Llamas in Griz country

Set to pick up my first two llamas next spring. I live in SW MT. Where I live and hunt are prime bear country. What precautions should I be aware of on the trail and at camp with llamas?

jolemons

WKR
Interesting question, I'll be following. I'm also in your area, so curious what opinions exist. I think I'd want to use electric fence in areas with a lot of sheep grazing and depredation issues, ie Gravelly Range.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I've rented llamas a few times. The last time I rented them, I used that guy in Bozeman and went into the Lee Metcalf for a week. No issues. Make sure the screw in stakes that you use to to keep the llama in camp are well secured. On a prior trip I had one come loose and the llama wondered off. He got farther away from camp before getting tangled up than you might think and I was in panic mode the whole time until I found him again.

I did have a moose come walking through camp in the Lee with the llamas - they didn't like that - made weird noises - but that's about it. I do keep the llamas kind of close to camp so human scent is as heavy as possible while I'm out hunting. I understand your concern - which is good - but I'd say just be bear aware, hang your food and go have fun.

keep the llamas close to one another, I keep mine in a circle if I can when im gone from camp, they will position themselves accordingly. I have a bear fence but have never used it and down carry it any longer either, Ido keep the llamas close at night, so I can hear them as well, more to hear if they get tangled rather than for protection, they will alert you with alarm call. had a bear under my food last year, llamas had him pegged, and he was out of their before I could get out of the tent.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure of anything llama specific but we came back to camp last year in WY and something had broken down our electric fence.

Next morning some other horse folks shared a pic of a grizzly we never saw not far from our camp. Did he scare the horses and they broke the fence? Did he come up and investigate and got shocked and broke it? Did the horses just randomly back into it, then spook and break it? Dunno but I keep them in a pasture with an electric fence year round and they respect it very much.

My guess is IF it was the nearby grizzly that came up to investigate they would have been a lot more vulnerable if they had been highlined. I have used both methods but I think the fence both protects them some and gives them freedom of movement to defend themselves or flee.