Lightweight sun hoodie recommendations

WKR
I'm looking for the lightweight, blaze orange sun hoodie that will have the least amount of stink after a week long backpack hunting trip. Got any recommendations? The best-sounding option I've come up with so far is Orvis' drirelease hoodie.

I'm not aware of another option that fits the bill. I haven't tried the Orvis though; I suspect the poly/cotton blend will stink pretty bad after a couple of days, despite whatever they add to it to prevent that. This is true of most clothing with some kind of built in stink protection - it just doesn't work.

The lack of blaze orange options, throughout a layering system, is becoming a real pet peeve of mine. I want a quarter zip merino hoodie, full zip fleece (like the Peloton 240), quiet puffy, and extra super duper lightweight rain jacket, all in blaze orange.

Reactions: 9.1
Icebreaker has a merino hoody in blaze. Outdoor research echo hoody comes in orange. patagonia makes an R1 flleece in orange. there are a lot of mountaineering-style shell jackets in orange. The only orange puffy that I am aware of is a mountain hardwear direct north jacket (windstopper and down); this is discontinued and hard to find.

Freefly apparel has a orangish hoodie. I have one and its not merino good at not picking up odors but the bamboo does alright.

Freefly apparel has a orangish hoodie. I have one and its not merino good at not picking up odors but the bamboo does alright.
I looked at that one, but I don't think a game warden is going to agree that the "tropic orange" meets hunting regs where fluorescent/blaze is required.

I haven't seen what I've been looking for one as well. I wanted something similar to those Sitka core lightweight hoodie. I ran into someone who was using an OR sun shirt that is almost identical but alas no blaze orange ( hell i will take pink i don't care just keep me from getting cooked) Saucony used to make blaze orange and i was using those for a while but they stopped that color.

Seems like in past couple of years all of the blaze orange that could have been used for crossover to hunting has gotten stopped. That and the kuiu boonie or sitka sun hat in blaze orange are on my wish list.

Patagonia nano air comes in a pretty close to blaze color.

Edit: I just realized this doesn’t help the OP at all.

I'm looking for the lightweight, blaze orange sun hoodie that will have the least amount of stink after a week long backpack hunting trip. Got any recommendations? The best-sounding option I've come up with so far is Orvis' drirelease hoodie.
I think your best bet is to shop fishing brands like Huk.

It sounds like I'm going to have to try the Orvis one or one of the cheap 100% polyester ones off Amazon and washing and drying it overnight if it starts smelling too bad.

It sounds like I'm going to have to try the Orvis one or one of the cheap 100% polyester ones off Amazon and washing and drying it overnight if it starts smelling too bad.
Don’t get the dri release unless you want to sweat. It’s too hot as a sun hoody, but I love mine in fall and spring as a lightweight layer. Love my simms solarflex and Patagonia sun hoodies- but it’s a hard NO on the dri release for hot weather

Just looked at AFTCOs website, they may have something that’s close enough for you. Simms solar flex comes in a orange-reddish that may work too. Grundens has some solar hoodys in coral as well

Last edited:
Here's one. I don't have the hoodie, but I own some Truewerk pants and they are nice.

I might have to buy one for myself. Once again, Rokslide's costing me money!

Sargent mentioned the B1 sun hoodie from Truewerk. I have this hoody in the blaze orange and would highly recommend. Incredibly light weight and doesn’t hold stink like many other synthetic shirts I have. Although after a week I imagine would have a funk to it. Durable for a light weight material but wouldn’t go brush busting with it. Use code TIMMY15 for 15% off. Not my code just one that I use frequently

Reactions: 9.1
Arc'teryx makes a cormac hoodie, it's light and has a UPF 50. I will say I find the cormac stuff a bit chafe-y, but they wick and breathe super well and dry insanely fast.

Back