Lightweight tent that doesn't use trekking poles

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
So I ended up getting the X-Mid 2 solid based on the recommendations, price, and capability to stretch into later seasons. I've set it up twice and it couldn't be easier. I want to thank everyone for the input and feedback as it helped in my decision. Like I had said, I started a thread based on not wanting a trekking pole tent and got such great information here and through DM's that I ended up with one. My buddies got the Kuiu mountain start 2 so curious to compare their setup during out hunt. I may give a review on here after my trip to hopefully help others with my experience.

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I have an REI Flash Air 2 that’s super lightweight and packable and can use either it’s own pole system or trekking poles. I really like it for the room and air flow. Recently took it on an Idaho bear hunt and had a bit of condensation, but nothing crazy. It got down to 28* and had frost on the outside of the tent when I woke up, so I was expecting it. So far it’s been a great setup.

Aplonsky

FNG
I was on a 7 day traverse in the high Sierra's last summer and my buddy had a Moment- he really liked it and it did really well on a couple of high wind nights.

If you want more room look at their Stratospire (you can get poles from them vs using trekking poles)

I have the Stratospire Li and would highly recommend. They're bombproof - mine's been through some brutal above treeline storms without any issues. Very light, comfortable for two people and large enough vestibules for packs on both sides.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looked at the Freelite. I was really hoping it was going to be a two pole crossed design; a design that has proven out for close to 50 years. Looking at the design of the Freelite,if they went to a two pole cross it might add 3-5 oz to the weight.

I'd buy one :)

BBob

WKR
was really hoping it was going to be a two pole crossed design; a design that has proven out for close to 50 years.
Totally agree. That single pole over the top and down to the foot design doesn’t do well in bad weather. Owned a few and not again.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had one of their recent four season tents with a similar pole setup, but it was doubled on both ends (like a big Y). More futzy to set up and imho not as strong as the “old fashion” dual cross poles.

BBob

WKR
^^^^ I still have a Bibler I-Tent. A bit heavy but bomber! I don’t pack it anywhere anymore but still use it if the weather is going to be bad or really cold.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm convinced that manufacturers today could easily draw up a lightweight version of a two pole-cross design and be at 2-2.5 ish lbs. With DCF, even lighter yet.

There was an outfit in Japan that built a single wall (DCF w/ an eVent membrane), but they could no longer source the fabric so quit making it. My buddy has one and he offered to sell it to me, I didn't jump on it and he changed his mind and kept it :)

BBob

WKR
There was an outfit in Japan that built a single wall (DCF w/ an eVent membrane), but they could no longer source the fabric so quit making it.
Was that Locus Gear? I was super close a few times buying one but covid hit and ended that. I haven’t looked back lately.

Edit: It’s still discontinued due to no fabric. Was a very cool tent.

Edit: Locus still offers one. Basically an I-Tent design at 33oz or so. Add the mesh for the door and it’s 35ish

IMG_0852.png

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup that's the one :)

My buddy's

VVhHxAD.jpg

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
River Country Products Trekker Tent 2, Trekking Pole Tent, Ultralight Backpacking Tent
https://a.co/d/fFI9Bc4. I just got back from a bear hunt using this tent. It was pretty awesome for the price. I just tied the ends to a couple of trees instead of using my trekking poles. I did seal the seams and spray it down with waterproofing spray prior to taking it hunting. Can’t complain, easy and cheap.

I'm convinced that manufacturers today could easily draw up a lightweight version of a two pole-cross design and be at 2-2.5 ish lbs. With DCF, even lighter yet.

There was an outfit in Japan that built a single wall (DCF w/ an eVent membrane), but they could no longer source the fabric so quit making it. My buddy has one and he offered to sell it to me, I didn't jump on it and he changed his mind and kept it :)
Get ready for the sticker shock of your life but these guys make something similar as well. Light, bomber, breathable.

Amand

FNG
I have the BA copper spur and pretty happy with it. I like the option of leaving the tent setup and still having poles for the days hunt but that xmid is definitely tempting

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get ready for the sticker shock of your life but these guys make something similar as well. Light, bomber, breathable.

Wow- nice looking tent :) I'm afraid my darling wife would kill me if I were to order one :ROFLMAO: