Lightweight, Durable hunting/range scope

Another NXS 2.5-10 vote here.

I have two of the 32mm versions and one of the 42. I regularly shoot them out to 800 yards and occasionally 1000. Very confident at 600 on game under the right conditions. Also, you no longer have to worry about reliability. Exposed turrets have never been an issue & have never inadvertently turned. I put them through some serious bushwacking every year.

One of the most satisfying gear purchases I’ve made, because it eliminates any need to look elsewhere, unless it’s for more unicorn 32mm NXS’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tightwad

FNG
I think there is a big opportunity in the hunting market for Nightforce to split the feature difference on the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the NX8 series with capped windage, a 5x or 6x erector and a 42mm objective with slight improvements to the illumination or the FFP reticle designs at low magnification.
I agree 100%. There's a huge market opportunity for Nightforce in that area, they already have the name and have demonstrated the ability to produce the product.

All I would add to your statement is a reticle that is more suited to low light conditions. I have a hard time with the MOAR reticle in low light and am not a fan of illumination. The Forceplex is really nice, I just wish it had some windage marks and possibly some elevation marks for quick access. My favorite reticle so far has been the Leupold Windplex, heavy outside and thin in the middle - with marks for windage.

Keeping the objective at 44mm or less is a big deal to me, as there's plenty of large objective scopes out there already.

If they would offer a SHV 4-14x42 with the capped turrets, I'd be all over that like a duck on a June bug.

Antares

WKR
I got an NXS 2.5-10 a few months ago and it's my go to now. I find myself switching it between rifles, which I guess means I need another one. I have the NXS 3.5-15 too, but I'm taking that off a rifle and putting the 2.5-10 on for a trip next week just because the size and weight of the 2.5-10 is so much more reasonable.

If NF would put a FFP reticle similar to the FC MIL that's in the 1-8 NX8 into the 3-10 SHV or NXS lines, I'd buy 5 right away. I also wouldn't say no to something similar to the THLR in a 2.5-10 NXS.

I also agree with the gentleman who mentioned that ghost turning of non locked elevation turrets it rarely an issue. In a perfect world, Icd prefer them to be locked, but I can't say as though I've ever had them turn on me, and I commonly carry them through some thick cut over regrowth areas. I do like having them zero stopped though, as I'm in the habit of constantly checking to confirm that the elevation is on the right rev.

Last edited:

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Re: low light hunting with the 2.5-10 NXS (MOAR). I set it to 5x, dial 20MOA and use the top of illuminated post as the aim point (on lowest setting in red). This is a good option if pushing the limits of low light as the post won't wash out the image. Great for a last minute run out on a clearing.

Last edited:
Re: low light hunting with the 2.5-10 NXS (MOAR). I set it to 5x, dial 20MOA and use the top of illuminated post as the aim point (on lowest setting in red). This is a good option if pushing the limits of low light as the post wont wash out the image. Great for a last minute run out on a clearing.
One thing I prefer on the SHV 3-10 MOAR is that only the center cross hair is lit. For my use, depending on the idiosyncrasies of a a given reticle, I've come to prefer this over lighting the entire thing.

Last edited:

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
One of the things I prefer on the SHV 3-10 MOARis that only the center cross hair is lit. Depending on the attributes of the reticle, I've come to prefer this over lighting the entire thing.
I do like full illumination for close stalking in lowlight undergrowth but your right, centre illumination is more than adequate.

I do like full illumination for close stalking in lowlight undergrowth but your right, centre illumination is more than adequate.
To me, only the center being lit is ultra fast for close, potentially moving, targets in thick cover.

