Lobo Outfitters

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting to narrow down options for a 2025 Elk hunt. One Outfitter that I am considering is Lobo Outfitters in Pagosa Springs, CO area.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks!

holder171

FNG
I’m actually headed there as we speak for an elk hunt. I’ll get back to you soon….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Novahunter

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m actually headed there as we speak for an elk hunt. I’ll get back to you soon….

Good luck! They posted a nice elk on Saturday on their facebook page.

holder171

FNG
Just got back from hunting with them for 5 days. I'll try to give you a detailed rundown and if I don't mention something that you're curious about feel free to message me.
We got there on the afternoon of the 10th and go settled in. They have a couple nice little bunk houses that were well kept. They have a shooting range right out back to check and make sure you're rifle is sighted in. We came from Iowa and I didn't realize the elevation would change my point of impact as much as it did (was shooting a couple inches high).
Over the next 5 days we hunted on 3 different properties. I enjoyed two of them but didn't really care for the third at all. We saw elk on all the properties except for the one I didn't care for. One of the spots we hunted numerous times had a ton of elk on it. Multiple times we saw a group of probably 75 elk or so. This was my dad and my first elk hunt so trophy goals weren't very high. The cow to bull ratio was pretty far off; I would say in that group of 75 we saw 2-3 legal bulls to shoot. On the third day the guide and me stalked a bull and got to within 150 yards at last light but couldn't positively say if it was legal or not so I passed on the shot. On the last evening my dad got a shot off but missed. Those were the only shot opportunities we really had. Out of the 6 of us in camp there was 1 elk shot and 3 mule deer (my dad and me weren't going after muleys).
I thought our guide was great! He was knowledgeable and was willing to try anything to get a bull on the ground for us. Like what was said above Mike and Dick Ray seem like great people. Dick had some fantastic stories! We were cooked 3 meals every day and every one of those was fantastic!
Even though neither my dad or me got a bull we still had a great time and met some great people. I can't speak on the trophy potential here, but I can say there was plenty of elk on these properties. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a message.

And that is why it is called Elk hunting not shooting. When you book an outfitted hunt you got good lodging, great food and great effort from your guides. Unfortunately you can't always get cooperative Elk..that is why they are so much fun to hunt and so challenging. You appear to have embraced the spirit of Elk hunting which doesn't always result in punching a tag.

holder171

FNG
100% it was a blast and I don’t regret paying for the guide service one bit! I’m from Iowa so I wanted to go with someone experienced to learn as much as I can so next time I go I can try it on my own. The knowledge picked up plus the new friendships, great food, stories, lodging, and overall adventure made it well worth the money even without the elk.

OP
Novahunter

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
100% it was a blast and I don’t regret paying for the guide service one bit! I’m from Iowa so I wanted to go with someone experienced to learn as much as I can so next time I go I can try it on my own. The knowledge picked up plus the new friendships, great food, stories, lodging, and overall adventure made it well worth the money even without the elk.

Glad to hear. I'm definitely considering there outfit

I have used Guided hunts for 25 plust years. Mostly great experiences. This season in Colorado we stayed at a great lodge, great food, really hard working good guides but the elk weren't cooperating. I was lucky to have
a cow insurance tag and shot a cow. My other buddy shot a Bull but we went 2 for 8 tags. In the end we
all agreed it was a good week because we really enjoyed the company of our hosts and had some great laughs.
Far rather have that than stay in a bad camp with bad food and below average guides but get an elk.

Just got back from hunting with them for 5 days. I'll try to give you a detailed rundown and if I don't mention something that you're curious about feel free to message me.

Hey Holder, I'm too new on the forum to DM, but am considering a hunt with Lobo as well. Did you hunt New Mexico or Colorado with them? Thank you

Sako76

WKR
About 20 years ago my father got a bad load of gas in his new Jeep while we were going deer hunting in New York. We limped into the Unknown Jeep dealer in Honesdale, PA to try and address the issue. The owner of the dealership (Gary Schwartz) had a pretty big bull elk mounted in his office. When we asked him who he went with he said Lobo Outfitters and it was a fantastic hunt!