Lightweight Tikka t3x stock (peak 44, stockysstock, wildcat)

Looking for some info on a few stocks I have narrowed my search down to. This will be going on a tikka t3x superlite hunting rifle and the gun doesn't get taken past 600 yards on the range. I have a hard stop at 400 yards for hunting purposes. All of these stocks are around 20 oz and yes I know there are other threads but there is not much info on stockys and how it compares.

Options
1. Peak 44 Blacktooth
2. Stockystock ultra carbon hunter
3. Wildcat stock (I am Canadian)

I've read good reviews on the peak 44 and wildcat stocks but I cannot find much on stockys, With the recent price jump on wildcats I'm not seeing much benefit to save a bit more $$ and not get the carbon fiber, but could be swayed back to wildcat.

Thanks in advance.

Overwire

FNG
Once painted and bedded the wildcat is about 4.5oz lighter than the factory stock. Mine finished about 23oz with a limbsaver airtech using 2 screws and glue to install. The stock has been fine but it is just a replica of the factory geometry so the only benefit is the 4.5oz. I haven’t tried the others but they appear to possibly provide some performance benefits other than weight. The RokStok looks like the best performance option but won’t save any weight over factory. The echelon looks interesting to cut weight and add performance.

schmalzy

WKR
I like my stockys hunter. Needs some fitting and tinkering but for the cost and weight I’m very pleased. I got the plain carbon one and finished it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Echelon.

I put a Stockys on mine, and I’m really happy with it. They have sales often enough to really bring the price down.

ElPollo

WKR
The carbon hunter and the wildcat both have basically the same ergos as the factory stock, but coming in lighter. Both will have significant muzzle rise due to the low comb and both have long trigger reaches. The Stocky’s VG Hunter has a higher comb to reduce muzzle rise, make spotting your shots easier, and give you a better alignment with your scope, but it also has a long trigger reach (which is fixable). The vertical grip Peak 44 stock looks similar, but I haven’t used one. The Peak 44 Blacktooth is sort of in the middle between the carbon hunter and the VG hunter. It has a negative comb that helps with felt recoil transferring into your cheek, and a shorter trigger reach, but the comb is too low to get much benefit in controlling muzzle rise. If you are wanting a traditional stock, the Blacktooth is one of the better ones, but the construction won’t handle the higher torque on the action bolts that you can get with the factory stock or the Stocky’s. Both Peak stocks require bedding, while the Stocky’s don’t. And finally, I haven’t held one yet, but the Rokstok looks like it has a lot of ergonomic benefits of you are willing to consider something non-traditional.

But the last thing I’ll say here is that caliber and recoil matters for stock design. If you are shooting a bigger caliber with more recoil, a traditional light-weight, low-comb, long trigger reach stock is going to be a lot harder to shoot accurately than one in a smaller, softer recoiling cartridge and spotting your own shots will be pretty much off the table.

OP
V
The carbon hunter and the wildcat both have basically the same ergos as the factory stock, but coming in lighter. Both will have significant muzzle rise due to the low comb and both have long trigger reaches. The Stocky’s VG Hunter has a higher comb to reduce muzzle rise, make spotting your shots easier, and give you a better alignment with your scope, but it also has a long trigger reach (which is fixable). The vertical grip Peak 44 stock looks similar, but I haven’t used one. The Peak 44 Blacktooth is sort of in the middle between the carbon hunter and the VG hunter. It has a negative comb that helps with felt recoil transferring into your cheek, and a shorter trigger reach, but the comb is too low to get much benefit in controlling muzzle rise. If you are wanting a traditional stock, the Blacktooth is one of the better ones, but the construction won’t handle the higher torque on the action bolts that you can get with the factory stock or the Stocky’s. Both Peak stocks require bedding, while the Stocky’s don’t. And finally, I haven’t held one yet, but the Rokstok looks like it has a lot of ergonomic benefits of you are willing to consider something non-traditional.

