Lightning in the back country

Last week, I was out scouting when storms blew up. We were near the truck and were safely in the truck before it really got started.

But, next week, we will be out in the backcountry, 2.5 miles from the truck at a spike camp. This will be my first time doing a hike in hunt and camping in the field.

I’ve read some of the tips about lightning while hiking.

I’m hoping that those with experience can share experience or knowledge around staying safe during afternoon or evening storms that tend to blow up in the mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
Be done with the high points before noon, stay off of high points, get below timberlline and other exposed points during storms. It looks like the monsoon is mostly over so there should be less lightning by archery season.

If you get caught out in lightning and choose to shelter in place, do not sit on the ground without a conducive barrier of some sort.

The majority of lightning deaths are not through direct strike but conductive transfer

Marble

WKR
Can you give examples of conductive barriers?

I just normally set my rifle 100 yards from camp if I'm rifle hunting and then go relax. Im too far from anywhere to go do anything that would get me away from the storm.

Conductive barrier can be anything non conductive from your camp pad, to your pack, to the soles of your boots.

No need to leave your rifle that far from you has it’s really not enough of a lightning draw.

The absolute worst place to be is on granite. Most granite has a fairly high iron content and is fairly conductive. I know of three guys who work together on the granite peak when lightning struck. Two were sitting and were killed, the other was squatting and only the soles of his boots were in contact with the mountain and he lived.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice here. If at all possible, get below treeline immediately. Don't want to be the biggest thing on the mountain.

OP
silverbullet555
It makes me a bit nervous. Our camp is in a burn in the valley a few thousand feet below the peaks on both sides. The peaks are above treeline.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don’t be the tallest thing on the mountain when the storms roll through. Crouch in a catchers position on the balls of your feet if you get stuck in a bad spot.

Thoughts on being in a tent vs no tent?

The support poles of a shelter, whether carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium, etc, all conduct electricity—though CF less so than the straight metals.

It hasn’t happened to me yet, but my plan has been to take my tarp, go to a bushy area, squeeze in, and drape the tarp over me as best I can.

We always hunker down in a thicket start a fire and ride the storm out.
Have witnessed more than one tree struck by lightning within view.
It sucks the air right out of your lungs and makes you shake and piddle down
your leg like a scared puppy! Where we camp,sometimes the clouds are so low
that we are looking down the ridge and can see the lightning strike below us into
the forest canopy.Lightning is a scary thing,especially during monsoon season in
Az.(Archery Deer Season)Best to find a local pub,swill beer and watch pre-season NFL. :cool:

Mt Al

WKR
I hate lightning! Freaks me out. First sign of dark clouds, I'm off the high points, down in the trees. I pick a kind of high "ridge" or spot vs. down in a draw. Flash floods are insane.

The info about granite is new to me, thank you.

I have the MyRadar app on my phone and use it religiously to see storm tracks and build up. Be advised: there are more radar shadows than we realize, not all storms show up.

As a kid in the Beartooths we rode out way too many summer lightening storms. No likey.

Poser

WKR
I ride bikes in the high country most every weekend between whenever the snow melts enough through mid September. Particularly in august, daily storms are almost guaranteed. Good thing about a bike is that you can sometimes out run a storm, but I’ve been strung out miles from the nearest tree numerous times. I tend to get as low as I can, but also try and stay away from granite as I’ve seen lightening explode rocks.

Last month I was on an exposed ridge in the evening glassing for mule deer. Turned on my phone and wouldn't you know it had signal, so I thought I'd take a picture to send it to a friend. As I was waiting for the pic to send there was a flash of cloud-to-cloud lightning right above me. I grabbed my ish and ran straight down hill as fast as I could, hopping and stumbling over boulders until I was in the trees. The elevation chart on my Garmin watch looked like I fell off a cliff. I feel safe once I'm in the trees.

All good advice here. I was in a wilderness first aid class and the girl next to me had friends who were evacuated from the Tetons by helicopter after the worst lighting day on record. Something like 20 people were hit that day. She had pictures where they had severe burns from watches and exit wounds on their feet the size of nickles where the current blew out.

I know another guy who took enough ground current to knock him out while they were hiding in a cave.

I always try to get down where the trees are about even height. You don't want to be hunkered under the tallest spruce on the ridge.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest thing is don't freak out and hurt yourself running down a mountain. Lightning happens, its something to respect, but your chances of being struck are slim. Slow and steady to a safe spot, wait out the storm, carry on with whatever you were doing.

street

WKR
Insulating material between you and the ground, and getting off the top of the peak is your best strategy.

In Ideal situation you would actually be off the ground. The reason lightning hits the highest points(and conductors) is because it's the least resistive path from the clouds to the earth. I would definitely stay away from granite like was already mentioned.

wyosam

WKR
Off the ground is a great point. Relaxing in a hammock with a rainfly listening to a thunderstorm in the mountains actually sounds like a pretty good way to spend an afternoon to me!

All great advice. I always get down into trees that are taller than me, but I like the idea of a conductive barrier.

Dove hunting in Central Az, in my Uncles Cotton field which he
floods every Sept. 1st to keep people from trampling his crops.
A monsoon storm moves in shooting lightning everywhere.We all
run for the truck,but one guy way out there is still running back
through the muck.Lightning strikes about 200yds away straight into
the field full of water.Drops him like a sack of taters!We all go running out to
him and he's back on his feet and moving again.Back at the truck he's
ok just numb all over.Still worried wrap him in a blanket and throw him in
the warm truck.He wants a Beer.He's OK. :cool: