Lighter recoiling elk rifle

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to mention he doesn't reload so he'd be using factory loads. Id guess his 270 is between 9-10 lbs. And his current rifles are not threaded and he wants a suppressor. And I think he just wants a new toy. Haha. He has a 243 but I think it's a bit light for elk. I was thinking about a 7mm-08 but having not shot one I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help so far guys
Another vote here for a 7mm-08. I’d consider myself recoil sensitive and have no issues with that cartridge. One thing to keep in mind is that stock design can make a big impact on felt recoil. Even some of the bigger rounds mentioned can be a pleasure to shoot with a good stock, but with the wrong stock they can be a lot harder to handle.

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
My father just did the same thing, after having both shoulders rebuilt his 300 mag wast too much to take, he landed on a winchester xpr sr in 308 win, topped with a trijicon huron 2.5-10 and a otter creek polonium30 suppressor, 9lbs all in

tdhanses

WKR
It's all relative, but my 300WM suppressed is very manageable on recoil. My 6.5CM suppressed is basically recoilless. Also could look at an AR-10 in .308. It suppressed would be smooth too.
Problem with an AR-10 in .308 or 6.5cm, they all are heavy, I’d never hunt with mine when I can take a lighter rifle.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d suggest 6.5 cm if you reload and can load it for the heaviest bullet and he only takes perfect shots, otherwise I’d go with a .308 and still reload and get some 215’s slinging at slower speeds and limit range.

Factory ammo I think both 6.5cm and .308 feel the same recoil wise.

I like my 6.5cm but can’t see ever using it on elk while I have a 30 cal.

mtnbound

WKR
My dad is looking to get a new rifle for elk. He's in his seventies now and would like a rifle/cartridge that is lighter recoiling but still good on elk. To give a bit of context he can shoot a .270 fine but a 30-06 is too much. He's looking for a couple things:
-Lighter on recoil
-Not too heavy so he can still carry it in the mountains
-threaded so he can use a suppressor.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys
6CM would be my first choice, my second would probably be 6MM ARC, and my third would be a 6.5 PRC.