Life after stents?

My heart attack was 10 years ago. Could not treat with stents. Tried 3 times to open it. Treating with medication. I'm 67 just got back to camp from a 6 mile hike chasing elk in Northern Idaho. Have never missed an elk hunt since the heart attack.
Ya never know what you can do 'til you try.
Trick is, knowing when to back off!

My feet and legs give out, I just sit down and rest.
Occasionally, I'll get involved in what I'm doing and forget to rest. Then, a 20-30 minute rest becomes a couple of hours!

1) Figure out your limitations.
2) Learn to operate within those limitations.
3) Always try to expand your limitations.
4) Know when to quit pushing.

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
My wife was a cardiac nurse, ICU nurse, and Interventional Radiology nurse (strokes). Sometimes, there is literally no amount of exercise, healthy diet, etc. that can prevent genetics from doing what genetics do.

She would see 30 year old healthy individuals with massive strokes, heart attacks, etc. Working as a police officer, I would see individuals with end stage cirrhosis at 35, while heavy drinkers living on the streets were still kicking at 70 years old with minimul health issues.

I get blood work done every year. I have high cholesterol (which runs in my family). I have yet to go on medication, as it's only marginally high, yet it's important for everyone...I mean EVERYONE...to do yearly physicals with blood work when you hit 30 years of age. Genetics do not care about how many salads you eat or miles you hike. That's what I have learned after hearing all the stories my wife has.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I was 50 when I had 2 stents put in. There were 3 blockages. 2 of them were close enough together that a large stent took care of both of them. I’ve always been in the gym and in great shape. No history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure or heart disease in the family. The day I had my stents put in I asked my Doctor when I could get back to the gym. He said give it 10 days and as long as your feeling fine go for it. I’m 60 now and no issues since. I am on a full aspirin and very low dosages of a BP medication. One thing I can say is that don’t let this get in your head! Don’t wrap yourself in bubble wrap! Take charge of your health and live it. I’m in better shape now than ever. My workout schedule is 4 nights of CrossFit, 3 days of a regular strength workout and 3-4 days a week I’m also riding a bike 8-10 miles at lunch. Live life to the fullest and then some!

OP
DooleyVT

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I was 50 when I had 2 stents put in. There were 3 blockages. 2 of them were close enough together that a large stent took care of both of them. I’ve always been in the gym and in great shape. No history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure or heart disease in the family. The day I had my stents put in I asked my Doctor when I could get back to the gym. He said give it 10 days and as long as your feeling fine go for it. I’m 60 now and no issues since. I am on a full aspirin and very low dosages of a BP medication. One thing I can say is that don’t let this get in your head! Don’t wrap yourself in bubble wrap! Take charge of your health and live it. I’m in better shape now than ever. My workout schedule is 4 nights of CrossFit, 3 days of a regular strength workout and 3-4 days a week I’m also riding a bike 8-10 miles at lunch. Live life to the fullest and then some!
The 10 day mark is basically what my cardiologist said too but I have been skeptical of how hard I could go after that. That’s really great to hear! I’ve been way more worried about having to be bubble wrapped than getting back to the gym and pushing myself some. Super motivating! thanks!

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
On diet, despite the many things you hear, the only proven diet to reduce risk is the Mediterranean diet. The simple version:
1. Eat vegetables instead of grains.
2. Use olive oil in place of butter and animal fats.
3. Replace read meat with fish.

Cholesterol is bad, there is no such thing as too low (well documented data support that). An LDL of less than 55 is a good place to be. Most people cannot get their with lifestyle alone, also, that number is for someone who has proven their body makes blockages (anyone who has not undergone a revascularization doesn't need to get that low).

If you have hypertension, treat it. Target a resting systolic that averages less than 130.

Avoid nicotine, marijuana, and alcohol.

Exercise, the more the better so long as proper training principles are followed.

Some things are driven by genetics and luck. Don't blame yourself, just manage the risk factors you can as best you can.

On bleeding, hold pressure for a solid 5 minutes (up to 10), look at a watch and no peaking to see if it has stopped until you cross that line. The same works for bruising. Antiplatelets don't effect the clotting cascade, only platelet aggregation, so for massive arterial bleeding quick clot will still work for you.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I had a calcium test done in February and they didn’t schedule me an appointment until just a few weeks ago, I’m 64 in a week.
I just thought no news was good news.
Wrong, my score was like 2560, in the 90th percentile of where you don’t want to be.
I go in the first week of October for a stress test, so we’ll see what happens then.
I’ve been preparing for this hunting season for so long and I’m worried that it won’t happen.
Among other things
We just have our grandchildren in the last few years, and don’t want to miss out on anything with them. Also, like others have said it really effects your confidence, and my thinking, that I’m the one who should be taking care, and protecting my family, and now I’m the burden….
Hard pill to swallow

goosedog

FNG
I had a calcium test done in February and they didn’t schedule me an appointment until just a few weeks ago, I’m 64 in a week.
I just thought no news was good news.
Wrong, my score was like 2560, in the 90th percentile of where you don’t want to be.
I go in the first week of October for a stress test, so we’ll see what happens then.
I’ve been preparing for this hunting season for so long and I’m worried that it won’t happen.
Among other things
We just have our grandchildren in the last few years, and don’t want to miss out on anything with them. Also, like others have said it really effects your confidence, and my thinking, that I’m the one who should be taking care, and protecting my family, and now I’m the burden….
Hard pill to swallow
I was in the same boat and can also relate to feeling like a burden good news is I have had a angioplasty twice and need one more it's a very simple procedure my doctor went thru my wrist I take the day of procedure off and next day take and I'm good to go take it easy on wrist for a few days are they doing a nuclear stress test on you? That's what I had it shows the blockages and what bloodflow if any is getting thru another easy procedure just pictures and then a treadmill session to get heart rate up,I had 3 months of very little sleep after I found out but between my dad who has been thru this and my doctor and nurses I'm confident I will be better than I was a year ago and that helps calm the mind I'm am actually looking forward to getting the next procedure done they limit the procedure to 3 hours due to the dye they use messing with kidneys I checked in at 12:30 procedure time was 2:30 on my way home at 7:30 if they go thru groin you have a couple more hours

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat and can also relate to feeling like a burden good news is I have had a angioplasty twice and need one more it's a very simple procedure my doctor went thru my wrist I take the day of procedure off and next day take and I'm good to go take it easy on wrist for a few days are they doing a nuclear stress test on you? That's what I had it shows the blockages and what bloodflow if any is getting thru another easy procedure just pictures and then a treadmill session to get heart rate up,I had 3 months of very little sleep after I found out but between my dad who has been thru this and my doctor and nurses I'm confident I will be better than I was a year ago and that helps calm the mind I'm am actually looking forward to getting the next procedure done they limit the procedure to 3 hours due to the dye they use messing with kidneys I checked in at 12:30 procedure time was 2:30 on my way home at 7:30 if they go thru groin you have a couple more hours
Thank you! That gives me some insight into what to expect.
Yes I’m getting the nuclear stress test.
Mine starts early around nine am so hopefully I will be home by early afternoon.
Thanks again