Lightweight Bivy

IdahoGoat

FNG
I have been out on many day hunts were I wished I was slightly more prepared for an unexpected overnight. Looking for a lightweight tent or bivy option that I can just keep in my pack for sunup to sundown day hunts that could on occasion turn into overnighters. Any suggestions? I have an older alps mountaineering lynx that is over 4 pounds (need to upgrade that as well but another discussion) which I use for planned backpack multi day hunts.

hikenhunt

WKR
I have a mountain laurel design superlight bivy that is 7 ounces. I've used it on short overnight trips when I knew it would be dry and I've also thrown it in my pack for exactly what you're talking about, the just-in-case overnight trip.

Wrench

WKR
The thermal conduction is what's going to get you.....you gotta get off the ground.

mlgc20

WKR
If budget isn’t a major concern, take a look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum. Weighs less than most bivy setups. But, gives much more protection. I’ve had one for about 7 years and it has held up very well.

I have contemplated making a bivy that uses waterproof silk nylon material for the lower half, and eVent or some other WP/B fabric for the top. I don’t really see any benefit to a bivy that still requires a tarp for camping in drying conditions but might have a chance of rain.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
I run the OR Helium with the UL big Agnes mummy cut pad. Lightweight and packs down small.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like a lightweight tarp + lightweight bivy would be a good combination, assuming you've still got a sleeping bag/quilt and pad, as this system wouldn't keep you warm, just protected. Flat tarps can be pitched many ways, but require a little practice.

Something like this Ali Express Tarp plus a Borah bivy would make for a lightweight, compact pair, and be an easy setup. This setup benefits from a trekking pole or two, but they also help in tough terrain.

What type of climate are you dealing with on these possible overnighters? If temps are close to freezing, you're going to want an insulated pad and quilt. If below zero, I'd get a quality bag instead of quilt.

Down packs smaller and is lighter weight for the warmth, but loses loft when it gets wet. High end down bags can resist quite a bit of moisture before collapsing, and would likely last you for the one night. I also like the fact that down lasts a long time if taken care of. Synthetics seem to break down inevitably.

OP
I

IdahoGoat

FNG
I am thinking both for september archery and october rifle hunts. I generally hunt in the 6,000 to 9,000 ft elevation range and can be below freezing especially in October. Not looking for the ultimate in confort, just something that will get me through the night and allow some sleep maybe once or twice a year.

I put together a small package that includes everything I need for a very comfortable nights sleep (shelter, ground cloth, quilt, pad, and pillow), in probably all but the most miserable conditions ie., bitter cold, and or blowing snow, etc. it weighs less than 40 oz. and fits in the lid of my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put together a small package that includes everything I need for a very comfortable nights sleep (shelter, ground cloth, quilt, pad, and pillow), in probably all but the most miserable conditions ie., bitter cold, and or blowing snow, etc. it weighs less than 40 oz. and fits in the lid of my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, what shelter?

rbljack

WKR
I have been looking at this option as well. I want to keep it fairly light and its mainly a emergency or overnight option if something goes down and I need to stay in the area. I have a bivy option in mind, or my supertarp and annex with a Tyvek ground sheet. I purchased the FL puffy Pants last year to wear when needed instead of wearing long underwear. My thought is I could go with the Bivy, a Tyvek ground sheet under that (which also serves as a shade tarp when needed, or a ground cloth to process meat on) and use my puffy pants and jacket for insulation. Between that and a fire nearby, im wondering if that would be enough, and keep the weight down. The supertarp is my second option, and will be my choice if its myself and the wife on a hunt together.
The bivy is about 18 oz, the puffy pants are about the same im guessing. The Tyvek ground sheet is about 5 oz, and those are the three components that would be "extra" carry items. The puffy jacket is always in the pack, I have a neck gaiter and one extra FL layer that can be made into a pillow as well, and those are always in the pack if needed. I also have a ridgerest pad that is cut in half and I use it for glassing. it would be the makeshift sleep mat I guess. Not ideal, but using those items keeps the weight down and gives me the option to stay if I had to anyways.

Goathunter, can you provide more details on your set up please? at 40 oz, that's sounds like a pretty good set up for the weight to comfort ratio!!

Last edited:

accumax

FNG
I have a 2goSystems Velar bivy. Its made of Tyvek and has an aluminum (heat reflective) lining on the inside. It weighs roughly 12 ounces and I can fit my sleeping pad and sleeping bag comfortably inside. The aluminum lining can help raise the temperature 15-20 degrees inside the bivy so I pack my lighter weight sleeping bag. The Velar has a bug mesh over your face which helps a lot in early season treks. I also have the 2go systems trifecta bivy which is larger than the Velar, and opens up into a small tarp as well. Both the Velar and the Trifecta are reasonably priced and are very well made. I definitely recommend checking them out.