Lip Bawl?

Jason277

WKR
This is a question for archery /muzzle loader hunters. How often do you use a lip bawl call and do they seem to fire the bull up more ? The reason I ask is I’m struggling to get the call sounding decent. Thanks Jason

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Every scenario is different. To many variables and factors to tell you when to use it. Honestly YouTube is your best friend with that type of question, and their are so many videos that will break them down and help you understand better.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Every scenario is different. To many variables and factors to tell you when to use it. Honestly YouTube is your best friend with that type of question, and their are so many videos that will break them down and help you understand better.
Yes, I've been trying to figure out how to at least not sound like a dumpster fire, I have the Elk Nut app to help with the situations where it would be used. Hey, Nice to see another Wa guy on here! I got my first elk last year with chuckles, raking, and aggressive bugling

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I've been trying to figure out how to at least not sound like a dumpster fire, I have the Elk Nut app to help with the situations where it would be used. Hey, Nice to see another Wa guy on here! I got my first elk last year with chuckles, raking, and aggressive bugling
Lip bawl is a tough one, but once you figure it out and it clicks its easy after that. Trying other reeds will help also. Everyone is different and what works for me doesn't work for another. And congrats on the bull! In my experience if you can kill a otc bull in Washington you can kill a bull anywhere and will be amazed how much easier it can be in other states. Sad to say I don't in WA unless I draw a tag.

ElkNut1

WKR
Jason, great looking elk! To your question Lip Bawls are not a vital sound that needs to be mastered. Work on it as you have time & it will come to you! Make sure you have a good tight single reed for your best results.

There are other bull sounds that can represent the same message as a Lip Bawl, you'll see that as you go over all the elk sounds on the App. Are you covering the video I share on the App on how to make the Lip Bawl with a reed & bugle tube? I'm very detailed on it, do it exactly as I share on the video. Again, a newer reed in good shape is vital!

P.S. years can go by where I do not use the Lip Bawl, it's situational, don't be too concerned with it at present.

ElkNut

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Jason, great looking elk! To your question Lip Bawls are not a vital sound that needs to be mastered. Work on it as you have time & it will come to you! Make sure you have a good tight single reed for your best results.

There are other bull sounds that can represent the same message as a Lip Bawl, you'll see that as you go over all the elk sounds on the App. Are you covering the video I share on the App on how to make the Lip Bawl with a reed & bugle tube? I'm very detailed on it, do it exactly as I share on the video. Again, a newer reed in good shape is vital!

P.S. years can go by where I do not use the Lip Bawl, it's situational, don't be too concerned with it at present.

ElkNut
Yes! I have been using the App a ton and I’ve definitely been watching the video about the lip bawl . I have a hard time keeping the high pitch sound when I buzz my lips , I think it changes the way the my tongue/ air goes across the reed. I’ll just keep trying to nail it down. Definitely one of the harder calls to make in my opinion. Thank you for all the great content and all the advice you give to newer hunters like myself! Jason

ElkNut1

WKR
Jason, take into consideration it can take a couple of weeks of a few minutes a day practice to achieve some elk sounds. Don't rush it but be persistent in daily practice. It's all part of the process!

ElkNut

IdahoElk

WKR
Elk Nut is the man and is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to calling Elk, if I may add that in my experience with lip bawling it's cool to both hear and produce the sound but I've called in more Elk not using it but instead trying to sound just a hair less aggressive and in fact go past him and bugle to the cows.
At a distance I'll get into a pissing match with a bull but when I get close and he's lip bawling with cows in the area I'll act like a smaller bull and start talking to the cows almost as if I'm trying to steal his girls while ignoring his threats which usually irritates the heck out of them and gets them to leave the cows to confront the punk(me) that doesn't even acknowledge him.
There is no set in stone answer to Elk calling and every bull reacts differently, I've just had more luck tricking bulls this way than going toe to toe intensity wise when they are lip bawling with cows in tow.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Jason, take into consideration it can take a couple of weeks of a few minutes a day practice to achieve some elk sounds. Don't rush it but be persistent in daily practice. It's all part of the process!

ElkNut
I try to work on it on my way home from work, I get some funny looks on a four-lane highway with bugle tube. Ha!

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Elk Nut is the man and is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to calling Elk, if I may add that in my experience with lip bawling it's cool to both hear and produce the sound but I've called in more Elk not using it but instead trying to sound just a hair less aggressive and in fact go past him and bugle to the cows.
At a distance I'll get into a pissing match with a bull but when I get close and he's lip bawling with cows in the area I'll act like a smaller bull and start talking to the cows almost as if I'm trying to steal his girls while ignoring his threats which usually irritates the heck out of them and gets them to leave the cows to confront the punk(me) that doesn't even acknowledge him.
There is no set in stone answer to Elk calling and every bull reacts differently, I've just had more luck tricking bulls this way than going toe to toe intensity wise when they are lip bawling with cows in tow.
I definitely agree with the use of the lip bawl. I just want to get a better handle on the call to have it as an option.

Marble

WKR
I try to work on it on my way home from work, I get some funny looks on a four-lane highway with bugle tube. Ha!
My daughter's and wife hate August because I carry my bugle tube around and practice. The best is doing with the windows down at a stop light.

One of these days I'll get a response from a bull..I hope.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

bow_hiker

FNG
The only time I have had that call work for me was when I got between the bull and a couple of his stray cows. Then it worked like no other call would have. It took a lot of work to get ok at it but I am no where near mastering it. But I've only had it work once.

ElkNut1

WKR
Jason, I think I see your issue! As a newer caller & trying to imitate a lip bawl while driving is nearly an impossibility. Wait until you're home or place you can really focus on reed control & sound as shown on the video. That sound will require all your concentration until you have it down.

The Lip Bawl is a good sound/bugle to nail down. As in any cow or bull sound timing is a factor in their use. Every sound can send a message or tell you what they're feeling or doing, it's just a part of calling elk. The more you understand them the more confident & successful in call ins you will be.

ElkNut

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Jason, I think I see your issue! As a newer caller & trying to imitate a lip bawl while driving is nearly an impossibility. Wait until you're home or place you can really focus on reed control & sound as shown on the video. That sound will require all your concentration until you have it down.

The Lip Bawl is a good sound/bugle to nail down. As in any cow or bull sound timing is a factor in their use. Every sound can send a message or tell you what they're feeling or doing, it's just a part of calling elk. The more you understand them the more confident & successful in call ins you will be.

ElkNut
Yeah, I definitely have to practice somewhere besides the car, There is a section of my commute where Im literally sitting in traffic for 15-20 mins that's when I practice. Its pretty Loud in the car even with the windows down! Ha!

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I really like a lip bawl in the middle of a "bull calling cows" bugle. A call that is short in duration - growling to shrill to start, lip bawl in the middle, and a short high pitch burst at the end. Shorter than a typical location bugle. Joel Turner did a video on it several years ago. Here you go, minute mark 8:30.

It's definitely my best producer when a bull has cows and I am in tight on them. It's very effective. I'd say like 75% effective for me. I am above a "dumpster fire" level of execution though, lol. That comment above was funny.