But the last thing I’ll say here is that caliber and recoil matters for stock design. If you are shooting a bigger caliber with more recoil, a traditional light-weight, low-comb, long trigger reach stock is going to be a lot harder to shoot accurately than one in a smaller, softer recoiling cartridge and spotting your own shots will be pretty much off the table.
I appreciate this info, not familiar with the rokstok… I’ll have to check that out. And I shoot a 300 wsm so it is a heavier recoiling gun. I don’t mind the recoil as is, currently sits at 6lbs not scope with the crappy tikka stock and a limb saver recoil pad. I will highlight it’s NOT my target gun, just for hunting. I usually shoot 20-50 rounds per range session. Obviously still important to spot your shot but not my top priority as most of my shots are within 200. I prefer the traditional sporter stocks for hunting due to the variety of positions I shoot in. Vertical grip is the best for me at the range. Put one on a 6.5prc and disliked it as a hunting stock, love it at the range. I’ve been able to put hands on the peak 44 due to it being on weatherbys backcountry but none of the others. I do feel the peak 44 would probably be the biggest improvement for the gun but not sure after you saying the torque specs.

OP
V
If this wasn’t only a hunting gun I’d be more curious about it but I do not like vertical grips for hunting, just my preference. I have tried them and they are fantastic for range sessions but I didn’t like handling it in a hunting scenario

OP
V
I like my stockys hunter. Needs some fitting and tinkering but for the cost and weight I’m very pleased. I got the plain carbon one and finished it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you notice reduction in felt recoil

OP
V
Once painted and bedded the wildcat is about 4.5oz lighter than the factory stock. Mine finished about 23oz with a limbsaver airtech using 2 screws and glue to install. The stock has been fine but it is just a replica of the factory geometry so the only benefit is the 4.5oz. I haven’t tried the others but they appear to possibly provide some performance benefits other than weight. The RokStok looks like the best performance option but won’t save any weight over factory. The echelon looks interesting to cut weight and add performance.
That’s kinda what I thought when looking at it, other then weight I don’t know how much benefit they provide

Could try the try replacing your factory grip with the tikka vertical grip accessory and adding a victor cheek piece and it will improve the ergonomics of the factory stock considerably. Worth a shot for like $40.

OP
V
Could try the try replacing your factory grip with the tikka vertical grip accessory and adding a victor cheek piece and it will improve the ergonomics of the factory stock considerably. Worth a shot for like $40.
I do have vertical grips for range guns but for me I used a vertical grip one hunting season and did not like it at all, just wasn’t comfortable in most scenarios I shoot. When prone or on a bench vertical grip is 100% my favourite. This is only a hunting gun which was why I was looking at the ones I listed. I don’t hate the tikka stock but I’d like to drop a few ounces and if possible improve/keep the same felt recoil. I also don’t love plastic stocks which is why I was hoping to upgrade.

ElPollo

WKR
I appreciate this info, not familiar with the rokstok… I’ll have to check that out. And I shoot a 300 wsm so it is a heavier recoiling gun. I don’t mind the recoil as is, currently sits at 6lbs not scope with the crappy tikka stock and a limb saver recoil pad. I will highlight it’s NOT my target gun, just for hunting. I usually shoot 20-50 rounds per range session. Obviously still important to spot your shot but not my top priority as most of my shots are within 200. I prefer the traditional sporter stocks for hunting due to the variety of positions I shoot in. Vertical grip is the best for me at the range. Put one on a 6.5prc and disliked it as a hunting stock, love it at the range. I’ve been able to put hands on the peak 44 due to it being on weatherbys backcountry but none of the others. I do feel the peak 44 would probably be the biggest improvement for the gun but not sure after you saying the torque specs.
I owned a Tikka in 300 WSM and sold it over the winter. It had a lot of back-end snort due to being a light gun with a low comb, even suppressed. I wouldn’t want to make it lighter without a stock that significantly improved the ergos.

The torque specs for the action bolts on the Peak 44 stocks are 55 inch pounds. I use 65 on my Tikkas with the factory stock and on one with a VG hunter. The gun with the VG hunter is 7.8# with a 19 oz scope mounted. My general feeling is that the Stocky’s have a thicker and stiffer carbon outer shell for a similar weight of the stock. The Peak stock is still a really good stock. I still have one on a Howa 1500. I just prefer the Stocky’s a bit over it.