Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed, 7 PRC Field Evaluation

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This is Field Evaluation of the Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed in 7 PRC. This rifle was sent to RS to be evaluated. Browning is aware of the other Field Evaluations and that is what they wanted. This will be a long term/high use annd round count evaluation. Browning wanted this rifle to be evaled in 7 PRC.
The ammo so far is Hornady- a mix of 160gr CX, 180gr ELD-M, and 175gr ELD-X factory ammo.

You can see the specs and info here-

The base version is that this model has a specific anti bind bolt, adjustable comb, LOP, and swappable grips. The barrel is 24” and threaded.

First, the action screws had some version of thread locker on them from the factory, and were torqued appropriately-
IMG_8313.jpeg

Second, there are no 1 piece pic rails available for the X-Bolt 2 LA action yet. A two piece for an X-Bolt works-
IMG_8319.jpeg

Thought this was interesting given recent threads-
IMG_8320.jpeg

IMG_8321.jpeg

Mounted the March 1.5-15x as a temporary optic to get shooting some.

Hornady Outfitter ammunition with 160gr CX bullet shot very poorly- around 5 MOA at 100 yards.
IMG_8400.jpeg

This is not the first time I have seen this, so it caused no real concern.

Next was 180gr ELD-M match which shot just fine at just under 1.5 MOA for ten shots.

IMG_8399.jpeg

A bit more shooting was done, without issue. Feed, fire, and function were all correct without drama. The barrel is freefloated acceptably (though too long for me at 24”) the trigger is fine at the factory setting (3.5’ish lbs), the magazine works correctly, etc. So far, no drama.

IMG_8401.jpeg

Update April 26th-

Swapped scopes to a Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x

FFP.

Also hogged out the barrel channel as it was too close on the left side.

Before-
IMG_8405.jpeg

After-
IMG_8440.jpeg

IMG_8441.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Outfitter 160gr still shoots poorly- 2 shots 4 inches apart.

Also, hot-
IMG_8421.jpeg

Chrono data, 24” barrel:

180gr ELD-M. Average 2,776fps MV-
IMG_8425.jpeg

175gr ELD-X. Average 2,818fps MV-
IMG_8442.jpeg

Factory 175gr ELD-X, 1.5moa for 10 rounds.
IMG_8443.jpeg

Funtion at 60 rounds:

Zero issues. Bolt near same/same as Tikka in regards to not binding at all. Trigger is fine, mag is good.

IMG_8433.jpeg

Last edited:

Darryle

WKR
Does it appear to have a pinned recoil lug? The action above the stock lines looks very similar to the Target action Browning introduced a few years ago. Did you notice two screws in front of the trigger like on the DLX trigger in their target models? Did you weigh the stock by itself? Weight of the barreled action?

If they are using the target action for the basis of the X-Bolt 2, I will be swapping out some rifles once someone makes a carbon stock to get rid of that abomination Browning designed.

I don’t see a need for a full length rail, those bases with 4 screws each look great, although inclination would be good if it was an option

I like that people can no get this rifle with adjustable cheek and grip.

Browning should produce spacers with variable height so we could do a spacer swap and get that buttpad up

I know a browning fan that I would love to get into a rifle that’s back end actually worked for them.

Aside, browning “people” have to be the most brand loyal of any product on the face of the planet.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Does it appear to have a pinned recoil lug? The action above the stock lines looks very similar to the Target action Browning introduced a few years ago. Did you notice two screws in front of the trigger like on the DLX trigger in their target models? Did you weigh the stock by itself? Weight of the barreled action?

If they are using the target action for the basis of the X-Bolt 2, I will be swapping out some rifles once someone makes a carbon stock to get rid of that abomination Browning designed.

I’ll look if I take it apart again.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I like that people can no get this rifle with adjustable cheek and grip.

Browning should produce spacers with variable height so we could do a spacer swap and get that buttpad up

Agreed. It is a pretty decent stock for factory plastic though.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don’t see a need for a full length rail, those bases with 4 screws each look great, although inclination would be good if it was an option

The issue is scope placement. With short tubes scopes that are common now, it is nigh impossible to get them far enough to the rear to use. The scope in the picture is a full 1” too far forward.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I doped a 300 win xbolt and was impressed for a factory plastic stock, glad to see they continue to make it better.

Hope it doesn’t turn into a sticky tacky mess like the older ones with whatever that touch stuff they used was

Oh yeah. It’s not Dura Touch on this one.

nobody

WKR
Excited to see how this one goes. Objectively, my favorite rifle I ever owned was an X Bolt Western Hunter that was the last “non-tikka” I owned. Lots that I loved about it, so I’m anxious to see the outcome.

When I saw this one in an ad awhile back I looked up the changes from the first xbolt and it almost seems they're targeting Tikka with the improvements. Grip, antibind bolt, there was some type of trigger improvement...

Following this. I've always liked the X-bolt.

Speaking of the old Duratouch coating, I've had two guns with it. An A5 Stalker and an X-bolt Stainless Stalker. Y'all have to admit, it's super nice when it's new! But yeah, Browning had to replace my A5 stock.