SDHNTR

WKR
One thing I prefer on the SHV 3-10 MOAR is that only the center cross hair is lit. For my use, depending on the idiosyncrasies of a a given reticle, I've come to prefer this over lighting the entire thing.
I just shot a giant boar hog 2 evenings ago right at last light with the same scope. Love that scope and center lit crosshair.

timk311

FNG
Everyone that has a Trijicon tenmile raves about them so I was seriously considering getting one. I was able to look through the 3-18x50 FFP model at Sportsmans and was shocked at how horrible the FOV was and how it seemed like I was looking down a pipe. The glass looked very clear though.
I asked the salesmen to look through it and he immediately said "wow that FOV is horrible"
Dont know if it was just a lemon but there is no way the FOV on the spec sheet is anywhere near what I saw in person.
I was comparing it to the Mark 5HD 3.6-18 side by side. The Mark 5 FOV on spec is rated somewhere around 10' less on low power than the tenmile but the Mark 5 was WAY easier to get behind and a much better FOV.
I was seriously disappointed in the Trijicon. It also seemed really long.
I really wanted to like it though.
Im still considering trying one in the SFP models

Im wondering if the one I saw at Sportsmans had something wrong with it,
But the Mark 5 easily blew it away in just about everything in my opinion

ihuntsolo

FNG
My wish list for hunting scope that dials:

- Absolutely holds zero no matter what. Not only drops, but vibration from being rattled around in the back of a vehicle, helicopter or jet boat.
- Accurate dialing with absolute return to zero every time.
- Scope mag range like 2-10X, 3-12x, 4-16X or maybe 4-20X are plenty for hunting and field use.
- FFP preferred.
- 40-44mm objective.
- A reticle that does not require illumination if in a dim or dark background. Many FFP and wind/elevation hold reticles work poorly in bad lighting or low magnification.
- Reasonable glass that most ED scopes today can more than exceed. Don't go crazy and drive the weight/price of the scope up with elaborate and expensive lens arrangements.
- No more 8X+ mag range scopes. They are compromises that sacrifice bottom end and top end with parallax and critical eye relief issues.
- Capped windage. On a hunting scope uncapped windage can only lead to sorrow.
- Locking elevation. I want to set the scope at a 2-3 inches above zero when walking and be able to dial quickly if needed to make a shot. I don't want a dial spinning by accident.
- 20 ozs. max.
great list. So which scopes meet the most requirements here?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there are any in a scope brand I'd trust.

The NF NXS8 1-8x24 has potential. The reticle in FFP is pretty good at all mag ranges. If they had a 3-15x40 or so FFP in same reticle with covered wind turret they'd probably be at the 20 ozs mark. The NX8 1-8x24 is about 17 ozs. Locking elevation would be gravy if they could pull it off. I'm thinking an updated 2.5-10x42NXS but in 3-15x42 F1 or such in concept. I'd even take an updated 2.5-10x42 NXS F1 in current form factor with the NXS 1-8 reticle (but make center dot smaller for long range work).

ChrisAU

WKR
NF won’t make an FFP 2.5-10x42 with a capped windage and traditional illumination system because they wouldn’t sell any other scopes to hunters. It would be the end all be all of hunting scopes.

As it is, my do it all rig has the 2.5-10x42 NXS MIL-R on it now. I love it.

Spent last season with a 2.5-15x42 Credo which was also fantastic but the reticle was a touch thin and I didn’t need any X’s over 10 for any situation, including an Antelope in WY right at 400 yards in patchy mud and snow. They were hard to see with the naked eye but yet I shot with the scope on 9x or 10x IIRC.

I have a 3-18x44 Tenmile coming Monday that I believe I will love. Form made no mention of FOV being an issue, actually said the opposite in his review. Not sure why I’ve seen the same poster on all hunting forums make that post the last couple days about the FOV…almost like someone was losing some market share…lol I kid, perhaps that was a lemon.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the Tenmile 3-18x44 and my NF NXS 3.5-15 F1/SHV 3-10x42 next to each other. The Tenmile is fine, but the NXS and SHV felt a lot more robust for whatever reason. I sent the Tenmile back without mounting. I didn't notice any FoV issue with it and the clarity was excellent. But again not really that much different than the NF. I've never missed a shot due to NF glass.

I will say that the Tenmile illumination was significantly better than the SHV. It also beat the older NXS F1 I have because the F1 does not have adjustable brightness like the Tenmile.

The turrets on the NF were better than the Tenmile, but the Tenmile was fine for what it was and had capped windage. Capped windage is a must on any scope I'd use in the field. I never dial wind except in very rare circumstances so I want it capped or locked at all times as it can only lead to sorrow. I'd also like a locking elevation to prevent any accidents as well. I put tape on the NF windage to prevent it slipping but wish it was capped. The SHV is already capped so they have that part OK.

