Lightweight motorcycle recommendation

idahodave

WKR
The CRF250F is physically the same as the other 230 bikes. In fact, it's 99 percent the same as the old CRF230. They simply added disk brakes and went to an EFI setup. There is NO better beginner bike for the average hunter. Rock-solid dependable, predictable power-band, and capable of riding 99% of the trails in the world. Buy one, ride it for 3-5 years and if you're abilities grow during that time period, sell it and get 90 percent of your money back.

Then, buy a Beta X-trainer (or similar bike) and conquer the world. I was a paid, motorcycle "trail ranger" doing trail maintenance off of motorcycles in Idaho for a living for many, many years. I know of what I speak on this one.

Dave

p.s. You can buy a koubalink for the CRF250F and drop the seat almost 2" if you feel you must...but I wouldn't. It's not worth the trade-off in case clearance.

H

HappyHuntr

The CRF250F is physically the same as the other 230 bikes. In fact, it's 99 percent the same as the old CRF230. They simply added disk brakes and went to an EFI setup. There is NO better beginner bike for the average hunter. Rock-solid dependable, predictable power-band, and capable of riding 99% of the trails in the world. Buy one, ride it for 3-5 years and if you're abilities grow during that time period, sell it and get 90 percent of your money back.

Then, buy a Beta X-trainer (or similar bike) and conquer the world. I was a paid, motorcycle "trail ranger" doing trail maintenance off of motorcycles in Idaho for a living for many, many years. I know of what I speak on this one.

Dave

p.s. You can buy a koubalink for the CRF250F and drop the seat almost 2" if you feel you must...but I wouldn't. It's not worth the trade-off in case clearance.
true dat

I grew up riding and racing dirt bikes, specifically trail riding. I have ridden most all bikes out there and can honestly say the TW 200 is the worst trail bike out there. Guys that like them must not ride much or ride technically challenging trails in bad conditions. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it’s one that should be considered as the bike can really get you in a bad spot. I was trail riding with my family and in-laws one summer, we were all on various bikes and the father in law was on a brand new TW 200. We got into some steeper hill climbs in the woods, we rode up and down into a big draw pretty far back in the woods. We took a break and the sky opened up with an intense rain storm. We went to head back and I made it up to the top of the will with no issues, and so did one of my brother in-laws. But I had to hike down and ride my wife’s bike, and brother in laws to the top, than last was my father in law with his TW. I got on that bike and had to attempt the hill twice as the first time I could not develop enough traction with the horrible gear ratio, low powered engine and lack of traction the wide rear wheel put to the ground. I had to ride the bike to the bottom of the hill and get a large running start and still doggy paddled the bike up the last 100yards to the top. We had everything thing from Yamaha wr’s, Tt-r and a Honda Crf that I rode up that hill for the others with zero issue and no real thought at all, that TW made me look like I had not spent anytime riding a motorcycle in the woods. After that I always strongly encourage people to stay away from the machine. Couldn’t imagine a steeper and slightly muddier hill by yourself and you would be walking back to the truck, what a joke the bikes are! Get a TT-R any size that feels right and you can ride those things anywhere and never worry about breaking or not being able to get it where you need it to go, just point and shoot! May not be as fun to ride as a water cooled bike, but man, nothing easier out there to ride! Honda crf’s are great but they don’t lug like a Yamaha, gearing isn’t as good and they are prone to have mechanical issues more than Yamaha’s in my opinion. My wife rode a tt-r 125 past 3 guys on 450’s one year that has all fallen and scattered all over a hill climb after multiple attempts. I rode to the top and my wife followed right behind, they really looked embarrassed…

Also, Yamaha Big Wheels are amazing trail bikes, I owned one when I was a kid, we used to hunt off them. They do not suffer from the same issues as the TW’s even with a wider rear wheel, the gearing is better.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from a guy that has spent significant time trail riding the hardest single track out there in the NW with all skill levels and bike types.

