.308 vs 7 SAUM/7 WSM ballistic not so different for hunting inside 500 yards?

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
To answer your bullet question I’d say something between 160-180g. Your idea of 165 is about perfect for a 308.

I use 178g eldx without issue. I’ve only had one bad experience with eldx and that was WAY faster than a 308 will ever be at 3200fps. At 308 speeds out to 500yds I think they’d be perfect. I wish they made a 160 class eldx bullet in 308.
Interesting. So we need someone with experience with eldx and a 308 on medium sized games

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
If you have general mechanical knowledge and access to an action, the remage barrels are an easy 30 min deal.. you mentioned Bergara.. any Rem 700 or clone will do the trick. If you have trouble getting a remage barrel, pm me…
Man i have general mechanical knowledge but i never did anything like this, I am not very confident in the results ahah

But it would be very cool, i could use a tikka or a bergara as a base for the action. I think the bergara action is even a bit better as far as my feeling using it

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 7 SAUM. It and the 7 WSM would be some of the last cartridges I would choose, based on availability of factory ammo and components (brass). The ballistic advantages both cartridges offer are irrelevant if you are constantly searching for brass or ammo. Boutique chambered barrels, barreled actions and firearms are constantly for sale in the classified. There is a reason. Once the cool factor has worn off, its just a pain in the ass to feed the things.
As stated above, I would find a good load .308 load, buy or load it in bulk and call it a day.
Which bullet would you use in 308? Assuming my rifle likes the load of course

Sled

WKR
Last month i went to EOS (the biggest gun show in Italy) and i saw some winchester and remington offerings. The open bolt on a XPR was rattling more than a maracas.. wtf

I agree with your assessment. You should rethink the Tikka but add the stock of your choice.

As for cartridge, it's silly that you have the 7mm restriction but the 308 will do fine. I like speed so I'd size down and push them fast with a projectile that can handle the speed. I would not look at the boutique cartridges unless I was prepared to manufacturer brass for myself in the future. A simple 7mm-08 will do what you want with a better BC if you just want a new gun. A 7mm rem mag will do the same with more kick but a little flatter shooting. It's a shame you can't use a 270win.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with your assessment. You should rethink the Tikka but add the stock of your choice.

As for cartridge, it's silly that you have the 7mm restriction but the 308 will do fine. I like speed so I'd size down and push them fast with a projectile that can handle the speed. I would not look at the boutique cartridges unless I was prepared to manufacturer brass for myself in the future. A simple 7mm-08 will do what you want with a better BC if you just want a new gun. A 7mm rem mag will do the same with more kick but a little flatter shooting. It's a shame you can't use a 270win.
I just checked, i can use 270 on fellow deer but not on red deer.. i could use my 308 if i get a tag for it and use the 270 for my "lomg" range rig.

Yeah maybe i was just looking for a boutique carteidge because they look cool and on paper they are amazing. Why the hell the 7 SAUM didn't have more success.. it looks like the perfect all around medium sized game cartridge

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
They do…165 SST.

My son a cow elk using that bullet from Savage 308; very effective.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use 168 ELD-M, 178 ELD-M, or 178 ELD-X
I have heard very inconsistent reports for the eldx terminal performance.. what's your experience at various hunting distances?

FLS

WKR
Which bullet would you use in 308? Assuming my rifle likes the load of course
165 Game King, 165 Tipped Game King, 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, 165 Accubond, Whatever your rifle likes in that weight class.

BjornF16

WKR
I have heard very inconsistent reports for the eldx terminal performance.. what's your experience at various hunting distances?
The SST and ELD-X share same jacket thickness; just different form factor and tip size. SST may exhibit slightly deeper penetration due to smaller plastic tip size.

400 lb cow elk @ 200 yds with 165 SST (308 Win)

410 lb cow elk @280 yds with 7mm 150 ELD-X (280 Rem).

Many 100-130 lb class deer 50-210 yds with 6.5mm 123/129 SST (6.5 Grendel)

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
165 Game King, 165 Tipped Game King, 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, 165 Accubond, Whatever your rifle likes in that weight class.
Yeah the main thing is that my rifle likes it, that's the most important thing..That said, what are the pros and cons of everyone of these catridges?

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
The SST and ELD-X share same jacket thickness; just different form factor and tip size. SST may exhibit slightly deeper penetration due to smaller plastic tip size.

400 lb cow elk @ 200 yds with 165 SST (308 Win)

410 lb cow elk @280 yds with 7mm 150 ELD-X (280 Rem).

Many 100-130 lb class deer 50-210 yds with 6.5mm 123/129 SST (6.5 Grendel)
There are so many bullet types that is difficult to even decide which one to try first

For shots out to 550 I see absolutely no reason to buy a different cartridge when you currently have a 308. Granted it wouldn't be my first choice it is more than capable to do everything you're asking of it with a good bullet choice. I agree with @wind gypsy just throw a decent scope on the 308 and get to pulling the trigger. The advantages of a magnum within 500 are dismal at best.

z987k

WKR
There are so many bullet types that is difficult to even decide which one to try first
To me the 165+ stuff in 308win is a little slow. In that class I like to stay in the 150-160 range. Or even down to 140 maybe if you're shooting copper.

Nosler ABLR, BT and Accubond should all be on your radar in addition to the Sierra's and Hornady's already mentioned.