The Tenmile comes with a shade and nice Tenabraex lens caps. Also comes with a nice neoprene cover. They did a good job with the accessories.

The reticle itself was the deal breaker. The problem with a lot of FFP scopes is they cater to the top end and the bottom end mag range suffers. So with the Tenmile the reticle at 3X the stadia lines did not extend to the edges which always bugs me and the center area became extremely thin and difficult to aim quickly. At the top end however it looked good.

The biggest thing with the reticle is it had something like 12 mils of windage hold. My older NF NXS 3.5-15 has the MLR2.0 reticle which has 5 mils. Twelve mils of windage means the reticle is very thin at lower mag ranges in the center.

I have shot a TON of long range at 1-2K and never once have I ever wanted to hold off 12 mils wind on any target. If there is that much wind you need to dial it onto the scope, move closer, or go inside because you are shooting in a hurricane. To put this in perspective in a 6.5 Creedmoor class rifle:

Bullet: Hornady 6.5mm 140 ELD-M
Velocity: 2750fps
Wind: 60MPH
1000 Yard Wind Hold: 12.5Mils

How often would people want to shoot in 60MPH wind and hold 12 mils? And at those wind speeds you can't possibly even know your wind hold is good in the gusts. It's just fantasy land holding windage like that.

So I don't know why these reticle designers make these ridiculous windage holds when they should instead make thicker stadia lines that come in from the sides so you can actually see it at lower powers on a FFP scope. A 5 mil wind hold on a reticle is more than enough. Use the rest of the stadia to improve lower mag range visibility. I am picking on Trijicon here, but other reticle designs do the same thing. Give me visibility across the scope's magnification range, not 12 meters of windage hold off at 1000m for the times I find myself shooting in gale force winds!

Unfortunately, the Tenmile reticle at under 6X is not that great. For my shooting where I wanted it to be a general purpose dialing scope for LR hunting I had to send it back. I shoot a lot at the 4-8X range when hunting and the tiny reticle would make fast target acquisition or shooting in darker locations harder. I don't like using illumination as a crutch, I want to be able to see the reticle in wide number of places without needing to flip on any lights. Again when you got over 8-10X the reticle was fine, but ultimately I felt the NXS and SHV were proven and reliable so much that I didn't want to mess with the Trijicon.

YMMV. Let us know what you think when you get it. Let's hold out that these scope companies read these threads and take into consideration the feedback.

Last edited:

timk311

FNG
NF won’t make an FFP 2.5-10x42 with a capped windage and traditional illumination system because they wouldn’t sell any other scopes to hunters. It would be the end all be all of hunting scopes.

As it is, my do it all rig has the 2.5-10x42 NXS MIL-R on it now. I love it.

Spent last season with a 2.5-15x42 Credo which was also fantastic but the reticle was a touch thin and I didn’t need any X’s over 10 for any situation, including an Antelope in WY right at 400 yards in patchy mud and snow. They were hard to see with the naked eye but yet I shot with the scope on 9x or 10x IIRC.

I have a 3-18x44 Tenmile coming Monday that I believe I will love. Form made no mention of FOV being an issue, actually said the opposite in his review. Not sure why I’ve seen the same poster on all hunting forums make that post the last couple days about the FOV…almost like someone was losing some market share…lol I kid, perhaps that was a lemon.
Lol, that was me. I’m just trying to get as much info around the boards before I buy a scope. Never paid over $600 for one so now that I’m jumping up well above a grand, even close to $2k, I just want to make sure making good choice.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
A man who I hold in very high regard recommended a S&B 10x42 PMII for a lightweight western riflescope.
20 ounces
13.2 mil elevation
Zero stop
P3 mildot reticle doesn’t need illumination
Factory parallax at 300m
30mm tube
Almost bombproof
Under $2k

ChrisAU

WKR
Lol, that was me. I’m just trying to get as much info around the boards before I buy a scope. Never paid over $600 for one so now that I’m jumping up well above a grand, even close to $2k, I just want to make sure making good choice.

I’m jealous that you have somewhere you can go look at them. Nowhere near me has much of anything above the $300 range lol