Last edited:
H

HappyHuntr

I grew up riding and racing dirt bikes, specifically trail riding. I have ridden most all bikes out there and can honestly say the TW 200 is the worst trail bike out there. Guys that like them must not ride much or ride technically challenging trails in bad conditions. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it’s one that should be considered as the bike can really get you in a bad spot. I was trail riding with my family and in-laws one summer, we were all on various bikes and the father in law was on a brand new TW 200. We got into some steeper hill climbs in the woods, we rode up and down into a big draw pretty far back in the woods. We took a break and the sky opened up with an intense rain storm. We went to head back and I made it up to the top of the will with no issues, and so did one of my brother in-laws. But I had to hike down and ride my wife’s bike, and brother in laws to the top, than last was my father in law with his TW. I got on that bike and had to attempt the hill twice as the first time I could not develop enough traction with the horrible gear ratio, low powered engine and lack of traction the wide rear wheel put to the ground. I had to ride the bike to the bottom of the hill and get a large running start and still doggy paddled the bike up the last 100yards to the top. We had everything thing from Yamaha wr’s, Tt-r and a Honda Crf that I rode up that hill for the others with zero issue and no real thought at all, that TW made me look like I had not spent anytime riding a motorcycle in the woods. After that I always strongly encourage people to stay away from the machine. Couldn’t imagine a steeper and slightly muddier hill by yourself and you would be walking back to the truck, what a joke the bikes are! Get a TT-R any size that feels right and you can ride those things anywhere and never worry about breaking or not being able to get it where you need it to go, just point and shoot! May not be as fun to ride as a water cooled bike, but man, nothing easier out there to ride! Honda crf’s are great but they don’t lug like a Yamaha, gearing isn’t as good and they are prone to have mechanical issues more than Yamaha’s in my opinion. My wife rode a tt-r 125 past 3 guys on 450’s one year that has all fallen and scattered all over a hill climb after multiple attempts. I rode to the top and my wife followed right behind, they really looked embarrassed…

Also, Yamaha Big Wheels are amazing trail bikes, I owned one when I was a kid, we used to hunt off them. They do not suffer from the same issues as the TW’s even with a wider rear wheel, the gearing is better.

Anyway, just a few thoughts from a guy that has spent significant time trail riding the hardest single track out there in the NW with all skill levels and bike types.
Those TW’s are honestly no good 👎🏼

TheGDog

WKR
Toss up between like a CRF250f/XR250 and the Yamaha WR250R I'd say.

Hrmm... if you know you're going out there together with others... EFI would be better performance, more consistent performance at higher-elevations because it has EFI so can adjust for air density.

If I was going far-in alone though? I dunno... I suppose EFI's by now are reliable, but I just might instead consider the carb'd bike just so less stuff to possibly fail and strand you.

If possible.. I'd want a bike that can either kick OR eStart with magic-button. But for a 250 4-stroke, the kick wouldn't be anything to be concerned about.

Electric Start is soo lovely though and can save your butt sometimes if you end up killing the engine in a precarious place on a tight single track goat trail.

If you do get a bike that is eStart only... and if it has a key? Like a DualSport model would...

MAKE SURE you get wiring diagram and study it at home to learn what you'd need to do in order to hot-wire that ignition switch in the field, just in case you have a crash and it takes a hit to the instrument cluster and that keyed switch gets damaged! Had that happen to me while doing some track-riding on a Suzuki DR400S that I setup more for off-roading. Ended my riding real quick that day. :(

I bet the Yamaha WR250R (<-- the DualSport model they sold here in the US and just discontinued selling here like a year or so ago after about a 10 yr run of them) would be an excellent choice for you for this application I think.

Won't break the bank. Has EFI. Has aftermarket support so you can get an On-The-Fly ECU programmer so you can change the fuel mappings for different power characteristics on-the-fly out in the field. The stock exhaust is stupid quiet. But you can shave lotta weight if you toss it and get an aftermarket. And..since it's dual sported.. you'd likely be able to take it a few more places than you could an offroad only registered bike.

Also since they were DualSports... there's already buncha after market racks and stuff people make for them. I remember there's also a lowering link for the rear suspension some company made. But I seriously seriously doubt you'd need it. It's only got like 10.6" suspension front and back, so won't be as tall as a MotoX/Dez/Enduro specific race bike.