For copper Barnes, Hammer and Badlands all have something in a weight appropriate for a 308.

Ive seen mixed reviews on scenars for hunting but it seems the 155 in a 308 is a good fit. Going to have a better BC than most of the 165 class hunting bullets, you’ll be able to push it fast, and they are typically very accurate.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
For shots out to 550 I see absolutely no reason to buy a different cartridge when you currently have a 308. Granted it wouldn't be my first choice it is more than capable to do everything you're asking of it with a good bullet choice. I agree with @wind gypsy just throw a decent scope on the 308 and get to pulling the trigger. The advantages of a magnum within 500 are dismal at best.
Yeah but i am not considering changing scope or way of use of the 308 i am using now. That rig is made to be the simplest point and shoot inside 250 yards gun possible. I wanna keep it that way: light, simple, handy, zeroed up to 250 yards without the need of adjustments, no FFP issues, no FFP and consequent need for a specific magnification to make drop compensation, no worries. Point and shoot inside 200-250 yards with a versatile cartridge. The scope is already decent being a khales 2-10×50i. I was asking about the caliber for a new rifle setup for longer shots and mainly still hunting.. a little bit heavier, with a bipod and a bigger and more complex scope (probably a schmidt und bender 4-16x50 FFP) whit ballistic turrets. Not exactly what you would carry in deep woods.

surely adding a bdc reticle of some kind to my actual scope would make the gun more versatile for any opportunity to shoot inside 350 meters or so but it would add complexity to a system which works very well as it is now (a part from the cartridge that i am gonna change). And then i don't like much making big elevation compensations with just a bdc without the possibility of accurate compensations for wind drift so i should stick with a FFP scope (with a SFP scope mils adjustments would be possible only at a specific magnificationamd i don't like adding this variable) but then the performance for close shots would be worse.

Yeah but i am not considering changing scope or way of use of the 308 i am using now. That rig is made to be the simplest point and shoot inside 250 yards gun possible. I wanna keep it that way: light, simple, handy, zeroed up to 250 yards without the need of adjustments, no FFP issues, no FFP and consequent need for a specific magnification to make drop compensation, no worries. Point and shoot inside 200-250 yards with a versatile cartridge. The scope is already decent being a khales 2-10×50i. I was asking about the caliber for a new rifle setup for longer shots and mainly still hunting.. a little bit heavier, with a bipod and a bigger and more complex scope (probably a schmidt und bender 4-16x50 FFP) whit ballistic turrets. Not exactly what you would carry in deep woods.

surely adding a bdc reticle of some kind to my actual scope would make the gun more versatile for any opportunity to shoot inside 350 meters or so but it would add complexity to a system which works very well as it is now (a part from the cartridge that i am gonna change). And then i don't like much making big elevation compensations with just a bdc without the possibility of accurate compensations for wind drift so i should stick with a FFP scope (with a SFP scope mils adjustments would be possible only at a specific magnificationamd i don't like adding this variable) but then the performance for close shots would be worse.
With a usable reticle the close range ffp is a non issue. Swfa mil quad is a good example of this with its large dark posts that come near the center on low power. There are others as well, just look for pictures of these ffp scopes turned down and you'll see what I mean. And there's never anything wrong with adding a second gun. Still, for the ranges you mentioned, nothing extraordinary caliber was is necessary or helpful. Change of bullet selection will benefit you the most. Slippery bullets out of any standard caliber from 6mm to 30 should do the trick.

Considering the 7mm regulation in place I would happily choose a 7mm-08 for stated distances. If going out to 700+ I'd opt for a saum/wsm or 280ai.

BjornF16

WKR
I would look at either Sauer or Sako, in 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem Mag (if you really feel you need a magnum).

Not sure what is offered in 7x64, but that would be a good option as well as 7x57.

You really don't need a 16x mag scope for 500m...I routinely practice with a fixed 6x scope at 500m (565 yards actually). Lower magnification will help with spotting your shot impact. Too high a magnification will result in losing the target in scope FOV and missing impact for self correction (or quickly getting back on target for follow up shot, if necessary).

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at either Sauer or Sako, in 7mm-08 or 7mm Rem Mag (if you really feel you need a magnum).

Not sure what is offered in 7x64, but that would be a good option as well as 7x57.

You really don't need a 16x mag scope for 500m...I routinely practice with a fixed 6x scope at 500m (565 yards actually). Lower magnification will help with spotting your shot impact. Too high a magnification will result in losing the target in scope FOV and missing impact for self correction (or quickly getting back on target for follow up shot, if necessary).

I like 7x64 actually, it's a fine cartridge and I was leaning toward it at the beginning. There is a good availability here of both rifles and cartridges. But the shootability, the accuracy, barrel life, shorter barrels, low recoil and the 30 cal pill of a 308 makes it really, really appealing. I am only concerned about the not very flat trajectory, wind drift and especially downrange energy. I think 308 really shines below 250 yards and that's why, when i built the rifle i am using now, i created a 250 m and inside gun without a bdc reticle, just to keep it the simplest it could have been..

Yeah i am aware of the debate about magnifications at different ranges, i tend to use a good magnification because roe deer are very small my friend. 50 pound animals, at 500 you want a bit of magnification even only to choose the exact area of the animal where the bullet is gonna impact, trust me :)

With a whitetail or a fellow deer the target is 3-4 times bigger and things change a lot.

Last edited: