Lexus GX-460 or Hyundai Palisade experience/reviews?

Thinking about trading in my wife's '22 Highlander XSE. It's the sporty looking one with blacked out badges, sport suspension and steering. Problem is the seats are uncomfortable as heck, so much so that we take my '19 RAM limited on long trips and suffer the mpg loss.

We had a couple 4runners in the past and really like them, and I recall some guys talking about how much they like the Lexus version. We've looked at some used ones, and were surprised they actually come with a 4.6L V8 instead of the standard 4runner V6 but maintain the same mpg rating. Sweet! I'm not super wild about losing 5 or 6 mpg over the Highlander, but they look loaded to the gills and comfortable.

We're also looking at used Hyundai Palisades and are impressed with the vast features and perceived value. They seem to have every electronic whiz bang there is which is scary, but also very cool. The mpg is also in the high 20s.

If anybody has experience, good or bad, with either of these rigs, I'd apprecaite the feedback.

Pgohil

WKR
75k on my wife's 22 palisade. Absolutely love it. Extremely comfortable on long trips in the West Virginia hills we average about 24 to 25 MPG. Plenty of room. No issues thus far. 1st SUV I enjoy driving.
PGohil WV

Will_m

WKR
Why not go back to the 4Runner? Have been looking at it and the Lexus version lately.

My vote goes for a used certified Lexus GX460. You can easily put 200k on one and still have a reliable vehicle. I know a few people that run premium or mid grade on road trips and average about 22mpg doing 75+mph.
The Lexus has more room than the 4runner and you can usually pickup a used one for same price but it's loaded with more features.

Grumman

WKR
My wife has ~85,000 flawless miles on her 2020 GX460. It’s a great vehicle. Very smooth drivetrain and can pull a little with the V8 if needed. Seems like 6,000# but fact check me on that. I like that it’s all wheel drive and feel it’s much safer for her in the winter and our steep driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnW

WKR
Just sold my 2014 GX460 with only 65k. Trouble free! Good 4WD system , quiet interior, okay mpg, always did recommended maintenance. Interior a little cramped but solid vehicle. I would buy another if it fit my needs.

My wife has 80k on her ‘17 gx460. It handles well and she has had no issues. Stable on highway and off road. Very smooth drive for long trips.

Lexus: Top of the line, legendary Toyota reliability.

Hyundai: Marketed and purchased based on their low price. I don’t see any advantage other than the perceived “value” that might be as good of a value as it seems. Look at resale prices and the Lexus might save you money in the long run if you sell it after a couple of years.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just bought a used palisade. I end up with a new car every few months it seems. So far I’m impressed but I don’t think you can beat Toyota. That said, a new palisade has a 10/100 warranty. Buy a new one, run it 8 years and sell.

Gutshotem

WKR
We drove a new GX last weekend and my wife was left unimpressed with the ride. We had just come from the Acura dealership so she was comparing it against the MDX.

Also, for 2024 the GX will have a major overhaul with a new engine and completely different body style. Might want to check into that depending on your wants/needs.

TN2shot07

WKR
It really depends on your intended use. The Hyundai is probably fine if you want to do some commuting/mall crawling. I think the Hyundai/Kia’s are sharp but not at the prices they’re coming in at now. My SIL has a telluride with several issues already, all different sensors I think. The Lexus should be a better vehicle, will cost more unless you’re shopping used, but will also hold value better.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know anything about the Palisade but the GX460 is a great vehicle. One thing to consider beside MPG when comparing fuel cost is that the GX460 requires premium fuel. Per Lexus this is not a recommendation, but a requirement based on the design of the engine. You will get a lot of various opinions on this but any valid information states to run premium fuel to avoid potential issues and loss of performance.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
@IowaNative as a guy who works on the 460 and other Lexus models, have you seen issues with folks not using premium gas?

All- sincere thx for all the feedback this far!

Intended use- grocery getter, vacations, weightlifting meets up to 1,000 miles away, daily driving on gravel and local 2-lanes. Iowas winters with slush, ice, and sometimes deep snow.

Mpg- premium is up over $4 again and mid grade with ethanol is 3.85. If I have to take a mpg hit and use premium, 460 is likely off the table.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Any experience with the RX-350 (Lexus version of Highlander)? We’d likely go with FWD instead of AWD, for better mpg and to avoid transfer case issues. If it had comfy seats it may be an option that is familiar.

We’re looking at preowned for everything, 30-50k miles.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Any experience with the RX-350 (Lexus version of Highlander)? We’d likely go with FWD instead of AWD, for better mpg and to avoid transfer case issues. If it had comfy seats it may be an option that is familiar.

Be careful on pre-owned. Especially Japanese. You can EASILY accidentally pay the same or more for a used vehicle over a new one right now. PM if you need any help.

We have a 2020 RX350 with 56k miles on it. Not a single issue so far and it averages 23.5 mpg over the life so far.

We have the L version with the 3rd row. The ride is outstanding. The seats are comfortable but take some adjusting to get the settings right.

If there is any potential off roading the GX will be the better choice, but you will suffer mileage penalty and ride quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: