Light weight fixed angle knife sharpener?

In the past I’ve used replaceable blade style knifes. I finally spent a decent amount on a knife and wanted to see what’s the best way to sharpen it while in the field? I have essentially no experience sharpening with a stone so I’m concerned about changing the blade angle

It’s carbon steel that came from the long, two person manual wood mill saw blade. Not sure I want to use those cheap pull through knife sharpeners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's sacrilegious, but I just carry a cheap drag-through and try not to need it. Usually I don't have to but from time to time a couple quick drags to touch it up helps a lot and then I can properly sharpen it when I get home. The one I use is a cheapie for fillet knives and it's maybe all of 1oz, might not even be an oz.

OP
T
Is my concern of changing blade angle via a stone a valid concern?

And for carbon steel, should it last quartering a whole animal (assuming you don’t hit a lot of bone)?

alexnelon

FNG
Is my concern of changing blade angle via a stone a valid concern?

And for carbon steel, should it last quartering a whole animal (assuming you don’t hit a lot of bone)?

Depends on the heat treat. I’ve seen so many expensive “custom” knives either dull quickly or chip the edge. Only way to find out is to use it hard.

It’s 100% going to rust though so be ready to solve that problem.

wesfromky

WKR

OP
T
Depends on the heat treat. I’ve seen so many expensive “custom” knives either dull quickly or chip the edge. Only way to find out is to use it hard.

It’s 100% going to rust though so be ready to solve that problem.

I may have one of those “custom” knifes that are less than ideal lol. Did zero research, bought in a in person because it was pretty cool and made at a one man shop in AL. The blade is fairly thin…

Mine is the more standard knife design

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider

have you used this one yet? I am interested in picking it up but I'd like to hear form folks and their experience with it before i pull the trigger

fmyth

WKR
I've been using one of these DMT Diasharps. Works great and is ultra light at .64ozs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-20 at 8.11.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-20 at 8.11.03 AM.png
    193 KB · Views: 9

wesfromky

WKR
have you used this one yet? I am interested in picking it up but I'd like to hear form folks and their experience with it before i pull the trigger
I have had it for a month or so now? No real heavy use, but it did a nice job touching up my broadheads after shooting into foam to tune. The BH wrench is a nice bonus, and it is super light.

OP
T
I have had it for a month or so now? No real heavy use, but it did a nice job touching up my broadheads after shooting into foam to tune. The BH wrench is a nice bonus, and it is super light.

How does someone not change the angle of a knife blade when free hand sharpening?

cjdewese

WKR
How does someone not change the angle of a knife blade when free hand sharpening?

What I have realized is that you don't have to be perfect, just be aware of what you are trying to do. As you do it more, it will get better.

I find that having a leather strop, or taking the time to do it on your belt or jeans a few times makes a big difference as well.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider

Consistency matters more than the exact angle, 15 vs 17 vs 20 degrees. Developing the skill of free hand sharpening with a small stone takes some time, but is well worth it and yields a better result than those pull through options that absolutely change the geometry of the edge.

One of my favorites is a Fallkniven CC4 ceramic stone that has a coarse and a fine side and a leather sleeve that I use as a strop in the field. It weighs about 2 oz and costs around $25.

wesfromky

WKR

As others have noted, doesn't need to be perfect. This sharpener has some angle guides to help though. I like my sharpmaker for knives at home, but this is nice for broadheads and to toss in my truck if I need to resharpen while hunting.

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
As others have noted, doesn't need to be perfect. This sharpener has some angle guides to help though. I like my sharpmaker for knives at home, but this is nice for broadheads and to toss in my truck if I need to resharpen while hunting.
Agreed, the Spyderco Sharpmaker is great for home use, at the truck, or a base camp. It simplifies angles and I'd highly recommend it to the OP, just not for backcountry field use.

OP
T

When you say ankle guides, do you mean this angle showed in yellow? So lay the blade against the orange plastic to get the angle?

0490562e4005e7f2c814f08b89a7dda5.jpg

^Yes those are the angle guides.

I have the similar one that's been around a while and I like it but it's bigger than I like for packing around with me so I don't use it often. I keep it in the truck or at base camp but usually if I want more than a few emergency swipes from the drag through then I've already gone through an animal and just wait to sharpen proper when I get home. It's not a bad sharpener though. https://www.worksharptools.com/products/guided-field-sharpener