Remember you're going to have a lot more weight strapped on you while riding it, so it'll squash down more than usual. So I highly doubt you'd have problems dabbing a foot down here or there as needed though.

ALSO... it already has lights! If you're hunting on the bike... you're for sure going to need lighting for the ride back out, like if you end up taking the shot at last light. So wouldn't have to fuss with potentially getting the Stator re-wound for more output to run the lighting. Like you might have to do on a trail bike you buy without lighting initially.

I'd also say swap out the stock battery for a lithium one. They weigh a good amount less.

I really wouldn't worry to much about your height and all that. I'm 5' 11" but only have a 30" inseam and got my start riding big tall Huskies back in the day w/ 40" seat-heights!

Also for this application, I'd probably go with a solid "mousse" inner-tube like the enduro guys run so you don't have to worry about pinch-flats from hits on rocks. If you need the ride of the tire to be softer... those guys just end up perforating that mousse tube uniformly all throughout it to modify it's stiffness. And I think you can also buy ones with different comparable PSI-like ratings to them.

MAKE SURE you get a good bash-plate for underneath! To protect the engine cases from somehow taking a rock to them and cracking on you way out in B.F.E. far away from help!

Also research how to affix a length of cabling between frame to tip of rear brake pedal to help avoid getting weeds and debris snagged in there on the trail.

Also get one of those spare spark-plug holders that you can affix to a frame member with a hose-clamp. Not as much of an issue when it's not a high-strung two-stroke... but still you should NOT go way back in there without an extra spare plug.

You'll also need a tool-roll/tool-kit to take with you so you can deal with things like changing a splug out in the field. Mini-tire spoons for changing out an inner tube if you don't go the mousse-tube route. etc.

Before you even go out riding it the first time.... go through all the plastics (especially front fender!) and make sure all the screws are Blue-Loctite'd in place! So they don't vibrate out on ya in BFE.

Oh... another important thing... if it doesn't have a fairly easy pull on the clutch lever... then replace the clutch-cable with one of those nicer TEFLON-lined ones. Back in the day Terry-cable used to make 'em. On slow-going trails... with all that extra weight you're gonna work that clutch hand... A LOT!

A pic of a Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha wr250r.jpg

My last beast (KX500!) before bulging discs made me have to stop.
MVI_0295_0006.jpg

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Check out the smaller Kawasaki off-road four strikes. A 250 isn't a beginner's bike.
A 250 4-stroke trail bike most certainly is a beginners bike.

For hunting... and packing out that extra weight? He'd likely need at least a 200-250 in order to be able to lug all that around. I WOULD NOT go smaller than 200cc. Gotta remember... we're also potentially talking about the guy likely needing to do rugged single track hill-climbs too.

I'd probably want a tw200 for that style of riding. If you're going for lightweight, get a 250/300 ktm/gasgas/husky 2 stroke and have a shop set up the power valve and suspension for trail riding and hunting. If you get a husky te300i like i have you can get a lowering link to lower it 2" and factory they are already 1" lower than ktms and gas gas. You can also change the gear ratio on the drive train for lower, slower beginner riding then move up as you get comfortable. Any of those bikes after 2018 have the best motor.

H

HappyHuntr

Despite popular use, the tw200 is a no go for me. I am neighbors with a man who lives and breaths dirtbikes and hunting. He has hunted idaho off bikes for 30 years. He is in his 60's and about 5'7 150. Rides a tt-r 225. The problem with the tw and the honda fat cats is because of the wider wheel they dont put as much pressure on 1 spot like a normal bike would. Therefore, even though they are more balanced, slip more and fishtail more do to pressure of the wheel being less do to the wider surface area. Then you get to 2 stroke or 4 stroke. 2 are obviously louder but my friend, Jerry, say's they don't spook animals any more than a 4 stroke. The advantage of a 2 is the ability to use a smaller bike. A 2 stroke 125-150 has about the same power as a 4 stroke 230-250 in a much smaller frame. I'd go 2 stroke 125/150. Most importantly, just like guns our really anything, get something that feels right. And most, most importantly, dont get more bike than you can handle, those trails are tough, your bike and most importantly you, need to be too. Just my .02$
Been riding dirt bikes since the 70’s and I like my TW for hunting just fine. Like most things it may not be the perfect tool for everything but for lots of things they are great.
As i said, get what you can handle and feel right.

H

HappyHuntr

Hell yes! We rode the piss out of the 70’s and 90’s as kids. Tons of fun and you could push and poke the 70’s about anywhere :)
Gotta love it. So overlooked but so powerful. 7mm mag punch in a 223 frame

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider

Yup, don't get the obsession with them. They are fine if all you ride are ATV trails and just trying to get to a spot right off the trail. I bet they work great in flatter areas or areas you wouldn't take your truck. Anything technical, hill climbs, etc. that's a no go for me. This is coming from an experienced trials/enduro rider. There are much better bikes for the job at hand.

robtattoo

WKR
I think the main issue with the TeeDub is the lack of rear tire options. There are literally none, other than the factory Bridgestone TW34 without spending an extra $500+ to do a trailer wheel modification. The back tire is great on the road & dirty tracks & not to bad on milder stuff, but it's pretty well worthless in wet mud.
I bought mine because I didn't want to deal with a 4 wheeler & couldn't afford a decent UTV. Also, i can ride to my local hunting spots without the hassle of a trailer. It's a long way from factory stock though.

Don't get me wrong, I adore it but i don't really ride much in the way of silly stuff around here. It'll be coming out west with me this fall, but I'll be fitting it with a 12" trailer wheel & very, very aggressive mud terrain tire. I used to ride technical trials years ago & i know what it takes to get up and around very steep, wet & rocky terrain & in factory form, unfortunately, the TW200 ain't it. It can be made to be it, but for what it costs, there are simpler options that'll do the job just as well.
20230203_140141.jpg

OP
D

Docg313

FNG

Dave

Would the x-trainer be ok for my first bike? If I skipped the Honda and just went all out. How is reliability of beta vs Honda? Thanks

idahodave

WKR
Would the x-trainer be ok for my first bike? If I skipped the Honda and just went all out. How is reliability of beta vs Honda? Thanks

Depends on a lot of things. How do you define "ok"? How much do think you'll be riding? How old are you? What's your level of athleticism? What's your tolerance for pain?

I'm only half joking when I ask these questions. The CRF250F is the "easy" button if you're JUST looking for a hunting bike and definitely what I would recommend...by a wide margin. The Beta is a very, very reliable bike...but the air-cooled 4 strokes (which is what the CRF is) are without peer from a purely "reliable" standpoint.

If you think you'll be recreationally riding and maybe venturing on some more technical terrain, I'd start leaning towards the X-Trainer...especially if you're relatively young and fit. I should note the CRF is about 3-4 thousand dollars LESS than the X-trainer, so let that factor in as you see fit.

Dave

P.s. An hour after I took this picture with one of my trail crews, we were in that saddle over their heads at 10,000’ in the Italian Peaks last summer. I wouldn’t have gotten there with a CRF250F. Then again, you wouldn’t have gotten there with an x-trainer….unless you have a ton of time in the saddle.

7C8ADAC3-4B50-492F-9392-DB5C7ED73AF5.jpeg

Last edited:

idahodave

WKR
Same day. That’s a KTM 300 in the foreground, and my X-trainer in the shadows beyond it.

Come hunting season though, I tend to ride my old KLX300 or a CRF250F depending on what's available.

94A7D82F-58C7-432B-AD54-C05DF9472434.jpeg

Elk97

WKR
My sons have a 450 Yamaha and a 400 Honda, I can go anywhere they can with my old 87 Honda 200 trials bike (with knobbies on it). Hunting on a bike is more about being able to haul a load (heavy pack in or meat out) than all out knarly riding. Riding with a heavy pack on your back sucks, no matter what you are riding, balance is all messed up and makes shifting your weight like you normally do almost impossible. For a new rider gearing so you can crawl along while using your feet to stabilize in a deep rutted single track and a low seat height is really important. I thought about a TW 200 but they are 300lbs! I'd borrow or rent a couple of bikes and ride them with all of your hunting gear on (including bow or rifle) before deciding on what to buy.