Light weight fixed angle knife sharpener?

In the past I’ve used replaceable blade style knifes. I finally spent a decent amount on a knife and wanted to see what’s the best way to sharpen it while in the field? I have essentially no experience sharpening with a stone so I’m concerned about changing the blade angle

It’s carbon steel that came from the long, two person manual wood mill saw blade. Not sure I want to use those cheap pull through knife sharpeners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's sacrilegious, but I just carry a cheap drag-through and try not to need it. Usually I don't have to but from time to time a couple quick drags to touch it up helps a lot and then I can properly sharpen it when I get home. The one I use is a cheapie for fillet knives and it's maybe all of 1oz, might not even be an oz.

OP
T
Is my concern of changing blade angle via a stone a valid concern?

And for carbon steel, should it last quartering a whole animal (assuming you don’t hit a lot of bone)?

alexnelon

FNG
Is my concern of changing blade angle via a stone a valid concern?

And for carbon steel, should it last quartering a whole animal (assuming you don’t hit a lot of bone)?

Depends on the heat treat. I’ve seen so many expensive “custom” knives either dull quickly or chip the edge. Only way to find out is to use it hard.

It’s 100% going to rust though so be ready to solve that problem.

wesfromky

WKR

OP
T
Depends on the heat treat. I’ve seen so many expensive “custom” knives either dull quickly or chip the edge. Only way to find out is to use it hard.

It’s 100% going to rust though so be ready to solve that problem.

I may have one of those “custom” knifes that are less than ideal lol. Did zero research, bought in a in person because it was pretty cool and made at a one man shop in AL. The blade is fairly thin…

Mine is the more standard knife design