2025 Montana Elk Outfitters & Guides Recommendations

Bradverbs

FNG
Ok, I'll bite.

I have no personal knowledge of either operation, but as a Montanan, I'll say this:

Anchor Outfitters LLC's website says they hunt the Crazy Mountains, and in looking at the photos, probably on private land at least some of the time. Right now, the Crazies are one of the parts of the state that is over objective with elk numbers, and there are significant access issues for public land hunters. That is a very good thing, as many pieces of landlocked public are essentially private land for all intents and purposes.

IMO, one of the first steps in picking a good outfitter is picking a good hunt area. Contrast this with the hunts in places like the Bob Marshall Wilderness or the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, where you are already behind the 8-ball when you start out, despite any skill of the outfitter, due to very low game numbers.

Hidden Valley Outfitters website just says they hunt the "Helena-Lewis & Clark National Forest Lands as well as some bordering private ranches." The mountain range is not mentioned.

To me, that sounds like you're going to be on public land mostly. That is not necessarily a bad thing, and they have a lot of dead bull pictures on their website, but do you really want to roll up to a trailhead and find 5 vehicles there already? That is a part of hunting public land, but I'm not sure I would pay an outfitter for it, especially when there are other options. I would investigate further and maybe talk to past-season hunters if you can get their contact info (you should do that for any hunt).

One other option - AND I AM NOT VOUCHING FOR THIS OUTFITTER - is Hammer 'Em Outfitters in the Big Belt Mountains. The only reason I am mentioning them is that Bob Hammer was a former game warden in Central MT, and even after he retired from the State, he was willing to have a 30 minute phone conversation with me about a unit I was applying to. I thought that spoke volumes about his character. They also run their outfitting business on the Galt Ranch, which in MT is pretty much synonymous with lots of elk. But, I have not gone on a hunt with them or talked to anyone who has, so take it with a grain of salt.

Do you own research. Hope this helps and have a good hunt.
I’ve never thought about picking an outfitter based on location before but that’s really great advice

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I'll bite.

I have no personal knowledge of either operation, but as a Montanan, I'll say this:

Anchor Outfitters LLC's website says they hunt the Crazy Mountains, and in looking at the photos, probably on private land at least some of the time. Right now, the Crazies are one of the parts of the state that is over objective with elk numbers, and there are significant access issues for public land hunters. That is a very good thing, as many pieces of landlocked public are essentially private land for all intents and purposes.

IMO, one of the first steps in picking a good outfitter is picking a good hunt area. Contrast this with the hunts in places like the Bob Marshall Wilderness or the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, where you are already behind the 8-ball when you start out, despite any skill of the outfitter, due to very low game numbers.

Hidden Valley Outfitters website just says they hunt the "Helena-Lewis & Clark National Forest Lands as well as some bordering private ranches." The mountain range is not mentioned.

To me, that sounds like you're going to be on public land mostly. That is not necessarily a bad thing, and they have a lot of dead bull pictures on their website, but do you really want to roll up to a trailhead and find 5 vehicles there already? That is a part of hunting public land, but I'm not sure I would pay an outfitter for it, especially when there are other options. I would investigate further and maybe talk to past-season hunters if you can get their contact info (you should do that for any hunt).

One other option - AND I AM NOT VOUCHING FOR THIS OUTFITTER - is Hammer 'Em Outfitters in the Big Belt Mountains. The only reason I am mentioning them is that Bob Hammer was a former game warden in Central MT, and even after he retired from the State, he was willing to have a 30 minute phone conversation with me about a unit I was applying to. I thought that spoke volumes about his character. They also run their outfitting business on the Galt Ranch, which in MT is pretty much synonymous with lots of elk. But, I have not gone on a hunt with them or talked to anyone who has, so take it with a grain of salt.

Do you own research. Hope this helps and have a good hunt.
I had some friends that hunted the Galt ranch. They shot some big bulls in archery. If I ever had the opportunity I'd do it. Also a native Montanan here.