Long distance rangefinder WITH short distance angle compensation??

shmcleod

FNG
If you hunt out west, you know the scenario. You have a bedded bull/buck across the valley from you, and you want to make a stalk. So you start ranging landmarks to know when you're in range or not. Then you make you move. To do this, you need a rangefinder that can go out to a 1000+ yards.

But of course, you still need a rangefinder for sitting your tree stand that does short distance angle compensation.

And if you like me, you might find yourself hunting antlerless elk in the late season with a rifle and need that ballistics function for your bullets.

SO, IS THERE ONE RANGEFINDER THAT CAN DO IT ALL?

I tried a Leupold 2800 and it couldn't do short distance angle compensation. Same with a Leica 2000-b.

Advice? How far does the Leupold 1600-i RELIABLY shoot? What about the RX Full Draw? Do newer Leicas do short distance angle compensation? Vortex?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
I have the Leupold RX-1600i TBR/W. It regularly give me 1000+ yard readings off trees and grass. Not sure if that helps.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I just purchased a Maven RF1 and was out bear hunting this past week. I was reliably ranging over 1000 yards with it. It has angle compensation but I haven’t actually used it bow hunting yet. Although when I was at the archery range last week, it seemed to be be ranging all the 3D targets accurately. So far I am really impressed with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a Sig Kilo 2000 for 3 years and have been very happy with it. I think my furthest range on a rock was 1600 yds.

This. Will angle compensate down to 20 yds I believe.
Correct.
I use it for treestand hunting whitetails and just hunted Turkey 21 days with it.
I ranged deer at 2275 yards in a field with it.
Angle compensation worked on it out to a mile or more if I recall.
It's a fantastic piece of gear.
It does not have the ballistic stuff but I believe the 2700 or 2800 has that.
I replaced a crf 900 with the 2400 just for the angle comp on the 2400.
Doug at cameraland made me a deal I had to take. Would buy again.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R
  • Eye-Safe IR Laser
  • 10-2400 Yard Measurement Range
  • 0.1-Yard Readings for First 200 Yards
  • Scan Mode Measurements Every 0.5 Seconds
Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.COM
  • Integrated Bluetooth Connectivity
  • 10-2800 Yard Measurement Range
  • Works with Android/iOS Leica Hunting App
  • Compatible with Kestrel 5700 Elite Meter

Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.COM
  • 10-3500 Yard Measurement Range
  • Upload Ballistic Profiles via Bluetooth
  • 0.3-Second Measuring Time
  • Works with Kestrel Elite & Apple Watch
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

HuntnPack

WKR
Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.com
Will range 10-2800.
I use mine for LR rifle with onboard ballistics out to 1000, & Archery as close as 20 yds.

Last edited:

6.5x284

WKR
I run the Sig Kilo 2400. Amazing for long range, and I run it in archery as well. Forget the min reading but under 10 yards. Glass has a tint to it compared to the Leica’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

FNG
So, I ended up getting a Leica 2400. It has amazing glass quality and amazing range... but it has one fatal flaw that archers should know about, along with all other Leicas. There is a THREE SECOND delay between the true distance and the angle compensate difference. If you are tree stand hunting or long distance hunting, this doesn't matter. But if you are archery hunting from the ground, and have a split second, it can cost you an animal. This is what would have happened to me opening day this year if my buddy hadn't of been standing right next to me. We had 5 bucks come in, moving fast, and I tried to range. as I was waiting for the angle adjustment, my buddy whispered the range and i immediately dropped my Leica to adjust my pin. I got the animal, but had I been alone, the animal would have been gone before the Leica would have given me the adjusted range, and it would have ended in frustration. Just an FYI to the rest of you!