Long Range Rangefinders

I'm looking at getting into a long range rangefinder. My current Vortex Impact 850 just doesn't cut it for the shooting I want to do. I want to have reliable ranging on reflective targets out to 2000 yards and on soft targets out to 1000 yards. I hunt and shoot almost exclusively in the West. I've looked at the Vortex Razor HD 4000 and think that's the frontrunner for me, but are there others I should look at harder? I've looked at the Revic BR4 as well, but I don't know if the step up in price, even with the additional features, would be worth it over the HD 4000. I don't buy optics frequently, so whatever I go with I would likely use until it dies.

ID_Matt

WKR
What are you using for a ballistic calculator? I think it is beneficial to have something built in. Revic BR4 and Sig 8K are great for that. I use the sig 5K which has some of the onboard environmentals and applied ballistics lite. If i am shooting over 800, i connect it to my kestrel.

OP
J
What are you using for a ballistic calculator? I think it is beneficial to have something built in. Revic BR4 and Sig 8K are great for that. I use the sig 5K which has some of the onboard environmentals and applied ballistics lite. If i am shooting over 800, i connect it to my kestrel.
I'm using the Strelok app right now and essentially guessing at wind speeds. Temperature I'm just getting from my car thermometer. Very rudimentary right now, I know.

ID_Matt

WKR
Depending on your budget - might as well upgrade to something with the onboard environmentals. If you don't want to jump to the BR4 or Sig 8K. The sig 5K does well, it calculates temp and DA then runs the applied ballistics solution on the rangefinder or your phone.

Ryan2.0

FNG
I really like my Maven Rf1. Only downside is the size of it. If you can afford something with all in one environmentals that would be be the way to do it.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I have the older version of the BR4 (BR2) and it is awesome, the only issue is the size, which is rectified in the BR4. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying that guy...I probably will as the BR2 is really too bulky to use quickly. Build quality and features are amazing. I'm not familiar with the Sig lineup, but Revic definitely knows what they are doing. GunWerks were early to the LR game. That's my 2 cents. I'd buy the Revic if you can. It'd be interesting to hear from somehow who has used both. You're probably going to want to get a wind meter if you're trying to shoot 1,000+. Kestrels flat out work.

ndayton

WKR
Before I had my Sig2400abs I used a Leupold range finder paired with the Ballistic Arc app and a Weather Flow meter to get environmentals. Thats a lot of gadgets to mess with especially if you have an animal feed through an opening and you have a short window to make the shot.
Simplify the process and get a range finder that does it all. I agree that the Sig 5k is the best bang for the buck and should easily meet your ranging requirements.

OP
J
Sounds like I need to look into the Sig 5K. Or save up a bit more for that Revic.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I run Leica rangefinders and have tried several others. They’ve worked several times in in-climate weather when others wouldn’t. I used a new Sig this summer and it worked great as well. Never tried the Revic, my Vortex was junk extremely inaccurate against others, Leupolds work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Is there any benefit to using a Sig 5K in conjunction with a Kestrel (neither of which I currently own) instead of getting something like the BR4 that has the onboard environmentals?

josef

FNG
The 5K has onboard environmentals as well. The onboard ballistic solver is limited to 800 yards though.

OP
J
The 5K has onboard environmentals as well. The onboard ballistic solver is limited to 800 yards though.
Understood (I didn't relay that very clearly in my comment), and it's that 800 yard limitation that I would want to overcome with the Kestrel/Sig combo or going with the more expensive BR4.

I'm using the Strelok app right now and essentially guessing at wind speeds. Temperature I'm just getting from my car thermometer. Very rudimentary right now, I know.
I like this, getting it done making it happen, good for you! Watching those post, looking to buy the vortex razor 4000hd aswell