Lightweight, Durable hunting/range scope

I am new to making posts but have been lurking in the background for quite some time. Read, and watched many reviews here and elsewhere. As well, I have used many scopes SFP and FFP, illuminated and not, and now I feel like I'm going in circles trying to find the perfect scope. I am Canadian so prices vary from the states but I am looking to stay under $2500 CAD on a scope, prefer under $2000 CAD so $1500 - $1900 ish USD on the very highest end (used mark 5 is $2600 CAD, new is $3000 CAD + ... and VORTEX LHT 4.5-22 is $2100 ish CAD vs $1500 USD.... for comparison reasons )

I am primarily a Back Country Hunter so weight is very important but so is durability ... warranty isn't needed when I'm 5-10 km from my truck. However, when saying that I'm at my very max price limit when looking to spend $2500 so I like the comfort of having warranty in the chance something happens. I've shot many animals almost all 50 - 400 yards but I recently got into sheep hunting which may require 600 yard shots. That is my range I don't plan to ever shoot an animal further, however, I do believe if I plan to shoot 600 yards I should be able to shoot 800 yards plus on a target. Why, well when I'm not excited, stressed, exhausted, and am able to stabilize myself shooting is a lot easier and targets don't get wounded. It is going on a semi-custom tikka t3x build in which I swap barrels from a 6.5 PRC - 300 WSM depending on what I'm hunting. The chance of having a shot at 50 yards is about as likely as having a shot at 400 - 600 yards where I hunt. I typically walk around with the scope on 6 power due to the variability but I like the option to go down and up in power from there if time permits it. I do reload and I do shoot frequently so I do know my limits.

Looking for something SUB 26 oz (prefer something < 22 oz but exceptions are made), durability is huge, must have < 5x minimum zoom (2-4 is preferred 4.5 is my max I've tolerated), and would prefer a minimum of 10x zoom on the higher end with reliable turrets, prefer MIL over MOA, Prefer locking zero stop, Prefer not to have a capped elevation turret, and the wind is whatever usually hold for wind so it doesn't need to be uncapped ( I understand how to hold for SFP scopes but it is less convenient when under pressure ). I don't love busy reticles (eg. have a Vortex LHT 4.5-22 and it is border line too busy for me), I'd like a 30mm over 1" tube so I can dial for further distances but if the best scope is a 1" tube so be it. I do like FFP for targets but for hunting it hasn't made much difference as I prefer to dial on shots past 300. I am usually zoomed in or at least know where the scope is set and either zoom into that or look at my cheat sheet for SFP scopes to make holds simple. I also prefer illumination if the reticle is thin or on FFP (biggest detriment to Bushnell LRHS 3-12) almost mandatory illumination for FFP scopes, in saying that I don't want the illuminated reticle to be hard to see past (eg. when the whole tree reticle lights up). MAX 50mm objective lens, also if greater than 10x zoom it must have a parallax as I've read many reviews with 12x having difficulties even in scopes like the Swarovski Z3. AND OBVIOUSLY glass quality, especially low light performance are huge.

SCOPES I CONSIDER ... and yes I know these are different price ranges and yes I know the differences but they have all ended up on this list for reasons.

-Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50 (currently own but WORRIED ABOUT DURABILITY)
-Tract scopes (if their FFP scope wasn't heavy I'd have that one)
-NF NXS or SHV 2.5/3-10x42 (don't love the SHV because of MOA)
-Swaro Z3
-Swaro z5 3-18x44
-SWFA 2.5-10x32
-SWFA 3-15x42
-Zeiss Conquest v4 4-16x44
-Bushnell LRHS
-Leupold vx3 line
-Leupold vx5 line
-Leupold vx6 line
-Leupold MARK 5
-Trijicon (no experience but heard good things)

Open to other suggestions if you think you know the perfect scope for me.

THANKS

OP
V
Not sure how to edit the original post but if you think a scope past 10 zoom does not need parallax then im open to those as well. Also curious about sightron S-Tac 3-16x42, just never looked through one so I'm not sure how the glass stacks up

SDHNTR

WKR
Throw out all Vortex, Swarovski and Leupold. They are not durable. I also personally would not count on Tract either, only because the owner has come on here and been incredibly evasive with regard to any and all questions pertaining to their scopes reliability.

Personally, I would look to a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. In my mind, it is the perfect blend of dead nuts reliability, compact size, and weight. The SHV would work too but you have the budget apparently and the NXS is certainly a worthy step up.

I also think you would be well-suited with a Trijicon of your liking, or the Bushnell G2 LRHS, or whatever it’s called now.

SWFA is also out due to unavailability and their fake back order status. What that really means is keep dreaming fool!

