Long range elk hammer on a budget ??

Anyone have any ideas on a real deal hammer of Thor elk rifle on a budget , gonna run some good glass maybe that low end night force or similar , looking for a production rifle preferably lh but that's not a must as I have shot rh rifles lh forever . Any suggestions??

Shrek

WKR
Savage Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua. That said , there is nothing inexpensive about long range. Capable rangefinders and scopes are at a minimum the same cost as the rifle mentioned and feeding the beast often enough to be proficient is no small chunk of change. Getting set up for precision reloading is another big chunk of change. You're just getting started at five grand. By the time you have enough time behind the rifle you're already needing a new barrel. Over a dollar a shot in just consumable components. Of course you can get something cheaper to shoot but there is the cost of the second rig. Long range is not a poor mans game.

Shrek

WKR
I know guys who shoot strings of shots that don't get 500-600 before they are screwing on a new tube. If you baby it and keep things cool longer. I don't have a real long range hunting rig because I can't afford to do it right. Hunting is a cold bore game so you really need to know your rifle. Maybe you get a second corrected shot or maybe not. Target shooting and who cares if you are off on your first shot.

Shrek

WKR
To put in archery terms , how much practice do you need to shoot animals at 100yrds plus with a bow ? You need to range a shot someplace you have never even seen before and hit MOA of deer every time on the first shot. I know guys that can and do do that but they live behind their bow. I also know guys who go to the archery club and sling arrows at the 120 yard range and hit most of the time but not every time. To me there is the same step up between a long range rifle hunter and target shooter.

Broz

WKR
You can get well over 1000 rounds from a 338 LM. My last one was still shooting .5 moa at 1500 yards when I sold it and it had 1500 rounds. As far as I know it is still going too. But like Shreck said if you sit and shoot 10 shot strings and get it hot you can kill anything before its time.

Steakngravy, what is your idea of a long range elk shot? I have a pretty good grasp of what works well taking elk at distance. But the max distance of the shot has to be part of the equation.

Jeff

I consider five or maybe six football fields a long shot. So not sure what your idea of one is? At that range there are several calibers that come to mind.
In terms of a budget production rifle I have heard good things from the Ruger American. Maybe a Waatherby Vanguard. Tikka has some good options too.

What is your budget? I have an unfired Weatherby WeatherMark in 7mm wby, 26" barrel I would consider selling.
No need to speed huge money for a quality elk rifle set up. Unless of course we are talking fantasy land.

OP
Steakngravy
well I sort of have a start ive been reloading for years, just purchased a leica hd-b for the ballistic computer to 1000 , I currently have a sako a7 with a bell and Carlson in 300wsm, just been kicking around the idea of a 300rum or maybe 338 of some sort ,anyone have any experience with the lower end Christiansen arms that cabelas sells for 1995

OP
Steakngravy
my shot limit will be 1000 as that is as far out as my bino will give dope

coop2424

WKR
For out of the box I don't think the savage LRH 338 lapua can be beat with good glass.. My brother in law has it and I can tell you his first 6 shots of his reloads was impressive.. Not a custom and not sure if they all shoot that way but his is very accurate and will get you a long ways down field with practice and the right gear.

OP
Steakngravy
yeah that savage is on the short list . prob hard to beat for the money I have read good things about it

OP
Steakngravy
the little sako shoots lights out, I suppose I could stick a serious scope on there and see how that works , idk I may see if I can get my hands on one of those savages 338lm carries some serious energy

Broz

WKR
my shot limit will be 1000 as that is as far out as my bino will give dope

Well the 338 LM with a 300 gr Berger or SMK will do it very well and with a smaller window or errors than many smaller calibers. Nothing smaller kills elk better than a good 338. I see this over and over all season long. Watched 60+ elk go down this year. Not that smaller choices wont take elk just fine, even at 1000. But why not hit them as hard as you can? They already have a 1000 yards head start.

Jeff

WKR
If I was looking for good glass on a budget, it would be a SWFA 10x Milquad scope in good mounts. Scope would track well, has a great reticle and adequate glass. $299.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
This one packs a real punch
http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/VAUGHAN-Rawhide-Mallet-WP29163/_/N-buuZ1z0qsfn?fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5C553_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Carlin59

WKR
This one packs a real punch
http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/VAUGHAN-Rawhide-Mallet-WP29163/_/N-buuZ1z0qsfn?fromPidp=true&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5C553_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Are those G1 or G7 BCs in the product details? ;)