longest antelope pack out?

KP20129

FNG
2 miles. Antelope hunting isn't the road hunt some people think. At least not in low point units I hunt. Lower population seems to have made walking away from the road necessary which is fin3 by me.

2rocky

WKR
Had to walk back to my truck anyway, so might as well go loaded...It was a mile & half or 2 miles...I'd gladly do it again. When you can see 4 miles to the next horizon It's perfectly reasonable to do a 2 mile stalk when you spot antelope.

1665682444327.png

JustBen

FNG
My one and only antelope died about 20 feet off the gravel road, and less than a mile from the house. You can see the farm yard in the background. I literally just went for a walk from the farm with my muzzleloader and called my Dad to bring a pickup truck when it was done because I didn't want to drag it back that far.

antelope.jpg

ToolMann

WKR
2.1 miles for me last year. Could have driven to within a mile except for rain the night before. Never saw another person off the road.

Attachments

• 20211002_091325.jpg
    20211002_091325.jpg
    845.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211002_111459.jpg
    20211002_111459.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 47

Macintosh

WKR
Antelope I shot this week in a very low-point unit was over 3.5miles from the truck. It didnt have to be, but it just worked out that way, kept looking over the next rise... To make matters worse, there was a large burned area midway that would have meant dragging across a full mile of bare sand/gravel, and we were staying in a place where we didnt have a place to process ourselves, and the local processors were either on a week+ waiting list or would not touch a quartered antelope under any circumstances. Thats crazy talk to me, but its their business. So, dumbass me gutted him and carried the little guy out whole, balanced in the load shelf of my pack. Which would have been type-2 fun when my knees were still under warranty, but at this point isnt something i’ll choose to do again. You know what they say...”strong like bull, smart like tractor”.
my wife put a great stalk on a nice buck a few days later, much closer to the road. We dragged him out about a mile and a quarter (nearly all downhill and on pretty good grass the whole way) which was blissfully easy by comparison, although we still had to flip him over midway to avoid scraping through the hide.

Attachments

• 1F44D321-477D-4B26-A247-08D917463A55.jpeg
    1F44D321-477D-4B26-A247-08D917463A55.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
I've "packed out" two of my 6 antelope. The first was a doe I killed in Utah in 2016. That was about 800-900yards. Put as much in the small day pack as I could fit and carried both front shoulders by hand.

My Wyoming buck from this year was just over 1 mile back to the truck. took an indirect route to try and stay as flat/downhill as I could.

My elk was much closer to a road this year.

mod7rem

FNG
The buck I got this year in Wyoming was about a mile pack. There were 5 of us hunting and only one truck but two had already filled their tags. So one guy, my son, stayed in town to clean and pack his meat on ice and one guy, my brother, was free to drive and drop everyone off where they wanted to go. I was dropped off in the morning in an area that I was hiking the day before and had spotted this buck. I found him again in the morning but his Doe’s made me work for it. They busted me a couple times but on the third attempt, many hours and miles later I was able to get a shot at 340 yds. I let my brother know where I was and he was able to get about a mile from me on dirt roads. If I’d left the truck where I was dropped off it would have been a lot farther. A pack full of deboned antelope isn’t too bad though. It was a perfect day.
1667173434234.jpeg