will neck up ok if you can’t find the Lapua .284 brass. I had my chamber throated for the 180 VLD hunter which is the same as the match bullet only with a slightly thinner jacket. The OAL and load data is almost the same. Haven’t received the barrel yet, so don’t know what the performance will be though.

gerry35

WKR
With a standard bolt face the 284 Win is the most logical choice in a Tikka action. Will give you plenty of room for bullets and no modifications needed for the bolt face. Peterson makes 284 brass as well. After reading this thread I have become quite impressed with the 284 Win as a round.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
I really don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to convert to magnum boltface. The .284 win would be an excellent choice, or you could take it a step further to the. 284 shehane. If the magnum bolt face is your true desire, I would source a magnum action and not try to modify. Just my .02.
You do make a good point, its probably better to just source a magnum action rifle.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
If you invest in a Sherman make sure you get it chambered with a B-reamer so you actually get a few firings out of your brass. I'll never get over Rich being too chickenshit to let people know the issues and stop sales before he got all his dimension issues worked out.
any pointers on where to find the b-reamers? I heard about the proof barrel and Sherman drama. Its a mixed bag for me.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
6.5 x 284 Norma will neck up ok if you can’t find the Lapua .284 brass. I had my chamber throated for the 180 VLD hunter which is the same as the match bullet only with a slightly thinner jacket. The OAL and load data is almost the same. Haven’t received the barrel yet, so don’t know what the performance will be though.
Whats the wildcatt round called? 7-6.5x284 Norma? Isn't the 6.5-284 Norma a cut down/shorter version of the .284 Win, and necked down to 6.5?

I just picked up 200 pieces of 7 saum brass and see it available on classifieds weekly especially on long range hunting and shooting forums. You can also get on UM backorder and lock it in. ADG produces a run every 6 months. If you lock in brass now you will probably have it before your rifle is done.

I just picked up 200 pieces of 7 saum brass and see it available on classifieds weekly especially on long range hunting and shooting forums. You can also get on UM backorder and lock it in. ADG produces a run every 6 months. If you lock in brass now you will probably have it before your rifle is done.

Yeah, it seems to be constantly available on the classifieds here.

Gila

WKR
Whats the wildcatt round called? 7-6.5x284 Norma? Isn't the 6.5-284 Norma a cut down/shorter version of the .284 Win, and necked down to 6.5?
No…it’s just necked down .284 win. I just bought another box of 284 win Lapua brass though. Now that Lapua is providing 284 win brass again there is no need to get the 6.5 x 284 anymore.

Gila

WKR
The .284 case uses a standard long action bolt face (.473) which is the same as .270 win, 30-06 etc.

Harvey_NW

WKR
any pointers on where to find the b-reamers? I heard about the proof barrel and Sherman drama. Its a mixed bag for me.
You'd have to clarify with whoever's gonna chamber your barrel, I know there are a few out there.

OP
B

BLCT

FNG
I think I am going to settle on the .280 AI. I wonder if .280 AI is capable of pushing a Berger 180gr Hybrid Target, or a 183gr SMK to 2900fps~ with a 28-30" barrel. I do not know if I am asking too much/if that is too HOT for the .280 AI. I am really planning on running 180-185gr bullets to 2900fps~, and 190gr hybrid targets at 2800fps~. What do you think? Is that asking to much for the .280 AI? Or should I be looking for a different cartridge?

I know with 7 SAUM is possible and fairly easy to push a 183gr SMK to 2950fps~, but you have to mess around with the seating depth (longer is better). I've seen a few youtubers pushing the COAL to 3.06, running a 183gr SMK to around 2950fps~ with about 64.4-64.6gr of H1000 with what looks like a 26-28" barrel.

What are your thoughts? I also may experiment with seating depths before purchasing a barrel, so I can have my soon to be ordered barrel tailored to my desired COAL.

Mag_7s

WKR
I think the .280AI is a good choice. How come you want to push heavies it so hard? There is nothing wrong with velocity, but you may be better suited to just start from scratch with a 7PRC.