Lightweight, Durable hunting/range scope

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Had a salesman try to direct me towards NX8 but went 2.5-10NX. Its a superb package and definitely capable for moderate LR.

BjornF16

WKR
In my opinion, skip the NX8. It only looks nice on paper. In application, they’ve got too much zoom in too small a package. The end result is an incredibly finicky eye box. I thought it was virtually unusable. There was some tunneling also. I want a scope that is easy to get behind. Especially for hunting where positions are not always ideal. Nonstarter for me.
I have an NX-8 and love it so far. I wouldn't necessarily skip over it, at least hold one and look through it. Feelings towards a scope are very subjective.
I like my NX8 as well. We ish I’d gone with 4-32 though

If you’re good with SFP, get the NXS 2.5-10…it’s a great scope.

If you must have FFP and want the reliability that NF brings, AND can afford an NX8, then go with 4-32x50 for a little more generous eyebox over the 2.5-20x50.

The NX8 is a few ounces lighter than the 4-14 SHV…are those ounces and zero stop worth the extra cash? For some, yes. For others, not so much

Have you spent time behind any of the others? If so how does it compare optically?

Yes, that is fair. I guess ill have to just take a look at 10 power and see how it looks to 1000 and go from there. this is the hardest part about the "perfect" scope, it is mostly opinionated.
I’ve spent time behind most every scope you listed aside from the Vortex and Trijicon. While I liked the NF’s enough, I wasn’t pleased with the SHV optical clarity and sold it to a buddy. They also don’t make a reticle that I loved. For me Bushnell just checked the most boxes for a hunting/long range target scope. I like the turrets, I like it being MIL/MIL, and I like the ability to have 18x zoom when I’m shooting steel at 1,000 yards. I’m also a fan of smaller objectives and 44mm is my limit. As others have said, scopes are a personal thing.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not gonna be the one to tell you not to get a NF SHV but the Leu Mark 5 is what’s on my primary rifle. I also own several VX-6HDs (the 1-6x, the 2-12x, and the 4-24x) and love them all.

OP
V
Thank you all who have had input. The top of my list is NXS at the moment, I'll have to look more into the Leupold MK5 as well but the price is quite steep, especially new. All though still undecided, some of the others mentioned have me wondering if they'd be a better option but being that glass is subjective I think I'll just go insane.

OP
V
I’ve spent time behind most every scope you listed aside from the Vortex and Trijicon. While I liked the NF’s enough, I wasn’t pleased with the SHV optical clarity and sold it to a buddy. They also don’t make a reticle that I loved. For me Bushnell just checked the most boxes for a hunting/long range target scope. I like the turrets, I like it being MIL/MIL, and I like the ability to have 18x zoom when I’m shooting steel at 1,000 yards. I’m also a fan of smaller objectives and 44mm is my limit. As others have said, scopes are a personal thing.
There is a 3-12 LRHS currently for sale, might have to make an offer and see what I think. I really like the Vortex LHT 4.5-22 but I just do not trust the durability, other than that and the tree reticle it is almost perfect. Oh and the stupid button for illumination, I definitely like a knob to turn vs clicking that. But at the end of the day, it's the durability I worry about most. That is why I'm considering moving on from it, I couldn't imagine paying that much and having a miss due to a little drop or bump.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I have run the NXS 2.5-10 and now SHV 3-10. The NXS I had used the older capped turrets which I prefer for hunting to not have to worry about spinning a turret when hiking with the rifle. I have had this happen to me before with another scope and would have missed a shot had I not checked before firing.

I did not like the MOAR reticle in the NXS as it's so thin that it gets lost easily in dim light or dark backgrounds so I sold it. In hindsight this was a mistake as they don't make capped models any more!

So now I'm back to the SHV 3-10 for the size and weight and capped turrets. It does have the MOAR reticle but I'd prefer the Forceplex if I bought again (wasn't available when I bought).

The scope glass compares basically identical to the NXS from what I've seen. Under 1000 yards I shoot in the 6-8x range with most hunting shots at 4-6X to maintain field of view even at longer ranges. The glass is perfectly fine for these ranges and I've never had an issue even in lower light.

I basically did not get the NXS this time because it has exposed elevation and windage turrets. Again I've shot tons of long range and can't imagine anyone would be spinning windage on a SFP 2.5-10 scope so much that you'd want it exposed. It should be capped. For that matter, I'd prefer the elevation capped or at least locking on a hunting scope for the same reason. It's just one more thing to go wrong under pressure if they get spun and you don't notice for some reason or another.

With SHV, I normally set it about 2MOA high for walking around which gives a MBPR of almost 300 yards. Anything further than that I usually have time to uncap and dial after ranging and checking my dope card. So the capped turrets may not be as big a hindrance as you think. Also I think caps keep out a lot of potential for water or damage if dropped vs. exposed dials.

I have recently looked at the LRHS, but the weight is more than I want. However it does have a good reputation and would be worth considering as well.

Like you, I picked the NF basically because I've never had a problem with them on any rifle and have put thousands of rounds through some rifles wearing the scopes. I don't care about great warranty service if the scope blows a hunt. When it comes to the NXS vs. SHV I think it mainly comes down to if you really want the exposed dials and potentially more rugged construction of the NXS, although the SHV is extremely solid and I've shot a bunch with it and it always holds zero.

OP
V
I have run the NXS 2.5-10 and now SHV 3-10. The NXS I had used the older capped turrets which I prefer for hunting to not have to worry about spinning a turret when hiking with the rifle. I have had this happen to me before with another scope and would have missed a shot had I not checked before firing.

I did not like the MOAR reticle in the NXS as it's so thin that it gets lost easily in dim light or dark backgrounds so I sold it. In hindsight this was a mistake as they don't make capped models any more!

So now I'm back to the SHV 3-10 for the size and weight and capped turrets. It does have the MOAR reticle but I'd prefer the Forceplex if I bought again (wasn't available when I bought).

The scope glass compares basically identical to the NXS from what I've seen. Under 1000 yards I shoot in the 6-8x range with most hunting shots at 4-6X to maintain field of view even at longer ranges. The glass is perfectly fine for these ranges and I've never had an issue even in lower light.

I basically did not get the NXS this time because it has exposed elevation and windage turrets. Again I've shot tons of long range and can't imagine anyone would be spinning windage on a SFP 2.5-10 scope so much that you'd want it exposed. It should be capped. For that matter, I'd prefer the elevation capped or at least locking on a hunting scope for the same reason. It's just one more thing to go wrong under pressure if they get spun and you don't notice for some reason or another.

With SHV, I normally set it about 2MOA high for walking around which gives a MBPR of almost 300 yards. Anything further than that I usually have time to uncap and dial after ranging and checking my dope card. So the capped turrets may not be as big a hindrance as you think. Also I think caps keep out a lot of potential for water or damage if dropped vs. exposed dials.

I have recently looked at the LRHS, but the weight is more than I want. However it does have a good reputation and would be worth considering as well.

Like you, I picked the NF basically because I've never had a problem with them on any rifle and have put thousands of rounds through some rifles wearing the scopes. I don't care about great warranty service if the scope blows a hunt. When it comes to the NXS vs. SHV I think it mainly comes down to if you really want the exposed dials and potentially more rugged construction of the NXS, although the SHV is extremely solid and I've shot a bunch with it and it always holds zero
I really wish the SHV had a MIL reticle or the 4-14 wasn't 30 oz, MOA is not my thing. I'll have to do some drop tests with my vortex if it doesn't hold zero from 36" I'll be looking at NF or LRHS. I'd rather have durability than features. I think the NXS has everything but the power on the high end and FFP. I Would love to see a 20 oz NXS with a 3-12x42/44 ..OR.. 3.5-14x42/44..OR.. 4-16 x 42/44 over the 2.5-10 (personal opinion)

Kurts86

WKR
I think the NXS has everything but the power on the high end and FFP. I Would love to see a 20 oz NXS with a 3-12x42/44 ..OR.. 3.5-14x42/44..OR.. 4-16 x 42/44 over the 2.5-10 (personal opinion)

I think there is a big opportunity in the hunting market for Nightforce to split the feature difference on the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the NX8 series with capped windage, a 5x or 6x erector and a 42mm objective with slight improvements to the illumination or the FFP reticle designs at low magnification.

I have both an NX8 2.5-20 and a NXS 2.5-10 and I objectively feel that most everything about the NX8 is a generational improvement (as intended) over the smaller older NXS but the size and form factor end up not being close with 1/2 lb weight difference between the two. The NX8 ends up being just big and heavy enough it feels off on a lightweight hunting rifle with intended uses out to 500 yards or so for me.

OP
V
I think there is a big opportunity in the hunting market for Nightforce to split the feature difference on the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the NX8 series with capped windage, a 5x or 6x erector and a 42mm objective with slight improvements to the illumination or the FFP reticle designs at low magnification.

It would be awesome to see more companies making durable scopes in the 5-6x that are lightweight and ffp, I think it's only a matter of time.

I'll add another vote for the LRHS. IIRC, the 3-12 is only 2 ounces more than a lit SHV 3-10. I started using the LRHS because I really liked the reticle, and I've just kept liking them and the LRTS's more and more over time. They are tough. They dial reliably. The glass is good. Shame they discontinued the 3-12's, but l own a couple of the larger models as well, and they are also great scopes.

The SHV or NXS 3-10's would also be good options. I run a few SHV 3-10's. I've dialed them a ton and they've all been top notch. I don't mind the capped turrets and actually like them for certain set ups. I also think the SHV F1 is a fine scope, but for 600 yds, I can't imagine that you'll feel like you don't have enough X with a 10x. Further, I'd happily loose 8-10 ounces on a scope for a sheep hunt. Same thought process with the NX8. I think they are a great optic. Sure, you give up some things optically to get a lot of features shoe horned into a small package, but it's still a versatile scope that does a lot of things well. But on a sheep rifle, I'd go SHV or NXS 3-10 all day for the weight savings.

They're hard to come by these days, but the 3-9 HD SWFA might be a great option, too. It's light. It's rugged. It's FFP with a darn fine general use big game hunting reticle. Glass is also good. I run a plastic cap over the windage, and I shim the elevation for zero stop on mine. The 6x SWFA would also be a good option due to it being lighter weight than some other options listed. They're rugged and repeatable dialers. They're also a great value, so you buy more ammo and get more practice.

Last edited:
That's the only review I have actually seen. Might have to give it a try. Is there a difference in glass quality from the credo compared to the Tenmile?
Same glass with the Credo and Tenmile, it's kinda silly how trijicon broke them down like that..
What's not silly is what an amazing scope they're making at that price point, I have a Credo 4-16x50 and have run it hard over the past few months out past 1300 yards.
I just did a tall target test after hundreds of rounds fired, and tracking/return to zero is dead on.
I'm an optics snob and have owned a few vx5s, mk5s, an NX8 4-32 (hated that scope), vortex AMG, and currently a March FX 4.5-28.
I'm seriously super impressed with the Trijicon in every category.
I don't think I'll buy anything else going forward, aside from maybe the LRHS2.

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
Same glass with the Credo and Tenmile, it's kinda silly how trijicon broke them down like that..
What's not silly is what an amazing scope they're making at that price point, I have a Credo 4-16x50 and have run it hard over the past few months out past 1300 yards.
I just did a tall target test after hundreds of rounds fired, and tracking/return to zero is dead on.
I'm an optics snob and have owned a few vx5s, mk5s, an NX8 4-32 (hated that scope), vortex AMG, and currently a March FX 4.5-28.
Thank you for the response. I'm pretty set on the tenmile. Looks like dark lord of optics is currently testing it. Look forward to hearing his thoughts on the scope as well.

OP
V

Hmm that’s interesting to see maybe I’ll go look at one. I know they are cheaper in price then most… do you find that treed reticle to much when illuminated?

Hmm that’s interesting to see maybe I’ll go look at one. I know they are cheaper in price then most… do you find that treed reticle to much when illuminated?
Mine isn't a Christmas tree reticle it's the red center dot moa, very usable in low light against dark backgrounds.
The brightness is adjustable so it doesn't wash out the image at all

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
It would be awesome to see more companies making durable scopes in the 5-6x that are lightweight and ffp, I think it's only a matter of time.
My wish list for hunting scope that dials:

- Absolutely holds zero no matter what. Not only drops, but vibration from being rattled around in the back of a vehicle, helicopter or jet boat.
- Accurate dialing with absolute return to zero every time.
- Scope mag range like 2-10X, 3-12x, 4-16X or maybe 4-20X are plenty for hunting and field use.
- FFP preferred.
- 40-44mm objective.
- A reticle that does not require illumination if in a dim or dark background. Many FFP and wind/elevation hold reticles work poorly in bad lighting or low magnification.
- Reasonable glass that most ED scopes today can more than exceed. Don't go crazy and drive the weight/price of the scope up with elaborate and expensive lens arrangements.
- No more 8X+ mag range scopes. They are compromises that sacrifice bottom end and top end with parallax and critical eye relief issues.
- Capped windage. On a hunting scope uncapped windage can only lead to sorrow.
- Locking elevation. I want to set the scope at a 2-3 inches above zero when walking and be able to dial quickly if needed to make a shot. I don't want a dial spinning by accident.
- 20 ozs. max.

Last edited:
My wish list for hunting scope that dials:

- Absolutely holds zero no matter what. Not only drops, but vibration from being rattled around in the back of a vehicle, helicopter or jet boat.
- Accurate dialing with absolute return to zero every time.
- Scope mag range like 2-10X, 3-12x, 4-16X or maybe 4-20X are plenty for hunting and field use.
- FFP preferred.
- 40-44mm objective.
- A reticle that does not require illumination if in a dim or dark background. Many FFP and wind/elevation hold reticles work poorly in bad lighting or low magnification.
- Reasonable glass that most ED scopes today can more than exceed. Don't go crazy and drive the weight/price of the scope up with elaborate and expensive lens arrangements.
- No more 8X+ mag range scopes. They are compromises that sacrifice bottom end and top end with parallax and critical eye relief issues.
- Capped windage. On a hunting scope uncapped windage can only lead to sorrow.
- Locking elevation. I want to set the scope at a 2-3 inches above zero when walking and be able to dial quickly if needed to make a shot. I don't want a dial spinning by accident.
- 20 ozs. max.

The scope that meets those criteria is otherwise known as the Unicorn Edition.

The 3-12 LRHS is as close as I've found to hitting most of those criteria. It doesn't have a locking elevation and it's slightly more than 20 oz. But it does check the three boxes that seem most difficult to line up: reliable dialing, solid zero retention, well thought out reticle that's usable throughout the X range without being lit.