Light weight base camp tent...fast setup?

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a new base camp tent for sleeping at the truck. Would like to have room for a couple cots and gear. First priority would be fast setup and take down. What do you guys think?
If you want to cry once and are looking at a lifetime type investment tent, check out Snow Trekker's website. Their tents are canvas with high quality interior Easton aluminum frames, an ingenious guy-out system, pack up and store small, lightweight, go up fast, and will withstand very strong storms. They have been making them for serious winter campers since the early 90's. A fraction of the weight of most canvas tents. Mine is 13x13 with 9 1/2 ft to the ridge-will fit 3-4 cots, woodstove, etc., and the canvas weighs 22 lbs. Give Jonah at Snow Trekker a call.

CasNed

FNG
Browning glacier 4 person, 4 stakes for the rain fly. Fastest / easiest set up I’ve found for moving a lot on a hunt. Two cots and a buddy heater fit well. I’ve ran this set up to -30 with a buddy heater and it kept it 50 degrees in the tent.

But it will probably be one night and move to new area.
I've used both the Kodiak Flexbow 10x14 and the Snowtrekker/WRTL. Both are similar setup time of about 15 minutes and both would be a great base camp truck tent.

Generally I prefer to use it if staying 2 nights or more. If just one night and early enough season there's very little time in the tent, then I prefer sleeping in the truck. If later and cold, then could understand setting it up for a night, but even at 15minutes setup, honestly think it could get old after a while. That said, these two are about as fast as you can get while still having the luxury of space, durability, heating options and comfort.

Kodiak is MUCH less expensive, can run the Buddy heater (but highly recommend separate co2 alarm for extra safety) but my experience was the propane heat from the buddy heater didn't dry out clothes very well. It's much heavier than the Snowtrekker, but super thick canvas and floor. If you go this route, highly recommend using extra long lag bolts and a drill/impact gun to put in the 16 stakes as it goes WAY faster.

Snowtrekker/WRTL is much more compact and lighter. I don't have experience, but I'm guessing the design of the walls will fare better in high winds. It is quite the long term investment as they're not cheap, but hopefully should last a lifetime if well cared for.

Good luck and enjoy.

s

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Any particular reason why you need the tent? Sleeping pad on the ground and sleeping bag is the easiest and quickest.

For those of you that use bigger wall style tents such as the Flex bow, what's the general use case? Are you setting these up at the trailhead near your truck? Parking on a random FS/access road and setting up? Do you feel comfortable leaving them unattended with cots and other gear inside when away for the day or spiking?

Someone may have already posted it, but there is nothing faster than a gazelle tent. I love mine, but not lightweight and pretty bulky. I can have it set up in probably 3 minutes.

CMF

WKR
How light weight you talking?
Doesn't get much quicker than a basic dome tent... we only do extra guy lines when expecting weather.
We usually use a Coleman evanston 8p dome tent,(23lbs if I remember) it has a screen porch which is nice to cover some gear and it's usually wife and 3kids. 3 adults with cots/airmattress is comfortable. They make a 6p similar tent.
If we're going lighter we just use backpacking tents which is a Durston xmid 2 and a blacktail 3p.