Light vs Heavy Arrow real life trajectory experiment

LostArra

WKR
This is really a crazy discussion only because we all don't shoot the same bow so your experience with arrows of varying weight will be different and in some cases, very different

My conclusion from the video is that he has a very nice bow that handles arrows of varying weight extremely well. We all aren't so lucky.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
Seeing the exaggerated trajectory of the heavier arrow is beneficial for shots in the woods where limbs and other things might get in its way.

Whatever setup you choose, it’s good to know it’s limitations.

Happy hunting this season everybody!

Beendare

WKR
I used to be one of those guys seriously invested in my heavy arrow choice. No more.

Accuracy and shot location is even more important with a Trad bow.

I went through the exercise of examining the supposed advantages of a heavy arrow:

1) A heavy arrow makes your bow quieter
2) arrow penetration improves as you go up in weight

Both true BUT…when my recurve is pretty darn quiet ALREADY….and a 400g+ arrow with a sharp 2 blade blows through critters effortlessly….I don’t NEED a 700g arrow to kill critters.

Now it becomes a matter of which arrow has the best combination of trajectory and accuracy Combined with my Aiming System.

My 3D scores improve significantly going from a 160fps arrow ( LB) to my 190+fps recurve arrow. Its all due to better trajectory. Part of that is a smaller gap at mid range Arc 20-25y shots which could be solved in other ways while still using a heavy arrow.

It was a worthy exercise for me….eye opener for sure. Now it will screw you up at first if you are calibrated to a 170fps arc but my bet is your accuracy improves- mine did.

GLB

WKR
There are diminishing returns with a too light and too heavy arrows. As I had posted earlier I like a certain trajectory that my brain can work with. For me that is an arrow that is around 11.5-12.5 grns per pound. That keeps my arrow tip close to the body of deer size game at the distances I would shoot them at.

I experimented with some lighter arrows in the 9 grns per pound and could not shoot well with that trajectory. Holding 14” below where I wanted the arrow to go mentally was difficult to do. It may be that I’m not a true gap shooter even though I am using my arrow point. I don’t use a hard aim but I have a certain sight picture at the distances I shoot.

It’s never been I need more speed (lighter arrow) or I need more penetration (heavier arrow) it’s all about the trajectory that works with my brain.

GLB

WKR
Here is a good example of what I do to tune for trajectory. I got this new to me bow about 2 weeks ago and in the process to finish my setup with it. I have wood and aluminum arrows flying well out of it. I like a 25 yard +- point on and build arrows to achieve that. That lets me keep my arrow point very close to if not on a deers body at the ranges I hunt in.

In the picture I used one aiming point (orange tape) that would represent the bottom of a deers chest. The target yellow is 10”X10” and represents a vitals hit. I shot this several times. With that current aim point I would make a good hit (all else being good) from 15 to 21 yards without thinking about it.

Also knowing this if I adjust my aim lower so that there is just a slight gap between my arrow and the bottom of the chest I could make good hits out to 23 yards. Also I want to say that I do not hard aim, I use a sight picture. I believe if I used a hard aim I would get different results. Both arrow setups are 600 grains. My point on is probably going to be 26-28 yards on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 16

Beendare

WKR
Good stuff adjusting your PO for the range you are shooting....that always seems to make for better accuracy.

I tried Pick a Point aiming similar to what you are doing aiming at the bottom edge of a critter. I have buddies that do the same with compounds putting their pin on a critters back or belly. It just doesn't work for me- not sure why.

I tried gapping off the tip of my arrow like a pistol sight too- its OK but not as accurate as focusing on the spot I'm shooting at...boring hard into that spot and using peripheral vision to adjust that gap- Gapstinctive- is when I shoot my best.

Last edited:

GLB

WKR
Yep, unless I know the exact yardage, that is how I aim with the bow set up that way. Once I get close to PO and + 5 I have to range it or know for sure to take the shot.