Lightweight Rifle Under $1k

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
I've searched some old threads, but I am looking to replace my Savage 110 Ultralite 6.5 Creedmoor that I'm about to sell. The bolt slop bothers me too much and I'm also just in the mood to buy a new rifle, but it shoots great and I love the barrel and weight. I would like to keep the rifle below $1k. I could probably go a little above $1k, but prefer not to if it's not worth it.

I'd like to have a threaded barrel but I'm also likely to do an aftermarket in a few years. Also, I'd prefer a sub-6 lb gun but it's not a deal breaker. I would like for it to definitely be under 7 lbs though. I am looking at the below. Please let me know if there are others I should be looking at and any opinions you guys have on any of these.

Browning X-bolt (never shot a Browning)
Tikka T3 Lite (Have eyed these for years but like to avoid Beretta if possible. Aftermarket is a plus though)
Sauer 100 (hard to find much info on them)
Kimber Hunter (seems like people either love them or hate them)
Bergara B-14 (seems like it's a little heavier)
Weatherby Vanguard
Christensen Mesa (Probably just over $1k and I hear bad QC, but not sure if they've fixed that)

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
The standard Browning x-bolts run a little over 6 pounds. I have them in many calibers and they all shoot better than me.
Contrary to many manufacturers, a short action is really a short action receiver

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Tikka is the safe bet with lots of aftermarket support.

With a little time, the Kimber can be made very light. Little aftermarket support though.

The Bergara is heavy, but lots of aftermarket support as it is a Rem 700 pattern action. I don't believe they have a stainless option, so depends on where you are going to hunt.

Weatherby does not appear to have much aftermarket support. I believe it is a Howa action, so you should check out Howa's as well as they have some light options.

The Christensen Mesa looks nice. The stock on my Christensen Ranger 22 is nicer than the stock on my Kimber Montana, so hands down better than the plastic of the Tikka and Kimber Hunter. Cost is the downside. It is a Rem 700 pattern action, so you can find plenty of aftermarket support. However, at that price point I'm not sure I would want to be changing much.

Have very little familiarity with the Brownings.

My vote would be Tikka or Kimber.

Scout777

FNG
I'd recommend a Ruger American Predator. For some reason people here don't seem to mention them often, and that's a shame as they are rather nice rifles. It pretty much exactly what it seems you're looking for assuming you want to stick with 6.5 Creed. It comes threaded so you don't have to drop another hundred bucks in the future. It weighs 6.6 pounds, so under your 7 pound mark, and you'd probably be at 7.5 pounds after a lightweight scope and rings. I've played with them before and they have next to no bolt slop. In fact, I believe they're probably the tightest bolt I've ever handled. Plus, they're stupid accurate. Expect sub-inch groups easily. The barrels are supposed to be pretty easily removable and everyone out there makes barrels for the thing. You could cut a few ounces out if you rebarrel it with a featherweight profile barrel.

If you aren't interested in the Ruger the Kimber seems nice. I did a lot of looking into them a while back and they checked all of my boxes, just couldn't find one at an acceptable price. A potential issue is that many people seem to struggle to get their rifles shooting under an inch. An inch and a half seems to be how these things tend to shoot without seriously tweaking the rifles and loads.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
PM’ed ya. I may be interested in your 6.5 if you haven’t sold it yet…

OP
S

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
Not Christensen…

Kimber is probably the lightest.

Tikka probably shoot best.

Browning has the best fit/finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Any idea what the aftermarket looks like for Browning? The only thing that's really holding me back from them, is that I'd like to put a carbon barrel on it one day and haven't see much out there from a pre-fit point of view.

LightFoot

WKR
Any idea what the aftermarket looks like for Browning? The only thing that's really holding me back from them, is that I'd like to put a carbon barrel on it one day and haven't see much out there from a pre-fit point of view.

No pre-fit that I’m aware of.

A gunsmith can fit and chamber a carbon barrel blank.

If you want to plug and play in the future, the answer is simple: Tikka!

OP
S

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
No pre-fit that I’m aware of.

A gunsmith can fit and chamber a carbon barrel blank.

If you want to plug and play in the future, the answer is simple: Tikka!

Yeah that's the main reason I'm considering Tikka. Thanks!

Keith_PDX

FNG
Have you thought about adding a simple bolt lift kit to your Savage? It seems to fix most of the issue. On your Savage 110 Ultralite mine appears to have the old style adjustable firing pin, with a loaded indicator. You would use the universal kit from Desh Industries.

rootacres

WKR
Don't own an X bolt but from what ive seen them do. They are not a bad option. Ive owned a Bergara and Christensen, my experience with both was excellent. I messed up an extractor on my Ridgeline, CA had one in the mail to me immediately. My brother has a mesa, it shoots ELDX very well. I don't own a Tikka but can vouch for their out of the box accuracy.

#1 - Christensen Arms
#2 - Bergara
#3 - Tikka

Truth be told, you cant go wrong with any of them.

bullmtn

FNG
I have heard that some gunsmiths do not like rebarreling x-bolts, something about the fine threads of the barrel, not impossible by any means but something to check with your gunsmith first before purchase.

Unckebob

WKR
I took my Kimber Hunter 243 to sight it in for deer season this morning. Cheap factory Winchester 95g Deer Hunter ammo. The first three shots with this gun in 2 years.

If I was in need of a mountain rifle, I would get another one in a more powerful cartridge.

F7870E78-296E-4BF5-AB7E-BC246A409E78.jpeg

ETtikka

WKR
Tikka and sauer are the best options in that price range, the sauer 100 is quite impressive, more gun for the money than tikka in my opinion, but most are scared of it because it’s not got the aftermarket support of a rem700 for example

gtriple

WKR
Get a Tikka T3X Lite in Stainless.

Pay $125-150 to get it threaded. If you use a TBAC suppressor, I'd send it to them to thread and mount a muzzle brake.

Trust me, I held off for as long as possible getting a Tikka/Beretta. I bought my first one about 6 months ago. Now I have 4 and am actively looking for more. It crushes my $3000 Weatherby Backcountry Ti.

I've also got a Christensen Ridgeline Ti in 300PRC that shoots under 1 MOA with factory ammo, but I just got a lucky one. Would not risk getting a Mesa.

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a tikka T3x D18 w/ the cerakote fluted barrel in 7mm rem mag. Replaced the stock w a McMillan mountain hunter. Shoots decent with factory. I’ve tried 140g fed premium trophy bonded and Barnes 150g. I do reload. I know beretta customer service is terrible. CA are hit and miss from what I’ve read. I would go for a tikka T3x super lite in your preferred cartridge.

I've searched some old threads, but I am looking to replace my Savage 110 Ultralite 6.5 Creedmoor that I'm about to sell. The bolt slop bothers me too much and I'm also just in the mood to buy a new rifle, but it shoots great and I love the barrel and weight. I would like to keep the rifle below $1k. I could probably go a little above $1k, but prefer not to if it's not worth it.

I'd like to have a threaded barrel but I'm also likely to do an aftermarket in a few years. Also, I'd prefer a sub-6 lb gun but it's not a deal breaker. I would like for it to definitely be under 7 lbs though. I am looking at the below. Please let me know if there are others I should be looking at and any opinions you guys have on any of these.

Browning X-bolt (never shot a Browning)
Tikka T3 Lite (Have eyed these for years but like to avoid Beretta if possible. Aftermarket is a plus though)
Sauer 100 (hard to find much info on them)
Kimber Hunter (seems like people either love them or hate them)
Bergara B-14 (seems like it's a little heavier)
Weatherby Vanguard
Christensen Mesa (Probably just over $1k and I hear bad QC, but not sure if they've fixed that)
I have faced this same problem. I think the tikka is your best bet. I have owned a bunch of the rifles on your list and got sick of the inconsistent groups and finicky factory ammo. I finally just saved up enough money to build a custom rifle and happy I did.