Last edited:
OP
V
Throw out all Vortex, Swarovski and Leupold. They are not durable. I also personally would not count on Tract either, only because the owner has come on here and been incredibly evasive with regard to any and all questions pertaining to their scopes reliability.

Personally, I would look to a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. In my mind, it is the perfect blend of dead nuts reliability, compact size, and weight. The SHV would work too but you have the budget apparently and the NXS is certainly a worthy step up.

I also think you would be well-suited with a Trijicon of your liking, or the Bushnell G2 LRHS, or whatever it’s called now.

SWFA is also out due to unavailability and their fake back order status. What that really means is keep dreaming fool!
I've never shot to 1000 yards but do you find the nxs is limited due to being 10 power or not an issue at all?

Bushnell LRHS would be about perfect for your needs and the price is right. The reticle is one of my favorite parts about it. Having that “ring of death” for those possible up close shots on a FFP scope is a huge plus in my opinion.

SDHNTR

WKR
Well, that boils down to personal preference and what works for you and your eyes. Personally, I like a little more magnification if I’m going to be shooting that far. But plenty of guys will tell you that 10x is more than enough for 1000 yds. IMO, you really can’t answer that question until you have tried yourself.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run two MK5 3.6-18 x 44 in mil, not illuminated, with the CCH on my rifles. I like the newer reticle they have though. TMR is hashed but no tree. Leupold has good glass for twilight. It is short, durable, and light. Elevation turret locks and the windage is capped, which I like for the reasons you stated. It has been carried and abused for a few years on my rifle, carried for 9 days in AK, backpacked in AZ, bounced in side by sides, tons of range trips, and no problems. That is my vote.

This is my the rest of my list for backcountry reliability based on guys who run scopes hard and shoot a lot.

SWFA 3-15 is bombproof and adequate. It is the only scope I would buy in that price range.
The FFP SHV with exposed turrets is available illuminated in MIL. I really like them for the money.
The NX8 would be another higher end option.

Can you get Burris XTR III in Canada? I know @gr8fuldoug has an awesome sale on them right now. If I didn't have Leupold MK5 I would probably run the XTRIII and his price is outrageous enough to tempt me to buy one.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, that boils down to personal preference and what works for you and your eyes. Personally, I like a little more magnification if I’m going to be shooting that far. But plenty of guys will tell you that 10x is more than enough for 1000 yds. IMO, you really can’t answer that question until you have tried yourself.
I find myself shooting long range mostly in the 12-15 power range because of mirage, but will crank it up to 18 on my scope if it still looks good. It is always at 18 when zeroing and doing load development at 100 yards, ironically enough.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I would agree with sticking to NF and SWFA for highest confidence and reliability and throwing out the rest . I disagree with tossing out the MK5 from Leupold though.

I would consider skipping the NXS and look at the NX8 though. I really like the configuration of the lower power with the larger zoom multiplier. But, if I were going to carry a backcountry scope with range to 600 yards, the NXS 2.5-10 would be on the list for sure. 10 x is plenty to 600 and I could live with it, and would compromise for the size/weight gain.

OP
V
I run two MK5 3.6-18 x 44 in mil, not illuminated, with the CCH on my rifles. I like the newer reticle they have though. TMR is hashed but no tree. Leupold has good glass for twilight. It is short, durable, and light. Elevation turret locks and the windage is capped, which I like for the reasons you stated. It has been carried and abused for a few years on my rifle, carried for 9 days in AK, backpacked in AZ, bounced in side by sides, tons of range trips, and no problems. That is my vote.

This is my the rest of my list for backcountry reliability based on guys who run scopes hard and shoot a lot.

SWFA 3-15 is bombproof and adequate. It is the only scope I would buy in that price range.
The FFP SHV with exposed turrets is available illuminated in MIL. I really like them for the money.
The NX8 would be another higher end option.

Can you get Burris XTR III in Canada? I know @gr8fuldoug has an awesome sale on them right now. If I didn't have Leupold MK5 I would probably run the XTRIII and his price is outrageous enough to tempt me to buy one.
I'll have to look into the Burris and the specs, I have heard great things about the MK5 and that it's the one Leupold most people have no real bad things to say about. My biggest two issues are that it is the very MAX of both my budget and weight.
I would consider skipping the NXS and look at the NX8 though. I really like the configuration of the lower power with the larger zoom multiplier. But, if I were going to carry a backcountry scope with range to 600 yards, the NXS 2.5-10 would be on the list for sure. 10 x is plenty to 600 and I could live with it, and would compromise for the size/weight gain.
I have only briefly looked into the NX8 due to the weight, I am interested why you say skip it other than for the option of 2.5-20 vs 2.5-10.

OP
V
Bushnell LRHS would be about perfect for your needs and the price is right. The reticle is one of my favorite parts about it. Having that “ring of death” for those possible up close shots on a FFP scope is a huge plus in my opinion.
Have you spent time behind any of the others? If so how does it compare optically?

Yes, that is fair. I guess ill have to just take a look at 10 power and see how it looks to 1000 and go from there. this is the hardest part about the "perfect" scope, it is mostly opinionated.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Based on everything you have said, intended use and budget. To me it is no contest. Get the SWFA SHV 4-14 x 50 in FFP. It has everything you need and no mission critical features are missing. It is durable, reliable, glass is excellent, you can dial, you can get it illuminated, and shoot to 1000 yards comfortably. Paying more won't give you anything that makes a real difference.

I ran the SHV for a while before I got stupid and started buying and selling scopes in search of perfect. I sold one of my hunting friends my SHV and four of them now use SHV because they are cheapskates and don't want deal with replacing it during their lifetimes. There were a couple Vortex scopes and a Leupold MK4 that failed on them so they put reliability #1 and budget #2. It left them with SHV. In no situation hunting with them have I ever thought, well, you could have made that shot if you only spent the extra money on the NXS/NX8/MK5/Etc.

Long range snobs like me will go on and on about features, etc. Feel free to ignore us and get out of the paralysis of analysis. There is no perfect scope unless you tighten down the criteria. If you simply crank down your budget, IMO you really are left with the SHV if you prioritize and require the highest reliability. Have you ever seen the Nightforce torture test where they use the scope as a hammer and throw it back and forth on the range?

One other option is maybe the Horus scopes. They are basically the SHV scope built by NF with a little different specs but they come with Horus reticles. I did a review of the scope for Long Range Only.

BjornF16

WKR
NF NXS 2.5-10 if SFP

Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 FFP

If 30 oz acceptable, add the NF SHV 4-14 FFP

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
NF NXS 2.5-10 if SFP

Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 FFP

If 30 oz acceptable, add the NF SHV 4-14 FFP
I'm looking at the tenmile 3-18 myself do you personally have this scope. Not a ton of reviews on this scope.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I'll have to look into the Burris and the specs, I have heard great things about the MK5 and that it's the one Leupold most people have no real bad things to say about. My biggest two issues are that it is the very MAX of both my budget and weight.

I have only briefly looked into the NX8 due to the weight, I am interested why you say skip it other than for the option of 2.5-20 vs 2.5-10.
In my opinion, skip the NX8. It only looks nice on paper. In application, they’ve got too much zoom in too small a package. The end result is an incredibly finicky eye box. I thought it was virtually unusable. There was some tunneling also. I want a scope that is easy to get behind. Especially for hunting where positions are not always ideal. Nonstarter for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
Based on everything you have said, intended use and budget. To me it is no contest. Get the SWFA SHV 4-14 x 50 in FFP. It has everything you need and no mission critical features are missing. It is durable, reliable, glass is excellent, you can dial, you can get it illuminated, and shoot to 1000 yards comfortably. Paying more won't give you anything that makes a real difference.

I ran the SHV for a while before I got stupid and started buying and selling scopes in search of perfect. I sold one of my hunting friends my SHV and four of them now use SHV because they are cheapskates and don't want deal with replacing it during their lifetimes. There were a couple Vortex scopes and a Leupold MK4 that failed on them so they put reliability #1 and budget #2. It left them with SHV. In no situation hunting with them have I ever thought, well, you could have made that shot if you only spent the extra money on the NXS/NX8/MK5/Etc.

Long range snobs like me will go on and on about features, etc. Feel free to ignore us and get out of the paralysis of analysis. There is no perfect scope unless you tighten down the criteria. If you simply crank down your budget, IMO you really are left with the SHV if you prioritize and require the highest reliability. Have you ever seen the Nightforce torture test where they use the scope as a hammer and throw it back and forth on the range?

One other option is maybe the Horus scopes. They are basically the SHV scope built by NF with a little different specs but they come with Horus reticles. I did a review of the scope for Long Range Only.
What’s a SWFA SHV? 😅 FrankenScope?

Huntsalot

FNG
In my opinion, skip the NX8. It only looks nice on paper. In application, they’ve got too much zoom in too small a package. The end result is an incredibly finicky eye box. I thought it was virtually unusable. There was some tunneling also. I want a scope that is easy to get behind. Especially for hunting where positions are not always ideal. Nonstarter for me.

I have an NX-8 and love it so far. I wouldn't necessarily skip over it, at least hold one and look through it. Feelings towards a scope are very subjective.