Long range scopes

Rob5589

WKR
Super open ended question. What do you consider long range? Hunting, target, comps?
The Bushnell 3.5-21 is a great scope for around a grand (used).
I have used the Vortex PST line and was pretty impressed for the money.
The SWFA line is popular, I have no personal experience with them.

Define long range...if measured in distances longer than 2 miles, how many aspirin do you intend to eat? Better to save your money than buy inferior glass. Are you looking for a long range spotting scope or rifle scope?

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
Hmmmm......let me give you the asshole answer. So you wanna shoot “long range”. OK, everyone does.

Now for the assumptions:

1. You’re new to shooting.
2. You’re new to “long range”
3. You’ve got a pile of play money
4. TV & Social Media have influenced your “need”
5. You’re not much of a hunter and figure if I can do it from a further distance, “I’ll have more success”.
6. Shooting something from “far away” is impressive.....should you be lucky enough to do so, the first thing you’ll mention is how far away “it” was.
7. You didn’t mention the rifle
8. You didn’t mention the bullet
9. You didn’t mention MOA or MILS
10. You didn’t mention scope tracking.
11. You just want the best for under $1,000 and assume everything else will just “work itself out”
12. ......and maybe an elk out west day

Having had a pile of asshole assumptions made on your part, time to clear the air.

Nobody beats their own dog. Anyone that’s dropped $1,000 on a scope won’t tell you it’s shit.

All scopes are “long range scopes”, but not everyone is a “long range shooter”

Asshole sarcasm mode off....

I’m about to upgrade to a 35 power scope. If you’re interested I’ll sell you a hell of a 1000 yard scope.

Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical 6.5-20 power. $2000 scope. $1000 to your door. Includes Leupold flip ip lense covers, Talley 1 piece bases, tube mounted scope level, and retractable tape to write down your minutes of angle.

Nobody out there will tell you this scope is shit. Top of the line.

stayx015

FNG
I picked up a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 MOA for just shy of $300... Seems like an awesome scope and you cannot beat Vortex Warranty!!!

Here are four options at 1000 or under. Not necessarily listed in order of quality.

$300 SWFA SS
$600 Meopro Optika6
$750 Bushnell LRTS
$1000 Nightforce SHV

I’ve been doing a lot of shooting 500 to 800 yards with a Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 and a SWFA 3-9. They are both solid and have worked well. The SHV lists for over 1k but you can find deals out there. The SWFA lists for 600 I think, Black Friday deals are good and I think they have another sale in April too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
The Nikon FX1000's are a pretty solid option as well.

They’re out of the scope biz so I’d pass.

For $550 bucks you can get a Weaver 3-15 iEMDR, which I own, (they were bought by Bushnell so if it goes tits up you’ll probably get a bushy tactical to replace it) or a Burris 3-15 XTR2. I have several of the Burris and the complaints about the glass I don’t have on my 4 examples 4-20s and 5-25s. If they don’t meet your criteria for clarity they replace them.

I also have SWFA 5-20 illuminated and it’s a damn nice scope for the money. I have 7 SWFA scopes from fixed to variable and no complaints.

call Doug and see what he can do for you. I saw some Steiners he had and of course the Athlon and Bushnell.

OP
Mountaingates
Super open ended question. What do you consider long range? Hunting, target, comps?
The Bushnell 3.5-21 is a great scope for around a grand (used).
I have used the Vortex PST line and was pretty impressed for the money.
The SWFA line is popular, I have no personal experience with them.
Well 1000 yards long range

OP
Mountaingates
Hmmmm......let me give you the asshole answer. So you wanna shoot “long range”. OK, everyone does.

Now for the assumptions:

5. You’re not much of a hunter and figure if I can do it from a further distance, “I’ll have more success”.
6. Shooting something from “far away” is impressive.....should you be lucky enough to do so, the first thing you’ll mention is how far away “it” was.
11. You just want the best for under $1,000 and assume everything else will just “work itself out”

Having had a pile of asshole assumptions made on your part, time to clear the air.

Nobody beats their own dog. Anyone that’s dropped $1,000 on a scope won’t tell you it’s shit.

I’ve killed more elk and deer in Wyoming since I’ve been of age lol, say very open ended question I’ll give you that lol, but I want to shoot 1000 yards with my .28 nosler or my 300 rum and run decent tactical scope to be able to shoot that far without breaking the bank

OP
Mountaingates

Now for the assumptions:

I have to give you credit for a great reply!!😀

KurtR

WKR
I’ve killed more elk and deer in Wyoming since I’ve been of age lol, say very open ended question I’ll give you that lol, but I want to shoot 1000 yards with my .28 nosler or my 300 rum and run decent tactical scope to be able to shoot that far without breaking the bank

trying to save money on scopes because you will be buying barrels for that 28 Nosler?

LaHunter

WKR
The Nightforce SHV 5-20X56mm is a solid option. It retails for a bit over $1k, but if you call Doug at CamerLand, he will give you a deal, just tell him you are a RS member. I have 2, but only for just a few weeks, so take that into consideration. The sight picture is very good in my opinion. Very clear and sharp, but I have not had either in really low light yet. I have used Leupold Mark 4 scopes for years, and I would say this NF model sight picture / resolution is at least as good as my previous Mark 4s. The MOAR reticle is really nice for banging steel as far as you want to shoot, and it seems like it would be functional if you needed to hold elevation or wind in a hunting situation, but this is a SFP scope, so the MOAR is only accurate at max power. Dialing has been perfect and repeatable so far in both scopes. NF scopes are not light weight, but they have a very strong reputation for function & reliability.